Adelaide a lost cause......

from news.com.au
renound town planner john montgomery says that adelaide may be an "above ground cemetery" in a decade.... read on.

The man who says we have lost the plot
By REBECCA JENKINS
May 12, 2004

HE PUT the buzz into Dublin and reinvigorated Manchester, but John Montgomery says Adelaide is a lost cause.

The world-renowned urban planner moved from Britain 18 months ago after falling in love with Adelaide – to set up a new office for his consultancy.

But he is so disillusioned he is leaving for Brisbane next month.

"I thought I could come here and do lots of things to help it grow economically and help it become a better city . . ." he said.

But he found Adelaide "slow, complacent and lacking in initiative".

He warned that if the city did not change, it would be an "above ground cemetery" in a decade, because small business was not being encouraged, young people had no incentive to stay and new industries were being overlooked.

Dr Montgomery, who has presented his ideas to community leaders, including Premier Mike Rann, has been credited with turning around the fortunes of cities.

He yesterday told The Advertiser, however, that Adelaide lacked dynamism, especially in starting up small and "micro" businesses. "What you really should be doing is helping the youngsters, people in their 20s, set up businesses," he said.

If this did not occur "all that will be left here will be the retired and the elderly, plus some overseas students and a class of middle-ranking civil servants".

Dr Montgomery also said there was a "shocking lack of leadership", and a lack of understanding about city economic growth. He wanted to see a focus on new industries, including technology, art and design.

Dr Montgomery came here under the exclusive "distinguished talent" migration scheme and set up an office for his firm, Urban Cultures.

His previous projects include the city plan for Prague, a Manchester cultural strategy and redevelopment of Dublin's Temple Bar.

Key industry figures yesterday said he would be a loss to the state.

"The planning profession in South Australia needs to focus on the big picture and the sustainable long-term view of Adelaide. That's what John brings to any discussion." said Planning Institute of Australia SA president Des Commerford.

A spokesperson for the Premier's office said Dr Montgomery had met with the Government but did not make it clear he had any particular project to offer.

straight said:
If this did not occur "all that will be left here will be the retired and the elderly, plus some overseas students and a class of middle-ranking civil servants".
So Adelaide will end up like Canberra?

:D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I think the SA government should stop spending so much money trying to keep the Mitsubishi plant operational (now THAT is a lost cause !) and use the money to foster innovation programs for microbusinesses and other small-medium ventures. Oh, and lowering stamp duty and other such state based taxes to attract interstate investment too.

The more money they spend on Mitsubushi now, the less they will have later when it closes anyway (all they are doing is delaying the inevitable). It's going to end up hurting the local economy either way, and I say take the pain now and concentrate on getting over it.

"Instead of thinking of Adelaide as a country town in decay Montgomery suggests that we think of Adelaide as a city state like Barcelona, Venice, Lisbon and Venice. It is thinking of creating a city with spirit, interesting, stylish, sophisticated and design aware.

So lets forget about the farmers, irrigators, wine and food. Lets think cultural businesses: ie., getting more creative people and artists setting up businesses then helping them to grow and thrive." So says John Montgomery.

Adelaides loss is our, Brisbanes, gain me thinks. :)

straight said:
A spokesperson for the Premier's office said Dr Montgomery had met with the Government but did not make it clear he had any particular project to offer.

Quite frankly Straight, Montgomery sounds like someone who is disgruntled and who hasnt tried hard enough. The Premiers office are stating that he did not make it clear what project he had to offer, he clearly didn't formulate a plan and take steps to drive the plan into fruition. You can't blame Adelaide for not supporting Montgomery in the plans he wasn't formulating.

Brisbane's gain? Well if he brings something to the table, well yes.

Adelaide's Loss? No, he didnt start anything for us to lose.

I don't care what anyone thinks or what the paper's say. I think that there are opportunities for young people here in Adelaide, but I am an advocate for the fact that opportunities exist [highlight]EVERYWHERE[/highlight] for people who go out there and make it happen regardless of geography.

Kind regards

Corsa

Corsa said:
Quite frankly Straight, Montgomery sounds like someone who is disgruntled and who hasnt tried hard enough. The Premiers office are stating that he did not make it clear what project he had to offer, he clearly didn't formulate a plan and take steps to drive the plan into fruition. You can't blame Adelaide for not supporting Montgomery in the plans he wasn't formulating.

Montgomery was interviewed on Adel's Local ABC radio this morning (Bald Brothers show), I had the same impression, he said something about a former business partner being on a working party that was advising the state govt and that there "wasnt room on the team for both of them". It sounded very "sour grapes"

Corsa said:
I don't care what anyone thinks or what the paper's say. I think that there are opportunities for young people here in Adelaide, but I am an advocate for the fact that opportunities exist [highlight]EVERYWHERE[/highlight] for people who go out there and make it happen regardless of geography.

i couldnt agree more. im not trying to talk down adelaide, it was an article that took my eye, an article that is also getting coverage on the radio. i cant see any international coverage on the net, but given his profile it wouldnt surprise me if it gets some.

i wouldnt have thought small hicups like this would effect adelaide investment, but with press like this and the developements in NSW it all plays into brisbanes hands dont you think??

