ABC TV Reporter

Answers in red below

2003 or 2001? Don't mean to quibble, maybe it is just a typo. Fairly significantly different periods in the boom though. Seriously a place you bought for 105K either 4 or 7 years ago is renting out for some 270 / week? Even if it was 7 years ago I find that a bit hard to believe. But okay, maybe you spent a bunch on the place making it nice.
Correct; 2001 was the year we started buying IP's. The 2 x 1 unit was bought in 2003 - our 3rd, for $105. Built in 1990. Tenant was in place paying $180 p/w. Current tenant is paying $270 p/w. The unit was bought sight-unseen over the internet (saw photos) and I've never seen it. No money spent other than normal repairs.

There are many other investment vehicles that have averaged better than that 5-6% over time and also allow leverage.
My properties have done this as I said. Our current PPoR (no.4) has doubled in value in 8 years since we bought in 2000. That's aprox 12% return over that time. But, it was purchased from the cap gain made on our previous PPoR, so our current one cost us no actual money. What's that ROI? It was not bought for investment purposes though.
Plus you can buy a lot of them in an index format which makes hitting the market over time much more likely.
Maybe; but I only know property, and it is safe which matches my risk profile.
Maybe if someone had shown you the numbers you would have tried them?
Quite possibly, but you can only do what you can do with the available knowledge.
Your logic certainly dictates you would have. For example, even after the worst share market crash in a long time if you had invested in the ASX index in 2003 you would have made about a 60% increase in your investment. You could have leveraged that of course. This would involve zero work.
No doubt there would be some work, but maybe not a lot. The actual hours I've worked to acquire my portfolio to date (not including the PPoR, which is now an IP as well), would be, in my estimates, around 100 hours per property. This involves all the research, due diligence, arranging finances, faxes, emails etc. Based on our nett worth at present, than equates to an hourly rate in the 1,000s. It was worth it.

You realise what it would mean if the average person owned two houses don't you?
You have missed the point; it was for the average person to start with just ONE house. The ABC show I'm guessing is trying to portray how hard it is for people to buy even just one.

"financially maligned"? Not sure what you mean there... I'll take a stab in the dark you are trying to say academics don't agree that high leverage is a safe investment strategy? As in they speak badly of the financial strategy.
No, I'm talking about the many academics in the world who are still broke, or, at best, own their own home - which is not an asset in the true financial sense, as it provides no income. If they lost their job tomorrow, they could not support the asset in many cases.
Seriously though, bad phrase. Anyhow I assume you don't watch much tele, every second show for the past few years has been about property investment and I didn't see many scholarly types(I exagerate but you know what I mean). I agree it doesn't make good tele though.
Correct; I don't watch a lot of tv these days, and I agree; the property shows are usually centered around the Average Joe doing the property renos. That's the demographic that tv wants to appeal to, as it is the wider audience. Academics don't watch mainstream tv much either, so it's no use putting on tv shows that appeal to them; no ratings, therfore no tv channel revenue through ads.

Finally you acknowledge my initial point.
What was your point? That property hasn't gone up more than inflation or wages. Mine ALL have, and I'm pretty ordinary.

The time spend investing time and energy into learning to invest was excessive. 2 hrs per day + weekends, are we talking 20hrs a week? You realise if you just got a second job that amount of time would have a good return. Even spending that amount of time working at McDonalds would get about 25K annual return at zero risk.
I couldn't improve my hourly rate by anywhere the amount I have in my PAYE job in my whole life. My portfolio is currently increasing (at a rate of 5% which is under historical averages) by $90K this year conservativley while I sleep.

If you had invested in your skill set you would be far better at your job. Your increased skills at your job would be more likely to enable you to weather an economic downturn.
I am very good at my job. Some jobs simply don't return a lot of money - like a nurse, which my wife is, and she is very good, but can, at best, earn around $100k per year. Besides, I don't want to keep working, and working long hours - even at good pay rates.

That is the point I tried to make originally.

Last edited:
So we have 2 main questions:

Were you lucky or can you act as a landlord and make money in an environment closer to any time in the past 1000 odd years?

If you had to start again would your investment strategy be pretty much the same sector as it was previously (real estate) or would you take advantage of the differences in economic activity to short the market (or something else)?

