Adding internal wall: How, cost?

Hey guys,

What's the cheapest way to go about adding an internal wall and an internal door. (approx 4-5m)

How much would I be up for?

The floors are tiled.

cheapest way will be to do it yourself.

The problem with this job is it will need at least a carpenter, painter and a plasterer and maybe a sparky if you want a light switch in the wall. And its note a huge job for any so it will be a little painful gettnig them imo. You might be able to get a 'handy man' to do it all bar the light switch but i often find them a little over priced as they as jack of all trades master of none so you get charged a rate generally as high as each pro but they are not as quick.

Are the tiles generic or do you have more, i wouldn't put a wall over tiles so they will need to rip up the one or two tiles in the way of the wall?

As for cost i can't help sorry as i only work with very rough places so its never one job its always 6 jobs each trade is out there doing.

Had an over the phone, sight unseen, estimate by a builder of around $2000 to install a similar sized wall earlier this year.

DIY, maybe 300-500 depending on how high your ceilings are. We put in a 4.2x3.6 wall a couple years ago and it was very cheap, and conveniently was a multiple of 3x1.2 sheets of plasterboard high.

Also conveniently had a free electrician to add us the obligatory light switch.

Can have a rough crack at estimating

Wood - $150
Plasterboard sheets - $80
Plaster etc - $50
Paint - $40
New tiles/cement/grout - $100

Electrical possibly? - $80
Labourers x 2 = $300 a day?
1 day to frame and start plastering
2 day to finish painting it up
3 day fix the tiling?

How about that $1,400 roughly?

A few weeks ago they showed how to build an internal wall on The Renovators. Or look at Utube. Except for the electrical of course.

Back