A strong aussie$ & buying in NZ

Do you think it is a good idea to use the strong australian dollar and by into New Zealand? The market there seems to be on an upward trend and has very strong rental returns. Also there is no stamp duty or capital gains tax.

I just spoke to my colleague last week who invested in properties in NZ (she did not mention the city so i am not sure where they are and whether they are houses or apartments). However she had to get rid of them at a huge loss as vacancy rate was high plus it is so far away so it was hard to manage the PM.

She also had one property locally which is doing well, no hassle and fully tenanted and told me that she would purchase locally from now on.

reminds me of when i was thinking of buying a 5m tinnie (boat) from NZ due to the doller being so strong and all , the other half looked over my shoulder "as they do" and said your f******* mad i said why ? you will drown bringing it back , i laughed and told her i was actually thinking of puting it in a container ??? she said OH!

There have been some threads on this previously if you'd like to check.

From memory, there was a big run up in property prices over there a few years ago, and now their economy is stuffed.

I'd look at it if yields were there.... but then there's the vacancies.

A big "DYOR" on this one!

If you guys are looking to take a currency punt there's always CFDs. Otherwise why bother with NZ? If you want property that does not require much money to buy, you'd be better off buying somewhere locally.

a very wise man told me years ago there's no capital gains tax in nz Because there's no capital gain

Hmmm, I wouldn't be so sure of that.
On the property side of things, I would say investing in capital cities close to Universities and Technical colleges would return great value. NZ is a stepping stone for many people from all walks of life and countries. Their target is Australia, and as permanent residence here.
Migrants find it easier to gain a degree/diploma or other qualification and take out citizenship in NZ. Once this is gained, they have easy entry into Australia and permanent residency status, plus a qualification recognised here without any further education, because of the Trans Tasman agreement. Students in NZ make up a big proportion of tenancy of rented property. Not the best tenants in a lot of cases, but mostly reliable as the property agents have right to make application of rents payable from students Government assisted allowances. It's not a bad scheme, and if they should default, the agency makes application for black-listing the tenant and it appears on their record when re-applying somewhere else.
So I would say, property bought wisely in close proxmity of a learning institution would make a good return. Students are not fussy on what the place looks like, so long as it's a house with rooms and cooking/bathing facilities, they do not care.

there's also no employment. how will they pay the rent?

They pay the rent using their dole money (govt guaranteed income).
WHen i went there to buy a place like many others at the time, i was told it's good to have unemployed tenants because they have a secure income. It's not like they'll lose their job the following week and can't pay the rent. I looked around and bought a house in Jan 2004 for NZ$50,300 then spent NZ$11,000 to reno. I was getting $170pw from a guy who'd been on the dole for years and came highly recommended by the property manager. Sold it in March 2007 for NZ$106,000. The x-rate when i bought was .89, x-rate when i sold was .88. Today it's about .75 .

Hi, cap gains in NZ is the same as anywhere else. A house in Auckland pre 03 would be I guess under $200K then there was an explosive growth in the early noughties. The cap gain just after the GST would have doubled the median price.

I'm just guesstimating. I bought in 03/04

From 05 onwards, it's flat to downward crazy.

It's not a bad idea to buy in NZ. Vacancy rates are no worse than other places during a downturn. Prices haven't really gone down that much.

The student units I bought are still chugging along at the same rate as when I started.

The interesting part is with P&I, every month earning extra $8, the cashflow after 8.5 years is fantastic, think of it, 102 x $8 = $816 extra every month

And that's all after tax, nett. I still have 5 years of zero tax.

The yield is around 8.5% nett ROI between 18-20%

So far, one unit had around 1 month of no rent otherwise it's fully tenanted.

KY

I am looking to buy in NZ too, even thouhg there is no capital gain tax in NZ , when I sell it, do I have to pay for capital gain tax in AUstralia for capital gain in NZ?

I am looking to buy in NZ too, even thouhg there is no capital gain tax in NZ , when I sell it, do I have to pay for capital gain tax in AUstralia for capital gain in NZ?

HI
When purchasing in NZ you don't pay CG in NZ or in Australia and you don't pay stamp duty on the property purchase.

I have used Mark Honeybone from MH Ventures who sources some great deals, some great cash flow + stuff,
and here is another link
http://www.property-investors.co.nz/

I am onto my second deal, am flipping. I think the strong Australian $ makes it very attractive proposition at the moment.

Cheers, MTR

HI
When purchasing in NZ you don't pay CG in NZ or in Australia and you don't pay stamp duty on the property purchase.

I have used Mark Honeybone from MH Ventures who sources some great deals, some great cash flow + stuff,
and here is another link
http://www.property-investors.co.nz/

I am onto my second deal, am flipping. I think the strong Australian $ makes it very attractive proposition at the moment.

Cheers, MTR

that's to do with the FTA, isn't it? something about the loophole whereby NZ'ers who become Australian Citizens sell their NZ property *technically* should pay CGT as they are an Australian resident for taxation purposes.

so the FTA does away with this but also opens up the gate for "natural" Australian residents for taxation purposes being able to buy and sell NZ property without CGT as well, as the law only sees the "resident for taxation purposes", not "the bit before that".

Back