Adding a second toilet help.

I'm thinking of adding a second toilet to my smaller bathroom (which only has a vanity and small bath tub) however the unknown costs that may be involved frightens me. There's only currently one toilet and its on the opposite side of the house in the laundry room.

Am I going to be charged an arm and a leg to add a sewer pipe, trench or whatever the proper terminology is called to get this second toilet in?

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm thinking of adding a second toilet to my smaller bathroom (which only has a vanity and small bath tub) however the unknown costs that may be involved frightens me. There's only currently one toilet and its on the opposite side of the house in the laundry room.

Am I going to be charged an arm and a leg to add a sewer pipe, trench or whatever the proper terminology is called to get this second toilet in?

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

If your house is on bearers and joists you can do it yourself like I did for costs of materials at bunnings and your own labour...pretty straightforward procedure after you educate yourself on google

Thanks for your advice. I'm not much of a handy person unfortunately and so that part i have no choice but to pay for. Yep the house is on stumps so that's good in a sense.

Get a copy of your sewer diagram (usually part of the sale contract)
You can get a better idea how to run your sewer pipes after you examine the plan.
If you get the plumber to tell you where he wants it dug and how far, and do most of the heavy work you may then save yourself a leg, and only have to pay an arm.

I always say, each extra toilet adds approx 5% to the properties value (up to a point) so do the sums to see if it is worth it.....the numbers never lie.

Get a copy of your sewer diagram (usually part of the sale contract)
You can get a better idea how to run your sewer pipes after you examine the plan.
If you get the plumber to tell you where he wants it dug and how far, and do most of the heavy work you may then save yourself a leg, and only have to pay an arm.

I always say, each extra toilet adds approx 5% to the properties value (up to a point) so do the sums to see if it is worth it.....the numbers never lie.

agreed, regarding the increased value of the house..
we looked at the least expensive ways to add a toilet...and ended up replaced the existing ful size vanity and installed half a size to make space for commode.
plumber cost approx $1500

I got a quote today from a reputable plumber and it will cost $1350 incl GST to add a completely new toilet incl pipes etc. Well worth the cost I think. Thanks all.

If you are enlisting a professional to do the dig and complete the install, get several different quotes. Without a doubt - and as others have mentioned - the second toilet will add significant value to the property, so do your sums.

Another addition to consider is (pending the size of the Laundry), the addition of a shower in there. That way you'd have a proper two-bathroom property which would again further increase value and rental return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back