Advice please

Hello,

My husband and I own a Californian Bungalow.
We are currently renovating it.
The property is located in a Heritage Overlay.

Does this mean that any work we do to the property we require a council permit?

Unfortunately yes :( well in WA anyway, but i'd imagine other states would be the same. It's probably the one time when Council Planners are concerned with the internals of a house.

Although, on that auction show the other night, a woman was selling in Mont Albert & there was something about the whole st having a heritage overlay. The buyers were getting scared off, but they looked into it further & for some reason, hers could be demolished or reno'd with no probs. (Hers didn't look like a Cal Bung, more a 50's or 60's brick).

yeah i saw that, and I also saw the agent frantically discussing it with the Council Planners. Generally if a house or street is heritage listed, (depending on the level of its significance) some can be renovated or even demolished, however you still require Planning Approval to do anything because of that listing, even if the works fully comply with all the Council's requirements. The Council may require the works be sympathetic with the era of the house or something. Its just so that the planners or heritage consultants can give it the nod and know whats going on. But yeah check with the Council to be sure.

there are various levels of heritage overlay. best to check with council to get specific answers on what you can and cant do.
any type of heritage overlay requires a planning permit

Back