A new ISP - Recommendations

Hi crc,

Those new plans are Peak/Off Peak (yuck!). Also, if you are an existing Internode customer, they will sting you a $200 fee for transferring or whatever. Also, they hit you with a 24 month contract.

There's a reason why it's so cheap.

Mark

We can't get naked ADSL at our switch yet. I am with Internode and pretty happy so far.

But I won't be happy about paying to switch just because I am already a client!

Mark, Not sure about peak off peak, I'm on it, and its 50 gig. only diff is it counts uploads. not sure about the $200 fee your talking about.. but i'm not going anywhere.. happy with my service, nice and quick!

Those new plans are Peak/Off Peak (yuck!). Also, if you are an existing Internode customer, they will sting you a $200 fee for transferring or whatever. Also, they hit you with a 24 month contract

I'm not sure if you are looking at the same plans Mark.

The Internode Easy Broadband plans have:

1. no peak/off peak ... same speed all day
2. quota does count uploads as well as downloads, unlike other Internode plans (this is why they are "cheap")
3. no charge to change to Easy Broadband if you are an existing Internode ADSL customer
4. 24 month contract comes with a $79 connection fee (for new or transferring customers) ... or you can pay $129 connection fee and avoid the contract altogether

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/adsl/easy_broadband/plans/

and

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/adsl/easy_broadband/faq/

It's a pretty good deal really, especially if you don't tend to upload a lot of content (eg send lots of emails with large attachments, or upload video to YouTube, etc).

By comparison, I'm on a SOHO NakedExtreme 50 plan (50GB download, unlimited upload) and it's costing me $89.95 per month (I do get a few more features for the money though).

I push my link pretty hard (although I don't download pirated movies from the internet), because I work from home ... I'm only just hitting 50GB per month usage now, and that's mostly because I back up all of the content from my websites daily, which uses quite a bit.

I think 50GB will be more than enough (for now) for most average (and a bit above average) users.

It's a pretty good deal really, especially if you don't tend to upload a lot of content (eg send lots of emails with large attachments, or upload video to YouTube, etc).

lol, 50 gig is allot of youtube videos and email attachments!

you would only use this up if you use p2p file sharing.

We run a small game server at home and it uses a surprising amount of uploads - not 50G but not insignificant either. I upload a lot of stuff but it tends to be in < 200k chunks so probably doesn't add up to much.

Also remember that internet traffic goes both ways - you ask for a website by clicking on a link, that's an upload. All packets (downloaded stuff) you recieve get acknowledged. There's a constant fraction of your normal web surfing that is uploads.

Also remember that internet traffic goes both ways - you ask for a website by clicking on a link, that's an upload. All packets (downloaded stuff) you recieve get acknowledged. There's a constant fraction of your normal web surfing that is uploads.

Your uploads for such transactions would represent 10% of the download. so on 50 gig of browsing, 5 gig would be uploads.

Browsing would not use large amounts, but downloads of files etc would

I'm not sure if you are looking at the same plans Mark.

I'm on the NakedUltra 40 - 99 bucks a month for 40 gigs. When I tried to swap over to the one you have, Internode told me I would have to pay a $200 charge and go on a two year contract.

I was told they were looking into changing the set up so people like me could swap over. But that was 6 months ago. I'm starting to lose patience with them and am thinking of going to another provider.

Mark

I'm on the NakedUltra 40 - 99 bucks a month for 40 gigs. When I tried to swap over to the one you have, Internode told me I would have to pay a $200 charge and go on a two year contract.

I was told they were looking into changing the set up so people like me could swap over. But that was 6 months ago. I'm starting to lose patience with them and am thinking of going to another provider.

Hmm ... that's one of the Optus Wholesale services I think ... a bit different and I believe there were some issues with them (they are no longer being sold).

According to the Ultra FAQ, there should be no cost to change over to Easy Naked (which is not what I'm on, but it is a path they are offering), but yes, they do expect you to go onto a 24 month contract as a result.

http://www.internode.on.net/support/end_of_sale/migrate_ultra/

I also looked through the contract conditions, and the only thing I can find worth $200 is a cancellation fee for certain types of service which were on a 24 month contract (which all Ultra services would be), if they were set up between 11th November 2008 and 20th April 2009.

... so it could well be this early termination fee they were quoting for you to change over.

Do you remember when you signed up for your Ultra service?

We have a 40G plan with Internode and have been with them two years. On the occassion we go over the limit, their rates are very agreeable. Previously we were with Optus and when we went over the limit we were reduced to dial up speed until the end of the month!! When we relocated Internode were very easy to deal with - can't recommend them highly enough

Back