A question for the girls - How much clothes do you have in your wardrobe?

I went out with some friends one night and I mentioned I was cleaning out my wardrobe. I had 80 tops - t-shirts, jackets, etc, and was trying to cut down. They couldn't believe I had so many. How many tops are in your wardrobe?

I once worked with a guy who showed us 78 pairs of shoes, 30 odd belts, dozens of colognes and hundreds of actual clothing. It took the entire master bedroom of his home.

And yes, he was was straight.

So it seems it's more of a hoarding thing! It was my gay female friends who seemed the most suprised.

Last edited:
I probably have 15 or 20 shirts/blouses on hangers (and don't ever wear half of them) and probably the same number of folded t-shirts (good dressier ones and daggies that I exercise in).

I wear jeans a LOT or cropped pants. Don't think I have worn a dress for over ten years, and I keep a couple of skirts but never wear them. I have probably eight pairs of shoes and wear mostly joggers most days and flat slides or heels with dressier pants if I go out.

I am pretty simple really and have pared down my clothing as I get older. When I was in the workforce I wore dresses and skirts but once I had kids, dresses just were not easy to sit around on the floor in, so they slowly were replaced by trousers.

If I went back into the workforce I would perhaps wear dresses or skirts, but my lifestyle suits jeans/trousers and dress them up with blouses or dress them down with tshirts.

I am not a hoarder and mostly cannot bear storing stuff that is not used.

My wife is not a shopper - one hour in "the Mall" - or any shoppin' cenna does her head in.

Hangin' with the bogues and the crowds and all.

She barely tolerates most of the human race like me. :eek:

She dresses well, but looks for bargains and spends little overall.

her whole wardrobe of hanging garments is on one wall of the robe.

I've trained her well. :D

I probably have about 30 hanging tops and about another 20 more casual ones in a drawer. I'm a girlie girl so have about 40 dresses and skirts though. I definately don't think I have a lot compared to most of the women I know, I'm probably about average, maybe less. My Winter warddrobe is pathetic and lacking greatly because I hate Winter clothes, but my Summer warddrobe is quite adequate.

Ok I just counted...

14 shirts/tops that require hanging

20 or so t-shirts, long soft tops etc and about

10 or so singlets/sleeveless tops that I wear under different shirts (unbuttoned IYKWIM)

I think I have about 4 dresses and maybe 5 skirts.

I wear jeans A LOT. Agree with the previous poster re: having kids and not wearing skirts! Also can't wear dangly jewellery or low cut tops (constantly bending over). Forget wearing your long hair gently cascading over your shoulders. For the countless nappy changes on dodgy flooring you almost need kneepads too.

I've only just started wearing my lovely skirts again and my kids are 6 and 4.

I have to be on the alert to stickers on my butt (yes it's happened) and little fists grabbing your top and exposing your bosom at any given moment. Swimming lessons got a bit interesting sometimes with grabbing hands.

Sorry got off topic here... my wardrobe is really quite empty but I spend money on other things I guess.

This thread has reminded me that I need to cull some of the clutter in my wardrobe again.
I dare not think how many dresses/jackets/tops/pants that I have.

Rob and I each brought a carry on luggage to Australia.This is for 8 months.
I brought 8 tops,2 shorts,3 jeans,sneakers,sandals,underwear/socks.
I bought a sweater when I arrived, as it was a bit chilly still.

Our house sitting hosts marvelled at how little we brought, as they took more than that for their holidays.

The only time we need to check our luggage is for internal flights, as we are over the weight limit.

I know i have a lot of clothes.. everyone always mentions it when they see our "wardrobe".... which is actually the fourth bedroom with three chests of drawers and five hanging racks in it..

i would have a guess that my tshirt draw which has tshirts and singlets would have have close to 60 tops in it..... four to five piles of about 10-15 each pile.

I have at least 8 full work suits. Plus various other single pieces - skirts, jackets, suit pants etc.

Dresses: 5 maxi's and around 20 knee length.

I have a range of sizes in my wardrobe too... i tend to go up and down in size a bit so i have a regular rotation in the size i happen to be at the time.

I do cull regularly and sell stuff i dont wear on Ebay. I am actually pretty ruthless... but i do buy something at least once a week or fortnight... and i went through a stage when i first starting working full time where i bought ALOT of stuff every week. I didn't have many friends in sydney when i first moved here and used to go shopping just to get out and do something.

But i do tend to keep anything of quality even if it doesn't currently fit because i know it will fit at some stage with my weight fluctuations.

Hubby isn't much better..... i reckon he has 80-100 shirts... not that i have counted but he has a whole hanger jam packed with them.
:D

Off to cull the wardrobe as this post makes me feel a bit riddiculous...

I don't have a lot. Our wardrobe is only small. You have to go through it to get to the ensuite and has a sliding door on each side. I think it is around 90cm each side. On my side there are two hanging shoe racks inside which cuts down the space considerably. I think I have 2 or 3 dresses in there, of which I only ever wear one, about 4 pairs of nice pants, just in case I decide to go to work, and a skirt (I hate skirts & dresses btw. I have a handful of dressy shirts in there too.

What I do live in is my jeans. I have two pairs that are identical and they are worn all the time as well as some 3/4 pairs, as I don't wear shorts. I also have several pairs of leggings for lounging around the home in. They are so comfy. Then I have a heap of TShirts to go with the jeans/leggings/3/4pants.

