Sewerage pipes visible inside the laundry and toilets??

I recently viewed a property where massive sewerage pipes were visible inside the toilet and the laundry. I've never seen this before. Does the signify any issue with the property? This look certainly wouldn't appeal to most buyers...

How much does it roughly cost to cover say 15-20 meters of tiles on the corner of a wall and the ceiling with gyp-rock?:confused:

Sight unseen I'll take a guess they were the sewage runs to upstairs toilets.
By massive I assume you mean about 11cm diameter?

If only about 5cm to 8cm probably a drain for sink/bath.

Normally they would be hidden in the back of a cupboard. Sometimes behind a false wall but that can make it difficult to get access if there is a blockage.

Yeh...I was rather surprised. As apparently the property was built in 1998 and I'd expect it to be modern enough to not have them so visible that it impacts the value of the property..

hi, builder.

this job sounds like one of those unusual ones that you can't price normally without looking at it.

cost of plaster on the ceiling will depend on what is already up there, what kind of superstructure is there/may have to be erected to suspend the ceiling and how fiddly the job is.

cost of 15-20m of tiles can't be worked out on a per m rate because the job is too small, but in effect it is a 2 day job - one hour on day 1 to waterproof the area where tiles will be stuck, one day on day 2 to glue on all the tiles, one hour on day 3 to grout the tiles plus clean up. Most tilers will just give you an all inclusinve quote but the way i described it gives you something to work on, since I (and other tilers I know) will charge you for 2 full days work total at $300ish per day and that's that.

As for the exposed pipes, it's pretty unusual, since that stuff is usually concealed within the wall/suspended ceiling/slab. Sounds to me like something went wrong during the build process and it was an owner builder with low standards or something like that.

Back