Unbelievable tradies!

Well unlike one of my previous threads, this is not a rant, its acutally a chuckle story

First tradie, after doing a previous job for me, and doing a good job ($3-4k), got a quote to do 2nd job, said he was going to start today, today, today, this went on for a week, he was supposed to do like the previous, go to bunnings, get materials via my bunnings account and start, after being told he was going this afternoon to bunnings to pick up materials, he never returned any of our calls. proobably 1 month after the first time he was going to start. So not a problem, find another person

second tradie, told him the original quote $2k, he said he was happy to beat the quote without looking at the job, he went to look at it and came back to me at $1.8k, all was good,told him I could pay for all the materials as a depsoit, he was fine with that, and was going to start that day.

I sent him the original quote as there was a bit I couldnt explain over the phone, he saw the original quote said 50% depsoit and then changed his mind and wanted a deposit and that he had no work due to health issues, and was desperate for cash, and that he wouldnt rip me off like others . he sent me a copy of his passport, drivers license, home address, and id card. So I agreed to pay him $400 cash at the end of the first day plus pay for all materials at bunnings. he then accuses me of mistreating me, so I call him and sort it all out, and he tells me how he has been sick, and needs a job blah blah blah which is none of my business.

the following day he goes to bunnings to pickup the materials,he calls me when its time to check out, and unfortunately, due to crapy bunnings staff they dont accept orders over the phone (they are supposed to, and ive done it many times at this shop, even the head office has said they must).

he gets into a huff and a puff and tells me to shove the job up where the sun dont shine

a few hours later he sends me this long text msg twice and an email invoicing me for $600, his reasoning is that he rejected a 3 day job at $25 per hour @ $450, plus petrol and his inconvenience @$150!!!! and he will return the keys after I pay

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

so two hours later, I paid another guy to change the locks for $100, and to quote the job in question again.

And I had already promised the guy in question another job after this one immeidately!!

The whole situation made me chuckle for the day

the following day he goes to bunnings to pickup the materials,he calls me when its time to check out, and unfortunately, due to crapy bunnings staff they dont accept orders over the phone (they are supposed to, and ive done it many times at this shop, even the head office has said they must).

he gets into a huff and a puff and tells me to shove the job up where the sun dont shine

a few hours later he sends me this long text msg twice and an email invoicing me for $600, his reasoning is that he rejected a 3 day job at $25 per hour @ $450, plus petrol and his inconvenience @$150!!!! and he will return the keys after I pay

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

The whole situation made me chuckle for the day

And you find this funny. How?

A unique sense of humour :)

Makes me realise how fortunate I am to have the trade contacts I have. I've never experienced anything like that. The only issue we have is that I spend too much time chatting, drinking coffee/beers with them which slows stuff down.

Cheers

Jamie

I sent him the original quote as there was a bit I couldnt explain over the phone, he saw the original quote said 50% depsoit and then changed his mind and wanted a deposit and that he had no work due to health issues, and was desperate for cash, and that he wouldnt rip me off like others . he sent me a copy of his passport, drivers license, home address, and id card. So I agreed to pay him $400 cash at the end of the first day plus pay for all materials at bunnings. he then accuses me of mistreating me, so I call him and sort it all out, and he tells me how he has been sick, and needs a job blah blah blah which is none of my business.

Just wondering did you get the $400.00 back,if they are buying the materials from bunnings then they may have bad credit with all the other trades supply companies..imho..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TES2kgPF4Wk

1. to think that he is entitled to compensation for three days for a job not going ahead
2. to think he has been mistreated for reasons I dont know
3. to think that he is entitled to anything after quitting, key point Quitting
4. to think he has some power over me by withholding the keys despite the fact I have a copy of his passport, Drivers license, address, ID card

Just wondering did you get the $400.00 back,if they are buying the materials from bunnings then they may have bad credit with all the other trades supply companies..imho..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TES2kgPF4Wk

we didnt get to the end of the first day, so no depsoit was given
this job isnt a big one so dont need a full on builder, so many handy men dont have suppliers in this area,

I usuall offer the option to buy materials from bunnings so they dont have to come up with the cash , to be nice, and to be not have to pay as much deposit for my security

1. to think that he is entitled to compensation for three days for a job not going ahead
4. to think he has some power over me by withholding the keys despite the fact I have a copy of his passport, Drivers license, address, ID card

So, where did you find all of this amazing tradies? Just so I know not to touch them with a barge-pole ;)

Not that part. The guy goes to bunnings to pick stuff that YOU ordered (or tried to order) over the phone and could buy it because of YOU.

