Advice on a new house build including demolition

Hi everyone,

This will be a 1st for me, I'm looking at buying land with a rentable house on it and looking at demolishing it in about 5 years time to build a new double story
house.

What is the general cost of demolishing a house with/without asbestos single story fibro house, the problems I could encounter and government costs and regulations and paperwork.

I've already talked to Masterton Homes to get a idea on costs for building.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

This will be a 1st for me, I'm looking at buying land with a rentable house on it and looking at demolishing it in about 5 years time to build a new double story
house.

What is the general cost of demolishing a house with/without asbestos single story fibro house, the problems I could encounter and government costs and regulations and paperwork.

I've already talked to Masterton Homes to get a idea on costs for building.

Thank you

I'm not going to comment on price except to give you mine in the NT, which for the most part are expensive compared to everywhere else. There are different scenarios that may occur that will affect price.

1 can the house be transported as is. Some people sell the house (or give it away) to people who can transport it for restumping elsewhere. Where I am, transport and restump runs along the lines of about $40 000. I have heard of scenarios where houses are given away at the new owners expense to restump, other times where the original owner and new owner went halves, and still other times where the original owner paid the new owner to take it.

2 concrete driveways/ground slab. These drive up the price of removal. If the house is on stumps with a fibro floor, smashing it is easy. If it's concrete, you need heavier machinery (rockbreakers, backhoes etc)

3 asbestos. If asbestos, depending on the job, expect to add several tens of thousands of dollars to removal ie 30k-40s where i am (this is why the guy in number 1 paid the new owner to take the house - cheaper to relocate than to demolish, plus its always nice not to destroy a perfectly fine house)

4 cost of dumping in your area.

To give you my experience, I'm looking at demolishing a 2BR single story dwelling with concrete slab, large concrete driveway, and metal roof/carport. My estimator put the cost at 7000. I got a price at 5000. I think I can do it personally for 2500, but then, I have friends with heavy machinery that I am very much looking forward to driving :D

cheerios

Approx. price to remove asbestos from old weatherboard cottage is about 4k
To demolish the whole house and dump away by someone is between $10,000-12,000

If you are going to do it yourself there is about 4-5k in tip fees plus you need to hire truck and machinery.

Good luck.

I recently demolished a 4 br cladded house with espestos for $10k, its a good idea to strip what you can off the house such as windows etc or hold demolition sale if you have the time. Depending on the ground level dirt remove could be expensive. Great experience!

My brother had a talk to the Masterton Homes salesmen, not myself. They told him it would cost around the 15k mark with a 5k discount with the demolish and build package but this was with asbestos removal.

Upon reading "Ocean Architect" on the cost of asbestos removal cost I was hoping it wasn't the same pricing in Sydney.

To build the new house was about 210k for double story, double garage house with the basic minimum, extra cost include facade options. I was pleasantly surprised at the building costs.

Are there any hidden or extra costs I should know about?

I think I can do it personally for 2500, but then, I have friends with heavy machinery that I am very much looking forward to driving :D

This would be a great experience, nothing like getting a bunch of friends together and just... breaking stuff and smashing things :). I just picture you with the heavy vehicle ramming the house :D I don't think that's safe but.

Be careful nswinvest, it doesn't goes like you think.

There are rules and regulations, it might sound funny but even the owners shouldn't be allowed on site, unless you are with the site supervisor, you've signed in and done your inductions, wearing safety boots, fluro shirt and a hard hat, and all you can do is walk around and not touch anything.

Bringing friends on construction site, and letting them do something, or driving any machinery without license and work method statement can get you in a lot of trouble. Very heavy fines by Work Cover and Local Council, and they will put a stop on your construction site.

There are crazy people out there doing a lot of crazy ****, but if someone gets killed you will go to jail, if they get injured you will be sued for compensation.

Don't forget to add another 50-100k to any project home that you choose, in order to finish it to move in.

Just though to give you some advice.
Good luck with building.

Yeah if you've got the contacts and time perhaps owner builder would give great saving with even better quality but the key is you need a builder that's done it before to guide ou through. I've heard many stories of base process blowing out with landscaping etc I'm sure your visiting many display centre's which always helps.

Be careful nswinvest, it doesn't goes like you think.

There are rules and regulations, it might sound funny but even the owners shouldn't be allowed on site, unless you are with the site supervisor, you've signed in and done your inductions, wearing safety boots, fluro shirt and a hard hat, and all you can do is walk around and not touch anything.

Bringing friends on construction site, and letting them do something, or driving any machinery without license and work method statement can get you in a lot of trouble. Very heavy fines by Work Cover and Local Council, and they will put a stop on your construction site.

There are crazy people out there doing a lot of crazy ****, but if someone gets killed you will go to jail, if they get injured you will be sued for compensation.

Don't forget to add another 50-100k to any project home that you choose, in order to finish it to move in.

Just though to give you some advice.
Good luck with building.

Shows you how much I know and how much I REALLY needed the advice. 50-100k to finish and move in? are you talking about furniture and so on?

My brother had a talk to the Masterton Homes salesmen, not myself. They told him it would cost around the 15k mark with a 5k discount with the demolish and build package but this was with asbestos removal.

Upon reading "Ocean Architect" on the cost of asbestos removal cost I was hoping it wasn't the same pricing in Sydney.

To build the new house was about 210k for double story, double garage house with the basic minimum, extra cost include facade options. I was pleasantly surprised at the building costs.

Are there any hidden or extra costs I should know about?

HI NSWinvester,

I built my PPOR through Masterton Homes costing me nearly 350k. Just add another 100k to the 210k for finally built. They would put cheap stuff in the house. when you near the colour room selection you will realise the cost blow out such as type of brick, roof tiles etc.

Ask about the flooring, driveways, Site cost, landscaping, built-in - this cost was not part of the 350k

Steve

HI NSWinvester,

I built my PPOR through Masterton Homes costing me nearly 350k. Just add another 100k to the 210k for finally built. They would put cheap stuff in the house. when you near the colour room selection you will realise the cost blow out such as type of brick, roof tiles etc.

Ask about the flooring, driveways, Site cost, landscaping, built-in - this cost was not part of the 350k

Steve

Wow! looks like I need to talk to this Masterton Homes representative myself as he is failing to disclose some information and making the deal look pretty sweet or my brother isn't asking the right questions.

Back