A good carpenter in Melbourne inner NE?

Hi all

We need some work done in our PPOR in Northcote, hanging a double door and possibly putting in some built in robes in a bedroom.

Please let me know if you can recommend a good chippie anywhere in the inner NE suburbs.

Thanks
Jonathon

PS if you have any idea of what a sensible quote would be for the following work, I'd appreciate that too:

Double door - the frame is already in place, but without the bit of the frame that butts out from the wall and stops the door from opening outwards, just need to fix that bit of the frame, source two doors, hang them, put on door handles (no lock required) and paint, although we'll probably paint ourselves.

I will ask my partner tonight a rough price for that.
As for getting the chippy to source the door, my partner wouldn't do that, and if he did he would be charging you for the time and and delivery.
Besides what if he picked a style of door you didn't like?

Oh and to clarify, these double doors are internal right?
Entry doors cost more to install.
You will also need hinges. The better quality ones are lockwood.

Asked him and he said to hang the doors reasonable would be $150 - $200.

As for built in robe it's hard to say without seeing and knowing.
For a start chippy would need to frame out, and you will need a plasterer to plaster the frame.
If I were you I would have an idea before calling chippys to quote.
Figure out how big, how high, if you want shelves, what sort of doors etc.
Good luck

Oh I forgot to add, those rates are for a qualified chippy.
I'm tipping you want to put doors on what has been an opening. I would steer clear of getting a handyman to do the work.
If you do get a handyman in, those rates I quoted should reduce a fair bit. Also a chippy would have the experience and know how to deal with the job if the walls and jamb are out.

true

Tools, you are dead on there.
I have employed chippies with 10 yrs exp who couldn't swing a door. That said a qualified trades person will generally have more experience.
Those rate seem a bit low for a chippy too by the way. Once you fctor travel time etc. Those rates are for a chippy to swing doors if he is on site and has a few to swing. Rates are approx $120 per door to swing hollow core.
Solid doors are more again, right through to about $450 for a double fire door.
Biggest issue we have had is the quality of tools used by "Said" chippies.
Secret tip for forumites- check to see if your carpenter keeps his chisels in a chisel roll. This speaks volumes about the quality. If he/she looks after the chisels, they know the imporance of having a good edge, and now that a sharp (as in razor sharp) chisel is imperitive to a quality door swing. If hey have blunt chisels you can be sure they will butcher the rebates for the striker and lock. (I spend approx 1 hr every Sat morn, honing my chisels, and when swinging multiple doors, touch them up on a diamond stone at smoko as well)

good luck

Secret tip for forumites- check to see if your carpenter keeps his chisels in a chisel roll. This speaks volumes about the quality. If he/she looks after the chisels, they know the imporance of having a good edge, and now that a sharp (as in razor sharp) chisel is imperitive to a quality door swing.

Great tip Adrien, thanks for that.

Back