A Small Observation

Not quite the posts there were but still jolly good quality. :)

I much prefer more discussion within posts rather than 100's of random ones. Makes it much easier to read.

I don't think there had ever been any posts which haven't been answered by someone helpful. Is there any stats on this?

Cheers Brenda :D

If the stats show reduced activity, perhaps it's time to ask why for positive reasons.

I have some questions and observations.

Do you think the forum is welcoming enough to strangers (newbies) ?

Do strangers feel encouraged to do more than observe, viz. to post, ask questions, and introduce themselves ?

Is there a policy or strategy in place to make newbies feel welcome and to introduce them around ?

Conflict and criticism between members will discourage participation from observers and newbies who feel they know even less than those arguing, and don't want to appear stupid, be poorly treated or ignored, and they don't want to step on toes, holy ground or someone else's turf.

Wouldn't want to see the forum lose ground, it's such a fantastic forum, and I'm grateful to be a participant.

cheers
crest133

Reactions: Les
G'day Crest,

Now there is a bunch of good questions !!!

It is well-known that anyone "too close" to a situation can often be blind to things that are glaringly obvious to others. Recognising this, I'm not even going to attempt to respond (as I reckon I could be "too close" to be objective) but.... I'd sure LOVE to hear others' answers/thoughts - whether they are "newbies", regulars, lurkers, etc. Let's hear YOUR views

And thanks for posting the questions Crest,

Regards,

Les said:
G'day Crest,

Now there is a bunch of good questions !!!

It is well-known that anyone "too close" to a situation can often be blind to things that are glaringly obvious to others. Recognising this, I'm not even going to attempt to respond (as I reckon I could be "too close" to be objective) but.... I'd sure LOVE to hear others' answers/thoughts - whether they are "newbies", regulars, lurkers, etc. Let's hear YOUR views

Well when I joined last November, I found the forum quite welcoming.

Definitely the best forum I've read, and the most mature, (as in the attitudes of its members). :)

Hi,

My wife has been a member for sometime, and I originally joined because she got annoyed with me marking the threads as read.

At present I am reading what I want and leaving the rest. The good thing about the forum is that you can learn at your own pace. Whether you want to know about the softer investment subjects or the hardcore finance, tax and wraps and other strategies. The information is available.

I have seen some people make short shrift of others opinions (doin' a John Laws), but most of the time the conversation is reasonably open.

Maybe there are ways of introducing the more sanguine newbies (a special post feature or questionare), however in most cases people will only respond once they feel comfortable and safe.

I'm with Househunter. "The knowledge you can gain from this forum is very valuable whether you post or not."

You guys are probably aware I'm reasonably new to the forum. From past experience I've got some stuff that might be useful (this ain't attempting to teach you guys how to 'suck eggs', just thought I'd contribute):

- Mods MUST be neutral. No matter what. I've found the SS Mods great, no excellent. And I've generally found this is not the case elsewhere (not just property). I don't mean the Mods can't have an opinion! But they must appear to be fair to all (even if they disagree with one side). Example: Favoring more 'senior posters', just because one member has 3 trillion posts and another only 5. New forumites need guidance. They don't want to feel that some 'senior' member is getting preferential treatment just because they're more 'senior'. This really puts people off. The 'browsers' are very unlikely to join. Mods should be respected, not hated.

- More IN YOUR FACE STICKIES! People do not initially read web pages, they scan them. Unless the sticky is really obvious they never get there. And then newbies accidently come across a post of a member complaining about newbies not reading stickies! "Maybe this forum isn't so nice after all..." Is there any way this can be changed in vb? Would it be possible to display something in the join up process? Some other way? Being an IT person with some experience of setting forums up I'm aware there is no easy answer to this - but could we trial something? Could we have a 'New members' forum (from the default forum home page) that does not allow posting but has a cheery welcome, guidance and all the FAQ's?

- Less members complaining about repeated posts, oh and less members complaining about repeated posts! People don't do it deliberately! They do it because they think it's important to contribute/ funny whatever. I've come across this at SS a number of times (once with myself) and the resulting whinge from a member really p^& me off. When members are new (especially to forums generally) they use BASIC stuff. They don't tend to use the search function because they're figuring everything else out. Don't crap on them for not carrying out a search, give them some time to learn the ropes. Be reasonable! Show them how to search - better yet, make it a thread in the 'Newbies' forum. I understand you can't stop people having a 'dig' at newbies, but a few suggestions from the Mods can work wonders.

I think SS is great. I'm getting to know a few of the personalities - and the ones without personalities. I've made a few bloopers along the way, and have seen a few. I wouldn't worry re the drop in numbers, that's more the market, they'll come back if the quality stays the same. I assume it will.

Programmer said:
I wouldn't worry re the drop in numbers, that's more the market, they'll come back if the quality stays the same. I assume it will.
I think you are correct that the drop in numbers is the state of the markert, however I don't believe those same posters will be back. I think a lot have moved on for good. Some because they believe they have learnt all they needed. Some because most investors only buy one property & they have accomplished that. Some for personal reasons. Some because they have moved out of property & into shares. Some because they bought at the height of the boom & lost money. And many other reasons.