The SA Government is dead scared of losing Mitsubishi - and so they should be. In a state so dependent on manufacturing, it has been estimated that Mitsubishi's closure, and its impacts on all the large and small components suppliers, could cost the State around 20,000 jobs all up. So you may be looking at an impact of around 50,000 people - that's about 10 years worth of migration to SA, so the PAIN of that would be felt for a very long time.
JIM

Carimwell said:
The SA Government is dead scared of losing Mitsubishi - and so they should be. In a state so dependent on manufacturing, it has been estimated that Mitsubishi's closure, and its impacts on all the large and small components suppliers, could cost the State around 20,000 jobs all up. So you may be looking at an impact of around 50,000 people - that's about 10 years worth of migration to SA, so the PAIN of that would be felt for a very long time.
JIM

What worries me even more about losing Mitsubishi is the VAST tract of land thats going to be free'd up and potentially subdivided. The effect on prices for surrounding suburbs will be a real dampener..

What an ideal place for Delfin to build one of their new MacDonald's Suburbs and have their buyers fill it with their god awful McMansions.

duncan_m said:
What worries me even more about losing Mitsubishi is the VAST tract of land thats going to be free'd up and potentially subdivided. The effect on prices for surrounding suburbs will be a real dampener.

YES - especially as a lot of the people living in those surrounding suburbs [used to] work for Mitsubishi or one of the co-located components suppliers!
JIM

duncan_m said:
What an ideal place for Delfin to build one of their new MacDonald's Suburbs and have their buyers fill it with their god awful McMansions.
I like the "McMansion" adjective. Delfin are up here in Townsville too and with the same Mediteranian archetecture. It's AWFUL! Totally unsuited to the tropics That's why I built with timber frames and HardiePlank sheeting. To be different.

Thommo

Thommo said:
I like the "McMansion" adjective. Delfin are up here in Townsville too and with the same Mediteranian archetecture. It's AWFUL! Totally unsuited to the tropics That's why I built with timber frames and HardiePlank sheeting. To be different.

Thommo

Thommo, I spent 17years in Darwin and was quite shocked when I went back recently to see the style of building that is being done. No attempt at all to work with the environment. Almost every new home I saw had large airconditioners to cope with the heat. A well designed home and garden in Darwin is very comfortable with just ceiling fans, and its healthier.

I have the similar concerns in Adelaide. I'm sure its the same everywhere though.

The standard block size has been steadily declining, neighbors are separated by about 1800mm, kids dont have a backyard, Dad's don't have sheds. There's no privacy in the homes.. Tension in relationships will increase. Kids will get fatter.

Disgustingly, a lot of brick veneer homes now also have gutters that are carried directly on top of the brick, no eaves, all to shave off a few extra centimeters on the block size (a leaking gutter will be disastrous).. Fake pillars are made with a large PVC pipe then rendered.. Internal plumbing is done with plastic pipe and snap together connectors, frames are nailed together without trenches in the bottom and top plates. We're sold designs that we're convinced are new and modern but the underlying design factor was always "cost cutting". Kitchen cabinets are made from particle board that lasts about 10 yrs, bath's are designed for dwarfs, carports dont really fit cars in them, internal construction doesnt provide much sound proofing, the list goes on. Our houses are getting less and liveable and more and more disposable. All so that Builders can build them faster and cheaper.

Adelaide, has some really wonderful classic building styles that we're losing, Queen Anne, Gentleman's Bungalow, Federation, Federation Revival, Blue Stone Villas, etc.. The current crop of house designs is destined for the scrap heap, we'll look back in 30yrs time and they'll be as ugly as the Austerity, Spanish Mission and Cape Cod style designs that were experimented with 20-30 yrs ago.. and on top of that shoddy construction and small blocks.. what a disaster we have on our hands!

duncan_m said:
Lovely house! :) Nice foliage growth to take the sun off walls etc.. Did you build/renovate it?
I had it built. It's in the foothills and the sloping block meant I had to do something different. I doubt if that difference is bankable though LOL

Thommo

I agree about the disastrous effects the closure of Mitsubishi would have on Adelaide - but how much is it costing us to prop up the obviously failing company ? With all the scandal happening in Mitsubishi globally, the dramatic decrease in sales for Mitsubishi cars (particularly the Magna built in Adelaide), and the inability of Mitsubishi to invest any kind of serious or sustainable money into the plant, I really can't see it lasting much longer.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom (heck, all of my IPs would be directly affected by a sudden decrease in employment in the area or by a rezoning and redevelopment of real estate too), but I wanted people's opinion on something that has been annoying me for a while - is the government actually spending more of South Australia's money in propping the plant up than it is gaining from it ? (not easily measured, I know).