Will try to keep it short as I don't want to hijack the thread any further:

1) There was some luck involved but one of the reasons to invest is to enjoy any upside so it was a conscious decision to get that upside exposure if it came. No idea about the past 1000 years but I reckon you can still make money today in property - otherwise we wouldn't have gone out and bought one this year...

2) We know property and are both comfortable with property as an investment. There are still plenty of opportunities to make money out of individual patches of dirt regardless of the state of the wider market. The property we bought this year is in a totally different state to our previous ones because that is where we see the opportunity. That is what I mean by changing the strategy but keeping the basics. It's not all "one market" out there. Our aim is to accumulate a portfolio to pass on to the kids so if anything a boom is more unhelpful to our targets than anything while we are still in the acquisition phase.

Hack - Like or Dislike?

I will be interested to hear the Hack piece. I like the show, even though it can be hit or miss sometimes. The 30 minute format with multiple issues IMO, doesn't allow you to get into the detail of any one topic. This is different to to some of the other ABC radio shows, like the Law Report, Sports Factor, Health Report, Life Matters which are far more in depth in their analysis.

I guess Hack being on Triple J, has to have a different format and obviously has a different target market.

Interested to know if anyone hear gets a gig and is interviewd though.

I'm working on ABC television's new youth current affairs show The Hack Half Hour.
Hosted by Steve Cannane, The Hack Half Hour is a single-issue, 30 minute panel-style program which will air on Monday nights at 8.30pm EST on ABC2.
It aims to be a gritty, raw approach to current affairs using young people's experiences as the focal point. Our core audience are 15 -35 year olds.
I'm producing a show on the property market. The Great Australian Dream is to own your own home. But with prices so high and interest rates increasing this is not looking likely for a lot of people. I'm looking for the following types of people for the discussion because young people feel really torn about what they shoud do:
*Someone who bought and lost
*Somone who bought and won
*Soneone who chose to travel
*Someone who chose to party
*People who chose to rent instead
*Someone who feels they missed the boat
*Siblings or friends who have split the debt
*Still living at home saving
Let me know if this is you or if you know someone who fits the bill.
Thank you!

Yet another program to let poor Gen Y's think they are hard done by and the world owes them a living. Not very original.

Peter hit the nail on the head. The program seems biaised from the start.

I draw a hard line here and would like to see a program based on all the hard work SOME of our Gen Y's have put in to achieve their growing success in the property market. Antoinette, flick back through a couple of Australian Property Investor Mags, you'll find some great Gen Y's doing very well with IP's.

Try something new and have Gen Y's and Gen X's debate the subject. I guess it wouldn't appeal to your gritty raw approach?

Gr-r-r!:(

Regards Jo

Hey Tor?

There are some guys that float around on these property investing threads that you remind me of. Typically they seem to have certain qualities.

Somewhat angry and resentful
Aggressive at times
Highly analytical
Questionable motivation

Just wondering if you have come across the likes of Hired Goon, Foundation, Scamp, Timeisnow, XGJunkie, Blogs etc?

With respect, :)

Hi Antoinette

I'm 19 years old and bought my own apartment at the start of this year. I don't exactly fit into any of the category's mentioned, but would be glad to be apart of your show.

Cheers Carlin

Hi Peter,

Antoinette, I'm wondering what sort of program you'll end up with, since most of the guests appear to be people who have not done it/given up rather than those who have succeeded. Hence its educational value to young people who want to get a place of their own is going to be limited as non-buyers will get most of the air time.
Great post by the way and a really good question/recommendation, but I think you might be wasting your breath. Antoinette posted the following:

The Great Australian Dream is to own your own home. But with prices so high and interest rates increasing this is not looking likely for a lot of people.
from which it is clear that she does not want to portray property as achievable to young people but wants to re-inforce the misnomer that the "Great Australian Dream" is lost forever. Her audience is Gen Y and they don't want to hear how its possible, they just want someone to tell them how the evil BBers and Gen Xers have made it impossible for them to ever achieve the Great Aussie Battler's Dream. We don't want to upset this universally held wisdom now do we...

Never forget that ABC or otherwise, the media exists to pander to the masses, and the masses currently "believe" the dream is unachievable. Tell them otherwise and they'll probably just change the channel. Antoinette is trying to do a gritty reality Gen Y show and build an audience. What better way to go about it than to do an empathy piece that illustrates that the show understands their pain and who they are. Not an educational show aimed at enlightening them on how to achieve dreams they believe out of their reach. That would come across like their parents or teachers and not as peers. Misery loves company so wheel out the misery!

