A question about tenants during a house sale

A few weeks ago I mentioned that we want to sell up the property in Gladstone, using the fact that it has a current lease for another six or seven months in place as a selling point. My learned colleagues here pointed out that the most likely purchaser would be an Owner Occupier, which I agree with after recalling Matusik's report.

Do you think that, if I write to the tenants offering a private sale because I think it would save them the hassle of having people view the property, that they would just pack up and move out and I would lose the current rent? Forgetting about break-lease agreements, if they don't pay, they don't pay. They can move around the corner for $120 a week less.

Do I send them the letter, or just go through an agent. Mind you I emailed an agent that I have good memories of from 2012, on Friday or Saturday, and he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

That would be my fear. What's the average time on the market where you are selling? Are you willing to risk your current return for the possibility of a sale?

I would put it on the market with the tenants in place and cross the vacant possession bridge when you come to it.

If the buyer wants it vacant you can always offer the tenants some cash to go.

James

Back