Advertising IP for rent with multiple agents

Ive often wondered if it is possible to advertise a rental property with multiple managers to try and get the most exposure? Is this allowed, and will the property managers reject to manage if they know they will be 'competing' against each other?

Kind Regards
Martin

Allowed, yes. Although not often done.

I don't believe these type of listings encourage finding the best tenant, just a tenant. It won't give much more exposure either, as 90%+ of enquiries come from realestate.com.au, the rest is usually domain, walk-ins etc.

I do have a biased veiw, as I wouldn't accept these listings.

From a property manager's point of view it's simply annoying and a waste of time because the owners or other agents seem to constantly forget to let you know what's happening (eg: a tenant has already been found and accepted etc) after you've already spent time on it. As someone else said - if a tenant is looking, they'll find it, as most properties are on re.com.

Hi beaver700, I am a Department Manager of a large team of Property Managers. You will find if you list with multiple agents that it is a race between agencies to find a tenant more quickly, this may not leave you with the best possible tenant, just "any" tenant so they can secure the listing. I believe you are best to continue with 1 trusted agency so you can find the best tenant possible, not the quickest. Megan Harris

if you have co-agents for a property, the property can also present itself to be 'tacky' or inferior from an agents perspective.
we had a commercial property available for sublet and i had a number of open agency agreements for the premises. one of the commercial agents had that comment to say about our space after he saw the multiple number of signs outside the premises.

yes..it was a hard space to let.

Managing agent agreement??

Don't you need to sign a managing agent agreement before anything is done, and if that agreement is terminated before an agreed period (usually 12 months I think?), then you have to pay out the agreement??

So, if you signed an agreement with multiple agencies, you would have to pay out the agreed period of rental commissions to the losing agencies (unless you were able to get the agencies to agree to the multiple agency agreement, but there would still be fees to pay for their time, advertising, effort etc).

It would also be a headache to keep track of the keys, who was doing what (as mentioned before), and you could burn your bridges with a few managing agents should you wish to change at a later date.

Back