advice to send money to OZ from overseas?

Hi Ladies and gents.

Was wondering if anyone can help or assist with advice.

I am currently overseas in the UAE and looking atall options of how I can transfer my money from here back to Oz for mortgage repayments etc on my IP'S.
AS you know the aussie dollar is very high at the moment and exchange rate is poor.
Currently both my banks (UAE one and CBA) charging also for the transfer from each end!:eek:
My questions:

• I read on one post once someone suggesting a currency exchange service that offers competitive rates
• Any advice for best methodology for these telegraphic transfers cosidering the fluctuations in the rate? strategies?
• Any other methods or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I am a big fan of this forum and the good folk who post on it !;)

Warrabista

The other one you might want to try is ozforex.

Used these to transfer funds to the US and they gave me cent for cent the real exchange rate. They did charge a $15 fee I am not sure whether this is fixed or varies with the amount - I only transferred $5k.

Cheers

PS Don't know whether they offer the service in the UAE but worth having a look

from their web site

Flat fee of A$15 for transactions below A$10,000 and no fees above A$10,000

Hi,

Not sure about how much they can handle but we send money back and forth to family in NZ using Paypal.

If you have someone here with a PP account you could remit to that PP account, then transfer to a bank account with a DD arranged for repayments.

They charge us 0.5% to transfer, so that works out at $5 per thousand for small amounts. The exchange rate seems reasonable as I have checked it against the rate shown on the news each night and it calculates about right each time.

Just another possibility for you

Hi Warrabista

We spent 8 years just up the road in Doha. I think Hifx and ozforex will get you the best rate for individual transfers. However to keep our overall banking charges down, we opened an account with HSBC in Doha and in Oz. It saved us money on transfers (we didn't know about the forex companies then) and gave us a good introduction to HSBC in OZ.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Rolf,PT Bear,Handyandy,Macca and MrMonopoly thanks for the heads up and tips and pointers...
cheers much appreciated.
Lofty : thanks mate We spent 8 years just up the road in Doha :eek:8 years in Doha? jeeZ!
I was there for 2 with the Asian Games and that was enough!
hope you saved a pretty penny from your time there...;)

By the look of things I will have to transfer money to these services from UAE in dirham ,then from there into the CBA In OZ. is that right?

Cheers anyway

Back