Cheers,
Michael

Wow, we have a new player - Tor. A high income, martial arts world champion with federal police clearance, interior decorating skills, and a yearning to get his electrician's ticket.
Welcome to the forum, Antoinette. As you would expect, many of the people on a property forum tend to be optimistic about property. While their friends are carping on about how hard it is, they are out there doing it. Maybe property investors will do well long term. Maybe they won't. Nobody really knows how things will turn out in the end.
As others have said, it would be good if you resisted going down the tabloid route - that's too easy.
Scott

Last edited:
Antionette,

Im a regularly listener to hack, and i sit right in the middle of your target audience. Im 26, and i earn just over the average wage ($60K), and live in sydney (the hills district). I would be more than happy to be a part of your show, should you want me to be.

In my situation.... I have chosen to rent where i want to live, and buy where I can afford - because I cant afford to buy in the area I want to live.

Anyone with an average wage can afford to buy a cheaper place (either a unit or a house in outer suburbs) and still rent in the area they want to live. This works very well, because you still get the power of property "doing its thing" over the long term, just like anyone else who has bought their own home. It's easily proven that the outer suburbs have price growth just as strong if not better than the inner suburbs - Blacktown, for example, had the best price growth in the last property boom in Sydney.

The idea with this strategy is that eventually once you've grown up a bit, got married and got yourself a better job, you've got a much better start on buying the "family home" than if you just went out and bought the perfect family home first.
.... buying the little investment property means you still have money to go and party a bit, rather than stretching every last dollar to meet mortgage repayments on that house you can only just barely afford.

Like many above, I would like to see this report giving listeners a bit more hope that they actually CAN afford to buy something - they just have to think within their means, and not their desires.

Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss for your show.
karl AT edist DOT com DOT au

In my situation.... I have chosen to rent where i want to live, and buy where I can afford - because I cant afford to buy in the area I want to live.

My nephew is 19. He bought early this year - 3 bedroom home in the western suburbs on a 600sqm+ block for $200K. It was a place that he can easily afford, but he doesn't want to live there. It rents out well and doesn't cost him much to hold it. He's punting on the place going up in value.

I know a 25 years old who has 4 IPs value close to 2M, average salary, not a tigh a**, has travelled overseas etc. He has just moved to into one of the IPs coz-he-can now, and is looking for the 5th one very soon. His first IP was bought in 2003.
It can be done.

Hi Antoinette,

I'm a 23 year old female, have brought investment properties both on my own and with family. I have also been to Europe 3 times (twice funded by myself), limited parts of Asia and other international destinations (as family holidays).

I currently rent, and I can assure you I certainly know how to party; however, now more in moderation than previous years.

I don't think the Australian dream is to own your own home, as that would be far to simple for most; last time I checked a one bedroom unit in whoop-whoop was still a home to someone - The great Australian dream is to own your own 6 bedroom, 4 bathroom, 3 car garage home in one of the prestigious suburbs, not to mention with the latest 50" LCD screen in each room, furniture that costs more than my car and every new gadget under the sun.

Food for thought perhaps.

Interested in knowing more about the program - please provide further details.

Wow, we have a new player - Tor. A high income, martial arts world champion with federal police clearance, interior decorating skills, and a yearning to get his electrician's ticket.

Laughing my head off.

Don't forget; he's very highly skilled and is earning the big bucks in his job through improving those skills.

But wants to become an electrician? Not that this is bad; sparkys can earn good dollars.

Clarification needed I feel.

I know a 25 years old who has 4 IPs value close to 2M, average salary, not a tigh a**, has travelled overseas etc. He has just moved to into one of the IPs coz-he-can now, and is looking for the 5th one very soon. His first IP was bought in 2003.
It can be done.

That's a great result, and good on him. So, he bought his first IP at aged 20?

We need posters like him here to show these f-knuckle D&G-ers that it can, and is done.

Just to clarify things though; was he still living at home with Mum and Dad before he moved into the IP?

This is important, because a 20 year old on an average wage living out of home would take a good deal of time to save a decent deposit.

In any case; he should be interviewed on Hack.

We need posters like him here to show these f-knuckle D&G-ers that it can, and is done.