Sim

I work at Mitsubishi, and am interested in why you think it's a lost cause. I dont see it that way.

I have read every single internet and media article over the last 10 years about Mitsubishi and DaimlerChrysler and it's usually baseless speculation, mostly starting in some Jap newspaper, with every other newspaper in the world reading into it what ever they please.

I'd like a dollar for every time I have read:- sources close to the Company have said! In other words- someone somewhere thinks it may happen so hey,it must be true!

The Eastern states rags are the worst culprits and the Adelaide 'tiser is not much better. Funny to see them mounting a "lets support Mitsubishi" campaign at this late stage of the game. I share some Mitsi workers feelings that someones got a hidden agenda happening.

Unfortunately, it all seems to be turning into a self fulfilling prophesy.

We build a world class car. It is fully sorted. No bugs. We dont have the recall scandals that have happened overseas. We have successfully restructured and now run a lean operation. We are capable of building "niche" products in small runs, and we have a stable political environment. We can land machined engine castings into Japan cheaper and with lower scrap than they can. I can count the number of days the unions have gone "on the grass" over ten years on one hand. And enterprise bargaining negotiations have resulted in far more flexibility to the company than say 15 years ago.

But sales appear to be dropping???

This is partly due to brand image (not helped by previous advertising strategies i.e please consider) and ill informed people believing all the crap they read in the paper and not wanting to buy a Mitsubishi just in case they pull out. Lack of fleet sales to Government don't help either.

I have personally leased 8 magnas and have never ever had to return one for a repair. I usually put 20K on the clock before changing them over. I have driven many other cars and the Magna is by far the best.

At least 250 million has been spent of the 1 billion investment for the new car so you can hardly say that Mitsubishi is not putting the money in.

I believe Rann and Folley are getting the Jap brief today. We should know by sometime this week what or future is, maybe even tonight. So we'll see what happens.

My own guess- Adelaide will survive. Might be a bit smaller and leaner thou.
And if it did close, might be some positive cash flow houses on the market soon, (not that i'll have a job to capitalize on that).

Obviously Mitsubishi Motors Corp has got it's own problems at the moment, and we may get dragged down by that, but at the end of the day the Adelaide operation is as good as it gets anywhere in the world given the volumns we do, and anyone suggesting it's a basket case doesnt know what they are talking about. I am quite sure many other manufacturers would like to get their hands on it.

Note- All of the above is the opinion of a shop floor scumbag and is strictly IMHO. (i post by my real name and dont wish to pretend that I even have a clue about what im talking about, let alone be speaking on behalf of Mitsi's)

Hi John,

Glad you could offer your perspective on these things - certainly does help to have an insider's point of view.

You are quite right in that my opinion on what is happening at Mitsubishi is formed based on what I read in the press or hear in the media. Whether that is right or wrong doesn't really matter - I am forming the same opinion most other people are because they read the same thing I am.

Public perception is a powerful thing - and no matter how good your product is, you won't sell much if people think it has problems. The scandals involving overseas operations of Mitsubishi might not have any bearing on the quality of the local product, but the perception is there, that shortcuts and coverups are endemic in the organisation. This is something that Mitsubishi need to deal with very forcefully locally - don't let the events in other countries tarnish the image of the local operation. Some serious marketing needs to happen.

The Magna competes squarely with three other cars locally - the Falcon, the Commodore and the Camry. Ford and Holden have done a huge amount of work lately to make their cars into something other than a "family car". Toyota have done a bit, but are still regarded as a cardigan car, although nowhere near as much as a Magna.

Commodores and Falcons look good, drive well and are well regarded (perception again). Magnas are not as well regarded. Why ? I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it comes down to marketing again. The product may indeed be better, but if people don't perceive it as better, then it will never do very well.

The biggest perception problem that Mitsubishi has is that it always seems to be threatening the SA government - invest more money in us or we'll close down our plant in Adelaide !! How many times have I read in the paper "Adelaide plant under thread again", or "SA Government bails out Adelaide operations of Mitsubishi, again", or "Deal struck - jobs saved, again !".

Now I might be overstating it completely, but once again I point out the perception is key here. It is only likely that people in SA who are (directly or indirectly) involved in the local industry who would have any sort of real loyalty to the brand. People interstate only ever hear what the media has to say and form a judgement based on that (right or wrong).

Mitsubishi needs to put in a lot of effort in marketing to raise it's profile and to minimise any potential damage by the actions of overseas operations. Use the media, don't let it use you.

The Gallant has an awesome reputation amongst the mid-size 4cyl class, especially with young people. I've been racing one in the game Need For Speed: Underground just recently. It's huge in the rally arena too.

The Magna is just plain boring. The Ralliart stuff has potential - they should be pushing that more than ever.

Note - I also don't wish to pretend that I have a clue about what I'm talking about - I'm mostly just ranting.

I also don't drive a "family car" - nor have I done much research into them in recent years.

:D

Back