I am not justifying the threats or reasoning behind the holding back the key.

However, these guys earn and live by the day. You were not able to provide him the materials to go ahead. You do not continue the story as to what alternative was provided to buy/get the materials!

He might have said no to another job to do yours and now he cant cos he does not have materials.

Maybe, I have a poor sense of humour, but that is not funny for me!

I like your sense of humour or is this another disguised rant, however you continue to confuse handymen with tradies.

If the handyman is working for $25 P H he's not even making wages, tell us about the due diligence you used to contract the handyman?

sounds like an idiot trady. i think a warning sign with some of these guys is when they are not busy, live day to day on their money so when one small thing goes wrong they chuck a fit. I would expect they can manage their money such where if one day of work is delayed they can manage.
Some of these guys have been burnt by people not paying them after the work is done so they have a very agressive attitude bc of this fear.

they have to expect that there can be hiccups in the process like materials are not ready.

Not that part. The guy goes to bunnings to pick stuff that YOU ordered (or tried to order) over the phone and could buy it because of YOU.

However, these guys earn and live by the day. You were not able to provide him the materials to go ahead. You do not continue the story as to what alternative was provided to buy/get the materials!

He might have said no to another job to do yours and now he cant cos he does not have materials.

Definitely you and me have different sense of humour, what I found funny was the fact that he is clearly desperate for work, and one little setback he is willing to throw about a three day job at $1000 profit, plus another job, and then has the gall to think he is entitled to anything. Initially I thouhgt he was joking.

its like a roof guy walking out on a 1 week job because one day it was raining and he couldnt work, setbacks are a part of life, and unless you are so inundated with work then, you will get nowhere in life if you have a hissy fit every time

I like your sense of humour or is this another disguised rant, however you continue to confuse handymen with tradies.

If the handyman is working for $25 P H he's not even making wages, tell us about the due diligence you used to contract the handyman?

definitely my sense of humour, I ve already had my rant on another thread and been to therapy

So, where did you find all of this amazing tradies? Just so I know not to touch them with a barge-pole ;)

that makes it a bit more interesting, one from gumtree, one from word of mouth, one from recommended by agent,

I also had a chuckle about this.
Have dealt with their type many a time.
They are in the Life is out to get me crowd.

I sent him the original quote as there was a bit I couldnt explain over the phone, he saw the original quote said 50% depsoit and then changed his mind and wanted a deposit and that he had no work due to health issues, and was desperate for cash,

Then this:

I think he's been sniffing the paint a bit.

Living day to day and hand to mouth is his problem only. He can decide to manage his money better if he chooses.

Plus; it's his chosen profession, and hold-ups etc are par-for-the-course in that game.

Loads of tradies/handymen have to juggle with late materials/wrong materials/part-orders turning up instead of full orders, etc.

Last edited:
I guess you would have to find the funny side, other wise you would just get annoyed at the bad service..

I would be fuming... Maybe I have to relax more :p

update: not so funny any more

I ignored all msgs hoping he would realise how ridculous he was being or he was just playing,

a couple of days the later the msgs turned to, "i need the money" , "when are you going to pay" to "you have 20 mins to contact me" to "you'll regret this"

so a quick call to the police and explained the situation and a request to ask them to contact him on the phone and to warn him not to be a turkey

officer was surprisingly helpful, offered to give him a call, and tell him not to contact me again, along with telling me (which I already knew) that i owe him nothing, and that he has to sue me civilly which wont go past the application stage if he had a brain

obviously damage to my property is still a concern like it was from day 1 of the saga!

Does he still have keys to the property? If so perhaps change the locks.

nah, as soon as he said "you will get your keys back once you have paid " originally, the locks were changed in a few hours,

unlikely, but if he has as much brains as his reasonability, he still can make my life difficult and expensive by doing a drive by and breaking a window or two every couple of days

If he had half a brain it's not worth breaking windows for $600. Just forget about it and move on. Sounds like this guy is really strapped for cash.

If he had half a brain it's not worth breaking windows for $600. Just forget about it and move on. Sounds like this guy is really strapped for cash.

yes agree, over the years ive learnt to choose your battles,

obviously breaking windows wont get him any money, but anger and the feeling of being ripped off can lead to anything

Back