I don't think you need to prove to us D&G-ers that it can be done. Looking back at the market over the past 8 years, it's impossible not to make money. It's no different to the share market. While you guys were pushing property sky high, increasing debt exponentially, a lot of this excess money was following into he economy and was shown as company profits.

I didn't have any exposure to property, but did with shares. The share market took 4 years to double between 2003 and 2007. Prior to 2003, it took 11 years to double. I did very well during this period. Again, anyone could have made money in the share market in those years. It was almost impossible to loose. Housing, debt, company profits and the general economy was unsustainable. Just look at the following chart - If you couldn't make money from property in the past few years, something was very wrong.

ausrealhomeprices.gif

However it is the smart investor that can do it in periods of 'normal' growth or during a downturn. I think most people agree now that its a myth that house prices double every 7 years.

The only question I have for this 25 years old who has 4 IPs value close to 2M, which is omitted, is how much debt does he carry?

Sustainability.

Antoinette

As a variant
Why not track down one of the "superbrokers" of the forum... i.e. Rolf Latham, Richard Taylor aka Qlds007, Rolf Schaefer, Kristine

Point being is that there there are loan products out there to get first home buyers into the market - examples being CBA's family support (aka family equity), St. Georges No Deposit Home loan, EFMs etc...

Sometimes the products get knocked back by the clients as it doesnt suit them - or they think it doesnt - but on the other hand it does get them in the door.

Thing is a lot of lenders dont offer these products and people are limiting themselves by sticking with just one lender who might not offer them, or know they exist

Last edited:
I don't think you need to prove to us D&G-ers that it can be done. Looking back at the market over the past 8 years, it's impossible not to make money. It's no different to the share market. While you guys were pushing property sky high, increasing debt exponentially, a lot of this excess money was following into he economy and was shown as company profits.

I didn't have any exposure to property, but did with shares. The share market took 4 years to double between 2003 and 2007. Prior to 2003, it took 11 years to double. I did very well during this period. Again, anyone could have made money in the share market in those years. It was almost impossible to loose. Housing, debt, company profits and the general economy was unsustainable. Just look at the following chart - If you couldn't make money from property in the past few years, something was very wrong.

ausrealhomeprices.gif

However it is the smart investor that can do it in periods of 'normal' growth or during a downturn. I think most people agree now that its a myth that house prices double every 7 years.

The only question I have for this 25 years old who has 4 IPs value close to 2M, which is omitted, is how much debt does he carry?

Sustainability.

No, it's not a myth - it's the average based on historical figures. Of course, it's not a straight line, and anyone who thinks it should be, and expects it to be, and then can't cope when it isn't (all the D&Gers), will be disappointed and think the sky is falling (like you blokes).

That's the same graph that was used by Timeisnow. Are you him??

The level of debt for that young guy is not an issue if the LVR and cashflows are in balance.

Another thing that D&Gers usually think is that you MUST make a loss on the property - I've had this same boring and annoying discussion with YM and HG for months now.

IT IS possible to own IP's that are cashflow positive - after tax. This means that it makes an after-tax PROFIT.

No matter what size the business is, the end result is money-in V money-out.

Simplistic, but it's a rule of economics and running businesses.

Look at companies like Enron - totally over-leveraged with not enough cashflow to support the debt and daily cash needs to run the business. They went broke. The Directors f**ked it up, kept it quite for as long as they could hoping to turn it around, but they were gone, and no doubt had their own fingers heavily into the cashlfows along the way. Common theme I'm afraid.

Give a few ordinary bloke/s with no financial education access to lots of money and a bit of unmonitored power and watch the cash run away.

My portfolio is somewhat similar to that young man's, and our LVR is at 56%, with the cashflow from the portfolio now more than the total outgoings. His level of debt is irrelevant if his core figures for the business are sound.

This equates to a very safe financial position. You could add on 3 more zeros to the figures and the bottom line is still the same. This is what I plan to do. ;)

You sound like a person who thinks debt is bad?

Debt is only bad if it is consumer debt, or business debt with not enough cashflow to support the debt. money-in V money-out.

The person who has a mortgage on their house and only their own job to support it is in a far worse financial position that the guy with 5 IP's, pos cashflow from the rent, AND a 9-5 job.

Are you going to get a plumbing ticket as well? Maybe a pest licence?

I have never heard of anyone getting a sparkies ticket so they can save some money on IPs.

Back