Hubby, on the other hand has more clothes than a teenage girl. His side of the wardrobe is full and has now morphed into Lil's old room. Both wardrobes contain heaps of work shirts (apparently you can never get enough of them) and he is always complaining that he doesn't have enough. He also has a tallboy, a small old bedside draw in our wardrobe, a large tall skinny set of draws in Lil's room plus the draws in Lil's wardrobe. All these draws are full of clothes AND he still has stuff lying around.:eek:

I actually have a wardrobe wardrobe, you know, those wooden box things with doors :)

I have maybe 20-30 tops but I'm between sizes at the moment (breastfeeding), so I have all my usual clothes still sitting there AND I have horrible dumpy unattractive clothes that I can actually get my boobs into at the moment. Jeans are the same, I have about 3 pairs that would normally fit me and then I have another half dozen in incrementally larger sizes I'm slowly working my way back down through. Only one fits at the moment and it is a poor fit. I have half a dozen dresses too, none of which I can wear at the moment because you can't easily get boobs out of your average dress.

I still have 5kg to lose, which is the difference between a size 12 and size 8. Then I can get rid of all my big clothes. Sadly, the boobs are always the last thing to go so all summer I'm going to look like I'm a stick insect with a couple of cantaloupes stuffed down my top. I'm currently waiting for an inch to remove itself from my waist so I can stop wearing 30" jeans that are too big and start wearing 28" ones that currently won't do up. Argh!

I can't imagine how big someone's wardrobe could get if they just bought new clothes every time they changed size and didn't get rid of the old stuff - I have bare minimum stuff in larger sizes and my cupboard feels like overcrowded squishedville ...

..Not a girl, however

I like the 80-20 rule

You'll find that you wear 20% of your wardrobe 80% of the time (your favourite clothes).

The Remaining 80% of you wardrobe is used 20% of the time (special occasions, events, peak of the season changes etc).

Mr OO is world's best organiser, it follows through to clothing.

Socks all color matched, size folded in 3 separate drawers, socks for work, socks for watching tv, socks for casual dressing, 'special' socks for important dressing up.

Jocks are all in one draw, but there are favorites, they must support and be comfortable but not daggy looking. He has a favorite brand and colors.

The super good trousers all hang together in wardrobe, alongside next best pants/trousers, some of which he bought but regretted because one pair has a button up friggin' fly and if he has a few drinks he can't 'easily' go pee.

Shirts are too numerous to mention, but workshirts must be sewn up partly then button so they don't catch on machinery or 'stuff'. They MUST have two button down pockets, for phone and anything else he needs to keep in them. They MUST be cotton, he hates artificial manmade materials. Cotton and his body can breathe. He also likes singlets, the ad of Pat Rafter in bonds blue singlet, the typical Ozzy farmer...is Mr OO.

Then he has a thing for hats, I've never seen a person with so many hats, maybe Michael Jackson???

The farm hats, the baseball caps, the full head coverage, the materials that they MUST be made from, then there are his 'good' hats, his life is spent dividing things into 'that's workwear' and the 'good wearing' stuff.

Then there are his boots and shoes, we better not go there if we don't have half a day. One time it was he hated lace up boots, now for whatever reason it's laceup boots for the farm, why? who knows....:confused:

I cannot keep up with all this.

He hates wool. He will not wear woollen jumpers but then he gets cold in winter. Wool is not practical he says, (he has 2000 sheep mind you).

It goes on....

Me? He tries to organise my clothing, my clothes, he tries to organise everyones clothing.
He gets nowhere with me, clothing wise...(although he mysteriously buys these sexy things and brings homes and wants me to play dressups in...which is fun!) I'm sorry to say, my regard for clothes is ...'oh, what's that I've chucked on the floor from night before?"

That'll do.

I have some stuff, some everyday stuff, some stuff to dress up in...I can figure the difference and no one ever complains how I look, I do have a pair of high heels I became smitten with (and I am NOT a shoe person), but they are black and have little sparkly diamonds, for some reason they caught my eye and I love them, my only proper pair of high heels, but they are also nice to walk in-and no, I don't have any urge to buy 300 more pairs.

I look good in both pink and blue.:):D

Can I go now? :D

Haha. Had to laugh when I saw your post. Only last Sunday did I decide to cull my wardrobe.
I've lost 9kg and was going to go shopping for smaller jeans etc but thought I'd clean out first.
Well I found 4 near new 3/4 pants that now fit me.:D:D

I go to Bali often and there is a great shop there that sells good dresses, skirts and tops suitable for work so I have LOTS. Generally though I don't like shopping so don't buy many clothes. I do have a problem though throwing stuff out. Made evident by the high waisted jeans and cords :eek: in my wardrobe.

I do cull a bit each time I go to Bali. I always take a suitcase full of stuff to give away.

I'm happy to say I have 2 large garbage bags ready to go to Vinnies. Nothing wrong with the clothes just some too big and some I haven't worn for years.
There are still some things I couldn't bear to part with but have vowed to throw them out in my Spring clean up if I haven't worn them this summer.

I read somewhere hat each time you buy an item of clothing you should throw something out. Might try that.

I have a range of sizes in my wardrobe too... i tend to go up and down in size a bit so i have a regular rotation in the size i happen to be at the time.
Ha, for some reason I thought you were male previously.

My weight fluctuates too. I've just bought a couple of long skirts with elastic waists to try and solve that problem. I find often with pants, I'll put them in the wash and when I get them back they're either too big or too small.

I've started sorting my wardrobe by colour. I find you realise, "Do I really need 5 white blowses"?

Last edited:
Back