I do, however, believe that as soon as property is "flavour of the month" once again we will have a whole swag of newbies once again, some who will stay & accomplish great things & some who are just "flash in the pans", and so the cycle continues.

Bargain Hunter said:
Hi,

My wife has been a member for sometime, and I originally joined because she got annoyed with me marking the threads as read.

BH

Nice to see that she finally got you to join as you guys know what you're doing with your reno's and getting good buys.

See Change

see_change said:
BH

Nice to see that she finally got you to join as you guys know what you're doing with your reno's and getting good buys.

See Change
Next on the list are the kids who look over my shoulder & answer posts for me.

Brenda Irwin said:
Maybe a special Junior section
Oh yeah! Can we? Can we? Please, please!

Seriously, damn good idea. Are we not for encouraging our kids to at least have some understanding of what we're trying to achieve, as a whole? Wonder if there will be any 'Geoffs' among them? I know it's full of potential problems. But we know problems are just opportunities, don't we?

Wouldn't it be sooooooo cute to snoop on them? OK, I'm getting all sqishy now, I'll stop. :D

various :D said:
Maybe a special Junior section

Oh yeah! Can we? Can we? Please, please!

Seriously, damn good idea. Are we not for encouraging our kids to at least have some understanding of what we're trying to achieve, as a whole?
Mmmm !!! But WHO would lead/inspire/set homework for such a forum? Any ideas? Volunteers? (Thinks - we might have two here right upfront - or did everyone else just take one step back? :eek: )

More info please - and not just on the junior section - this is all great stuff!!

Regards,

Think I just got knocked over in the rush (away!).

OK, I opened up my big mouth. I'm happy to take on some role in the process if it goes anywhere (the 'Junior' thread I mean, sorry Les). My kids are going to be 'kids' for many years yet, so I'd just see it as part of being a Dad. There's many issues to consider...

Maybe we can start this off by making this sticky???? Get reactions, thoughts, considerations etc etc of other forumites - positive and possibly negative.

Cheers,

Kids forums are like kids chat rooms. There are issues with establishing which are the real kids & which are the (adult) predators.

There's no value in exposing the forum to the legal and ethical risks.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I would like to think that my joining this great property site was a contrarian indicater.

I certainly wasn't interested in discussing property investing a few years ago when I felt it was fully valued, and there was so many bargains in the sharemarket. The market was full of hype, and there were about six TV shows about property investing.

Now that the hype is moving to the sharemarket, and the bargains are starting to appear in property you great people may not have to put up with my constant share talk all the time.

Where I live the discounting is starting. I have my eye on a few lifestyle blocks that have been discounted and been for sale for many months. They would have been snapped up just 12 months ago.

See ya's.

Where I live the discounting is starting. I have my eye on a few lifestyle blocks that have been discounted and been for sale for many months. They would have been snapped up just 12 months ago.

Topcropper,
the only question is how far do they drop till someone thinks
they are fair market value,10%,15%,0r 20%,i think that will be the only
way any vendors will sell next year,some in the street im working in have
been on the market for over 6 months and droped 70k in sales price,and the vendors still want the prices from 2 and half years ago.
good luck
willair.

I dunno Willair.

I'm no property expert, and that's why I'm on this forum to learn. You just have to go when you think it's time. Any lifestyle block that I bought would be very negatively geared. I'm right into land content, and as I live in the bush, it means buying lifestyle blocks, as there is still not much land content in most rural houses.

If property continued to drop after I bought, then that's what happens. I'm very used to this having been so into shares. Investment classes usually go from being very overbought, then to very underbought, then back again. As I move into property, I will increase my gearing. Being highly geared into shares makes one loose sleep.

So, that's no help is it.

See ya's.

Willair,

Wouldn't it be nice to have a model that combines asking price and time on market as well as market price and rental value.

Over several cycles you've be able to see how long it takes for people to change from bullish to bearish on their property sales prices.....or for that matter how long to change from bearish to bullish.

That'd really give you a clear indication of the fact that historically it takes people 3-5 years to change their expectations (and not only in property) - and this is a core factor in the time it takes markets to change direction.
Or have I said too much already :D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

If property continued to drop after I bought, then that's what happens. I'm very used to this having been so into shares. Investment classes usually go from being very overbought, then to very underbought, then back again. As I move into property, I will increase my gearing. Being highly geared into shares makes one loose sleep.

Topcropper,

yes it takes a certain type of person to watch a share price go
up 50% in a week and still hold for that extra 20% till the next day
the same as it takes to watch the price drop 30% in a week and not sell.
im in this forum for the same reason to learn and share a few ideas that have worked for me over the years,but imho,property and share markets
are all the same you just have to understand what undervalued means
in your risk terms.
good luck
willair.

Back