a good tax agents fee

Hi,
How much should a good tax agent charge?

im at a delimma where i have a hopeless tax agent and i believe his charging top dollar.

I didnt even sign off on lodging the refund and i get a call today saying the cheque is waiting for me.

Its too broad a question.

1. Type of returns. Individuals, trusts, companies, smsf number of properties etc
2. What type of service do you want. Basic returns only. Ask questions during the year. Structuring advice.

All these things determine price. Like terry said you can get a cheap meal for $5 and you get what you paid for or a 5 star michelin meal for $500. And everything in between

No trust involved.
Just payg... one year i had no investment properties.

Second year i had 1 investment property
Third year i had 2 investment property.

Ok when i said top dollar might have been over exaggerating :confused:
the year i didnt habe any investment properties i got charged 180.

I not upset about the fees im more upset with the services and lack of communication, as im paying the price with a minimal tax return.

I just wanted to know what other people get charged.
And also a place to vent..

Ok when i said top dollar might have been over exaggerating :confused:
the year i didnt habe any investment properties i got charged 180.

I not upset about the fees im more upset with the services and lack of communication, as im paying the price with a minimal tax return.

I just wanted to know what other people get charged.
And also a place to vent..

$180 isn't top dollar. That's cheap. But then lodging without consent is a problem. What service and assistance do you get ? Access through email or phone ??
A cheque ?? The ATO don't send cheques. If its written by the agent you need to carefully check the ORIGINAL notice of assessment equals the refund (unless you agreed to a fee from refund arrangement).

$180 is cheap. Agreed with Paul he shouldn't have lodged without your signature on the return. But to be fair you also need to consider your own thinking as you said " i believe his charging top dollar". Your belief is wrong. He is charging a low fee and is a low quality provider. What service do you expect for $180. You are paying for a cheap charlie and really his service is probably right for the fee being charged.

$180 is cheap. Agreed with Paul he shouldn't have lodged without your signature on the return. But to be fair you also need to consider your own thinking as you said " i believe his charging top dollar". Your belief is wrong. He is charging a low fee and is a low quality provider. What service do you expect for $180. You are paying for a cheap charlie and really his service is probably right for the fee being charged.

If he took three hours for $180 my view would be different to 20mins and riddled with errors.

Which is why i ask how much is a normal fee.. n 180 might be cheap but when my return is 200 bucks i do consider it expensive

It is totally irrelevant what you get back. If you claim underpants as a deduction you may get more back, but underpants are not a legitimate expense. An employer may also withhold more tax than they should have. All this could result in a bigger claim.

you need someone who will follow the law and make sure you are claim all legitlate deductions.

Which is why i ask how much is a normal fee.. n 180 might be cheap but when my return is 200 bucks i do consider it expensive

LOL........this is the sort of logic that contributed to me leaving the accounting profession. :):):):)

It's about time the ATO caught up with the rest of the world and required no income tax returns and no tax deductions to be claimed for employees on PAYG. That's right I forgot, it's every PAYG taxpayers right to get a large refund and if they don't it's the Accountants fault.

Ok maybe im just having a whing... but it just pushed my braking point when he rang and said i lodge ur tax return when i ask that i wanted it reviewed. just feel like everything seems to be going against me this year.
ill let it be.

Mine charges me 180 for everything, she also answers all my questions by email for free which I reckon is a bonus as my last guy used to try and charge me lol

Back