About to Settle on property - Renovations needed

Hi guys,

First of all, great site and community, it has given me a lot of info over these past few months, thanks guys!! :p

I'm about to settle on my first ever home purchase, a 3x1 Fibro on 819sqm zoned R30. The plan is to renovate it, live in it for a few years, rent it out, and eventually demolish, subdivide and build.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-eden+hill-117699623

So far, I have booked in a floor sander to bring the original jarrah floorboards back to life. I am also planning on some tree lopping, landscaping, painting inside & out and probably a new kitchen & bathroom.

I was wondering if you guys could offer advice as to which renovations I should focus on first. :confused: I have a budget of $10k. Also, any recommendations where I can source things for cheap, i.e tiles, kitchens, vanitys, certain tradies I might need, etc..

Cheers :D

I'm about to settle on my first ever home purchase, a 3x1 Fibro on 819sqm zoned R30. The plan is to renovate it, live in it for a few years, rent it out, and eventually demolish, subdivide and build.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-eden+hill-117699623

Hate to be a downer, but its actually R20/R30 - are you sure you can subdivide in accordance with your plan?

From memory, it was something like preserving the streetscape to get the higher density bonus.

Hate to be a downer, but its actually R20/R30 - are you sure you can subdivide in accordance with your plan?

From memory, it was something like preserving the streetscape to get the higher density bonus.

Yeah they both need to be street fronting, as it stands only corner blocks can be zoned at the higher density. I have spoken to the council already regarding this :)

EDIT: Oh and its proposed R40 in a few years anyway, so I will probably just wait til that goes through :)

Well to answer your main question - its probably up to personal taste since you're the one living there for a few years.

If your plan is to eventually demolish, I suppose you should try and spend as little as possible while still keep the place livable.

Well im looking to do the renovations which will bring me the most value, I plan on getting it revalued in a year or so and hope to draw some equity and purchase a 2nd IP. So I am essentially wanting advice as to which renovations would bring the most value whilst still being affordable :)

I'll go against the herd here and say I would not spend anything on it if it is going to be demolished in a few years (how many years?)

I don't think a cheapie new kitchen or bathroom will make terribly much difference to a fibro house in the eyes of a valuer (but happy to be wrong).

From the photos, I would maybe paint the kitchen doors one colour (or do nothing at all). Photos look fine for something that doesn't have to last for a long time before a bulldozer runs through it.

The bathroom looks terrible and if I was going to live there, I'd spend maybe $300 tops for a nicer vanity, just because I would not want to use that one.

There is a valuer on the forum, (cannot recall his user name but someone else might remember it). Perhaps ask him to answer this question.

Congrats!

I would

- line the front porch
- pull down the structures at the back
- paint the house
- do the floorboards if you want - they aren't that bad
- kitchen from gumtree or flat pack straightline from Bunnings/Master
- something with the bathroom - maybe just a new vanity if you don't mind the rest as it

Agree with Wylie on this one.

I would just replace vanity, A big Clean interior & the backyard , maybe a fresh paint. Rent it out, and demolish in a few years.

Good location, close to Bassendean Station.

Cheers,

Wirra

Back