advice please

hey all!

im just looking at buying a townhouse/villa in perth, something with good rental yields..do yous have any advice on locations where i should be looking as i do not know the area quite well. only looking to spend around 350 000

appreciate all the advice i can get :)

hey all!

im just looking at buying a townhouse/villa in perth, something with good rental yields..do yous have any advice on locations where i should be looking as i do not know the area quite well. only looking to spend around 350 000

appreciate all the advice i can get :)

I doubt that you will get much help here, because you havent really given any indication that you have done any work yourself to investigate/ research etc.

Its like someone coming on and asking for us to write an essay for your uni assignment!

As PT_bear said, go and do some research, get some of your own ideas, and then come and ask for feedback on your ideas....

I doubt that you will get much help here, because you havent really given any indication that you have done any work yourself to investigate/ research etc.

Its like someone coming on and asking for us to write an essay for your uni assignment!

As PT_bear said, go and do some research, get some of your own ideas, and then come and ask for feedback on your ideas....

Also so I think, there's too many options out thre that are suitable for this situation but not that situation for people to give more meaningful advice than given so far. ;)

What are your thoughts so far ? And what are your aims (as rough as they may be at this point ) ?

advice pleace

ok fair enough about the "yous" but im sure your not that stupid enough that would get the drift of what i was meaning....and i actually lied, i live in perth i was just hoping for some property guru start throwing some suburbs at me! im currently building in dunsbrough got the block quite cheap(70 000 off asking price)...hopefully make money of the build as i dont see substantial retuns on this area..but my girlfriends dad is building so hopefully make some money there and may think about selling when finished.

now i want to buy another investment prop but i truely am in the mix with what i want to do...basically just want strong rent return and wont have to put take much money out of the pocket each week for repayments!

im 21 so just trying to learn as much as possible, i probably know nothing compared to all of "yous" on here but help would be much appreciated...even some kind of strategies i should go by...just a bit lost

Last edited:
Hi Tyrone,

Try and zero in on a few areas. Search the forum, there are many posts regarding Perth and its surrounds.

On the information resources section, there are posts on books to read and podcasts etc.

Getting a good start at 21! :cool: The forum is a great place to start learning, but don't expect to get spoon fed tho.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

ok fair enough about the "yous" but im sure your not that stupid enough..
It's not property advice but "your" is used when describing something that belongs to someone. You're is a contraction of "you are".

PS: congrats on getting started in the game at a young age.

hahah english really wasnt my thing in school..yeah i know exactly what your saying and i have looked into these forums alot! i just wanted to get into a conversation....i appreciate you saying congrats now but it really means nothing if i dont make any money lol see how i go

It's not property advice but "your" is used when describing something that belongs to someone. You're is a contraction of "you are".

PS: congrats on getting started in the game at a young age.

dis is da internet ppl rite like dis on ere ay lol :p

Get a map of Perth. Find out ave prices for villa's/townhouses by using reiwa, and other sites or subscriptions to RP Data etc. Research how much they are renting for using above resources. Research the suburbs further that look good - location, return, etc. or use a buyers agent if you're not prepared to do that.

Copy/Pasted this from a post from vaugn
Simple 3 step process for best yields:

1) Go through the data at the back of the investment magazines and find the suburbs with high yield.
2) Go through the listings for those high-yield suburbs on the real estate web of your choice site and find some houses that have a good net yield.
3) Go through the houses on open day.

Remember that the gross yield data in the magazines does NOT consider costs such as vacancy, council rates, water, or strata fees. The strata fees in particular need to be taken into account for units and townhouses because they can be substantial expenses, and will significantly reduce the net yield.

i really need help with how to go about things, as in what kind of strategy i should pursue.....before i go out and buy another

i really need help with how to go about things, as in what kind of strategy i should pursue.....before i go out and buy another

Tyrone, strategy isn't a one-size-fits-all thing.

You can certainly read about how others did it in our Interviews Forum - but at the end of the day, to find out what suits you, we'd need a heap more information.

For starters:

Objectives/targets (strategy is a means of getting to an objective)
Income
Expenses
Stability of income
Future income plans
Lifestyle costs
Your risk profile

etc etc etc

The Y-man

Objectives/targets- i would like to be retired by 30. (is that a dream?)

Income- atm my mrs and i earn 2300 p/w ($4600)

Expenses- 300k loan for block in dunsbrough...expecting to spend 300k on build

Stability of income- going traveling for 6 weeks in july but hopefully can fall back into the same jobs,

Future income plans- keep up north earning above 100k each

Lifestyle costs- pay heavy rent being in karratha 500p/w but i suppose all up 1000/pw

Your risk profile--- may aswell take chances now while i will still have time repair myself if all goes to crap.

i dont know if i should buy a house/unit/town house...bloody confused atm

is that ok??

Nah good start..

Are you saivng the rest at the moment ( I realise you might be contirbuting to th build costs, so I'm including that).

To retire in 9 years, it wont be buy 2 villas in some suburb and wait, it will have to be more active...

First, what do you want to be comfortable enough to retire ?

eg $400k income, so I can live of $100k odd and have good safety net or just enough to get by (what $ amount ? ) and actively keep investing etc

hahah english really wasnt my thing in school..yeah i know exactly what your saying and i have looked into these forums alot! i just wanted to get into a conversation....i appreciate you saying congrats now but it really means nothing if i dont make any money lol see how i go

Sounds like you and the g/f are working in the mines.. can i ask what type of work you're doing and if you can keep similar earnings for the next 5-10 yrs? The main things you have going for you are age and a good income. I would be focusing on cap growth over cashflow if you can afford to service decent loans. Cap gains aren't guaranteed but highly probable in areas such as 5km of Melbourne's CBD. Figure out how much debt you can comfortably service which will help identify types of propertys that might suit you. Also consider taking advantage of the "strong" AUD and investing in other asset classes o'seas.

Youse is australian term

It's not property advice but "yous" is not a word.

Cheers

Jamie

"Youse" or "yous" is definitely an australian term. Often you will hear it used by blue collar workers or aussie yobbos to mean you people. Often boxers after winning their match will say "I love youse all"

Back