Accountant will not return phone calls

Anyone suggest what I can do with a new accountant (nine months ago after my previous one retired without telling anyone his plans) who is supposed to be preparing my return and my company's return but refuses to return phone calls, either no answer or leave message which is never returned. I believe the company return is due shortly while the individual return has until middle of May. :confused:

I have moved interstate so cannot just pop in to see if he is there.

Accountant ..

That is the obvious course, however if he does not return calls I cannot reclaim all the papers that are already lodged. Hoping for a "useful" reply, not a flippant jibe! :mad:

That is the obvious course, however if he does not return calls I cannot reclaim all the papers that are already lodged. Hoping for a "useful" reply, not a flippant jibe! :mad:

Useful reply:

Get a new accountant, and instruct them to request your files from the old accountant to proceed so you dont have to deal with it. Problem solved.

pinkboy

sorry wasn't meant to be flippant - I thoguth you were seriously considering continuing with him. what does he have that you don't have that hasn't been lodged?

He has all the papers for the last 12 months for share trading, property sales, etc. In fact, everything - I can duplicate most of it, except the dividend statements with franking credits etc, when I find another accountant however I am really annoyed at the lack of professionalism, being told last October that the returns were being completed and reviewed and still this stone walling action. My concern is that he has lost or misplaced the papers and will not fess up. It is not a small job to pull it all together a second time.

If I thought it would do any good I would lodge a complaint with the Inst. of Chartered Accountants, but any self administering body never seems to be very sympathetic when their members are criticised!!

Cheers

Why? These should be the easiest documents to find.

Totally agree. Why, I just downloaded my telstra dividend statement.

You can also get copies of tax returns from the ATO through FOI.

I'd send a registered letter to the accountant telling him/her to make contact immediately otherwise its adios amigo.

Last edited:
Just write a letter, fax and email advising the company is to cease work on your matter. surely you would have copied all documents given so just hand these over to the new accountant... no big deal

Back