Adam Goodes

I watched the special last night on Australia Day, with folks like Ita Butrose and others.

Did anyone see it?

The section which focused on Adam Goodes was absolutely amazing to me.

I know we as Aussies tend to applaud sports stars a bit too much when there are plenty of other amazing and anonymous people around the place, but his story was one of the most inspiring I have ever seen for younger folk of today.

One of the poignant moments was when he was describing his decision not to go and have a choof with the lads behind the bus shelter.

He left them and found a boy who invited him to go and kick the footy (he had never played footy at this point) with some other boys.

His decision to be strong enough to say "NO" and resist peer group pressure shaped his future...

Much of his strength and character he attributed to his mother for her role in raising him with good standards.

The rest is history, and it was refreshing to see a modest, grounded and intelligent human of such amazing talent and success.

Every kid should see this program I reckon, and he is a credit to his race, and all Australians.

Bloody well done, and there was a bit of tear from this crusty old b@stard!

One of the poignant moments was when he was describing his decision not to go and have a choof with the lads behind the bus shelter.

If he had the choof he might have become the next Steve Jobs though. Jobs liked to pass the bong around a fair bit from what I have heard.

I didn't see it, but I really like him. He's up for Australian of the Year next Saturday. Hope he does well.

Agree with you about lots of Australian's doing great things that go unrecognised.

I had to look him up. Apparently he's a pretty good Aussie rules player.

I'm not up with sports people. We used to have a lot of "names" come into our shop, being close to the Canberra Raiders and the Australian Institute of Sport. People would have to tell me that the person I'd just served was somebody famous.

Back