Looking to buy a blue chip IP in Brisbane

Hi jerrybee - once you've narrowed down the properties/streets you're intereted in, how do you keep tabs on when they come to market? Do you just search new listings on RE.com, keeping an eye out for properties on your watchlist?

Just refresh RE / Domain every day and wait for the new listings to pop up.

I believe Domain has alerts too, but they are delayed a little, which could cost you. If you have a smartphone, just refresh the app like every hour.

Yeah it went alright took longer than expected though...

Rented out privately now

Did you renno yours in the end or just rent it?

I don't think you will see houses that cheap in that pocket again so I reckon you did well

The plan was to reno if needed when the tenants that were existing moved out, but as soon as they gave notice the agent said don't bother, the rental demand in the area is very high! I had someone signing the lease with a $20 increase the day it hit the Internet advertising it available 2 months before vacant! API listed birkdale as 6th lowest vacancy rate in Brisbane in the latest edition....good signs!!

Last edited:
Just refresh RE / Domain every day and wait for the new listings to pop up.

I believe Domain has alerts too, but they are delayed a little, which could cost you. If you have a smartphone, just refresh the app like every hour.

Lol Jerrybee I hope you work for yourself because it looks like you don't have the time to be productive in a PAYE job with that much phone action!

The plan was to reno if needed when the tenants that were existing moved out, but as soon as they gave notice the agent said don't bother, the rental demand in the area is very high! I had someone signing the lease with a $20 increase the day it hit the Internet advertising it available 2 months before vacant! API listed birkdale as 6th lowest vacancy rate in Brisbane in the latest edition....good signs!!

That vacancy rate was probably due to zero investors in the area

Vacancy rate has almost doubled in the last couple of months though

Which is because investors have been buying new house and land packages in the areas south of Birkdale rd
Been paying mid 5s as well which is a positive sign

It takes literally 10 seconds to open each app and hit the refresh button:)

Seems like a lot of work. Do you do this even when you're not prepared to purchase at the moment? You need a hobby ;)
I'd suggest getting to know the agents in the area you're targeting would be more efficient, a lot of good deals are gone before they even get to www.realestate.com.au
Could at least save your from getting RSI on your refresh finger.

Seems like a lot of work. Do you do this even when you're not prepared to purchase at the moment? You need a hobby ;)
I'd suggest getting to know the agents in the area you're targeting would be more efficient, a lot of good deals are gone before they even get to www.realestate.com.au
Could at least save your from getting RSI on your refresh finger.

Na I don't do it as much now as I'm not in the hunt.

But at the time I had also called every agent in the area. I made dozens of calls. But not all of them will give you a head start, some will just throw them onto the market. So you need to do both:)

Back