Advise for Landlords - Gas appliances (Especially in Victoria)

Hi all,

As you are probably aware energy safe Victoria has started their carbon monoxide "the silent killer" campaign with ads on TV etc. etc.

I have always recommended my landlords have their gas heaters serviced approx once every 2 years. If your PM hasn't mentioned it then it may not have occured to you so do consider it! If something terrible happens you are going to want to be able to display that you, as a landlord, took all reasonable steps to ensure the property was safe for your tenants.

There are also carbon monoxide alarms available (ask your plumber if they can get their hands on them). They are like a smoke alarm, run on batteries and they are set off by dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Best installed near your heater. If the alarm goes off the tenant knows to turn off the heater and contact their PM right away to arrange for some repairs (I have a plumber who is able to get and install them for $100 just so you have a bit of an idea on cost).

Just another safety net that is out there and is definately a sound investment - I would recommend it to you all!

My understanding is that it will be law for twice yearly inspections by a licensed gas fitter, and all IPs with gas devices will need to be fitted with a gas detector.

My understanding is that it will be law for twice yearly inspections by a licensed gas fitter, and all IPs with gas devices will need to be fitted with a gas detector.
Not law yet though they are looking to get this passed along with laws requiring landlords to check their smoke detectors regularly and possibly to install hard wired alarms in older properties.

Even with out it being required yet, it is a very good idea - It shouldn't be a law to make people do it!

Back