adding a 2nd toilet in the laundry

Hi

We have a Sydney property with a rather large laundry and the tenants are asking if we can add a toilet.
Has anyone doen something like this before?

Before get a plumber to quote I wonder, is this a very messy and costly exercise? What costs should I be expecting to pay?

The main toilet is approx 5 meters away and lookin at the drawing the sewer pipe is running outside the house but is probably quite deep.
Thank you in advance.

Is the house on piers/dwarf walls or is it a slab? The main cost will be in connecting to the sewer line. If this requires slab core holes and excavation then you are up for a significant amount of money. You also need permission from Sydney Water to add a connection to the sewer connection as it will need to be updated on the SW diagrams.

If you can connect to an existing waste line before it goes to SW then its much easier and cheaper.

I have done something similar as part of a reno (adding ensuite) where a core hole and excavation was needed. From memory for the toilet suite, connections and approvals it was about $5k.

Personally I would not add a toilet in the laundry just because the tenants asked for it. I would hold off and get it done as part of other works eg a bathroom reno, as you can share labour costs between the jobs for the plumber/drainer.

For a rental probably not worth it.

There has been an ad on Tv lately about adding a toilet to a standard
45 mm outlet which is what most vanities, wash tubs use if there is not
the standard 100mm sewer pipe nearby.
Its some kind of box that sits behind the toilet cistern. I presume to
brake down what goes in it :eek: so it can then be flushed down the standard 45 mm pipe.
Most likely a lot cheaper than having to connect to a sewer system that
might not be there.

Its some kind of box that sits behind the toilet cistern. I presume to
brake down what goes in it :eek: so it can then be flushed down the standard 45 mm pipe.
Most likely a lot cheaper than having to connect to a sewer system that
might not be there.

Could be a macerator to break down waste.

Commonly used in marine vessels and areas where you don't have gravity on your side, and especially where you have a smaller pipe.

I thought regulations for waste are only for 100mm dia?. (Maybe Qld spec)

Can it be smaller?

F

Is the house on piers/dwarf walls or is it a slab?
If you can connect to an existing waste line before it goes to SW then its much easier and cheaper.
Its on a slab. the existing waste line is just outside the house but it will probably require diging.
5k is a lot, I was hoping for 1-1.5k

A large percentage of family homes have one toilet. Why do you think in your case, it's necessary to consider putting in a second toilet?

For a single core hole you are looking at $300-$400 since its a call out and half day job all up charged.

Then for a plumber to excavate a trench and pit, connect the pipework, install a cistern and water feed, fill and complete, another 2-3 days depending on how much of a PITA it is. Day rate for a plumber about $600.

Then theres the cost of the cistern on top, another say $250 for something OK quality.

So looking at that, you are up for about $2500. Plus any rectification works to the tiles/wall etc.

You will then have to involve SW to get records updated, they may or may not charge for this. Unlikely but sometimes they may require an inspection depending on where and how the sewer was connected.

I would budget $3k by the sounds of it. Allow for the worst.

A large percentage of family homes have one toilet. Why do you think in your case, it's necessary to consider putting in a second toilet?

I don't know what the percentages are.
I'm investigating the cost so that I have an answer to give to the tenant.

Yes I've seen them advertised.
This is probably perfect for the job and probably considerably cheaper than running big pipes but they need power and I don't know how reliable they are.

I don't know what the percentages are.
I'm investigating the cost so that I have an answer to give to the tenant.

It's probably very high. Here's a link to the first suburb that came to mind. Most are 3br houses with 1 bath/toilet. This suburb has a reasonably decent demographic profile, and is about 12km from the Adelaide CBD.

The majority of houses pre 80's and small to medium in size have 1 toilet - in SA anyway :confused:.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-pooraka/list-1?preferredState=sa

What I'd like to know is what the wait for a toilet is nowadays :D.

can you can get toilets that feed out thru the wall and then drop down? i think i've seen and used them, but have been known to be mistaken before. pop down to your local bathroom supplier and have a look.

Yes I've seen them advertised.
This is probably perfect for the job and probably considerably cheaper than running big pipes but they need power and I don't know how reliable they are.

Saniflow make them and yes they do require power and a pipe into the sewer.
I have had a number installed in commercial buildings and have not been that impressed with the reliability but they may be ok in a house. The main problem is when women (sorry) drop their sanitary pads down the toilet.
Personally, if I was to put an extra toilet in I would always plumb it directly into the sewer, less hassle in the long run.
As others have said, ask the tenant to pay.

we put a toilet in our laundry when we renovated our PPOR. Interestingly, we have rarely used it... its our 3rd toilet. The cats sleep on it though (they have beds, but they prefer the toilet lid!!)
I wouldnt do it for a tenant mid-tenancy, unless they paid. They rented the house knowing that there wasnt a toilet there. I dont think you really need to give them any justification for not putting an additional toilet in there.

Back