Aesbestos?

Went to an open house yesterday and someone there raised a point about asbestos - how prevalent is this stuff in older houses, say 1940s bungalows? Should an asbestos report be done on all older properties or just in the case of the suspect ones?

Pas mentioned pretty much every every house before 1980 will have it. Although I have found it in places up to 1990. It's usually your eave sheets, shower/bath wall sheeting under the tiles, external cladding on some old places and if your really unlock you might have it as roofing. The roofing is by far the worst type as far as I know.

But it is actually a really good long lasting product as long as it is not disturbed.

Most likely has asbestos, in the bathroom or kitchen.

Went to a house open a week ago, the property had asbestos fences on all sides. The asbestos was severely cracked and missing pieces in several places. The tenants or landlord had neatly placed strips of aluminium foil over the exposed pieces of asbestos.

Unsurprising no one has offered on the property and if they do get someone to, the building and pest will rip it to shreds.

Asbestos is given such a bad wrap that people thibk that if you look at it, it will zap you with cancer rays and you'll die within 20 mins

The people that got cancer were mostly.people inhaling the stuff for 30 yrs day in day out with the dust everywhere

Thay being said thay Asian Melbourne lady got skin cancer from going to a solarium a few times

Basically if it's untouched it's fine

If it's damp, you can crack it and you'll be fine, unless you decide to snortit like cocaine

It's only if it's dry and there is dust going everywhere it's considered arisk

If I recall correctly if you are removing n internal walls you have to wear a mask and leave it for an hour or something, whatever the sqm formula is

So hardly going to hang around for ever

Asbestos is given such a bad wrap that people thibk that if you look at it, it will zap you with cancer rays and you'll die within 20 mins

How flippant :eek:. Tell that to my uncle :mad:. Oh that's right, you can't, because he is dead.

The people that got cancer were mostly.people inhaling the stuff for 30 yrs day in day out with the dust everywhere

Not true. According to the experts, you can get it from just one fibre lodging in your lungs. You can be lucky... or unlucky.

Thay being said thay Asian Melbourne lady got skin cancer from going to a solarium a few times

Basically if it's untouched it's fine

If it's damp, you can crack it and you'll be fine, unless you decide to snortit like cocaine

It's only if it's dry and there is dust going everywhere it's considered arisk

If I recall correctly if you are removing n internal walls you have to wear a mask and leave it for an hour or something, whatever the sqm formula is

So hardly going to hang around for ever

The underlined bit is truly BAD advice. Just don't touch it at all. If it is intact you are fine. Don't drill it, don't cut it and don't smash it up.

We just had kitchen, bathroom, two small bedrooms, a toilet room (walls and ceilings), a downstairs store room and a downstairs toilet removed professionally. The professionals wear appropriate clothing, wet it down, remove it in large sheets if they can, wrap it properly and dump it appropriately. The cost was $4,700. They vacuum the area and hose the walls down with a PVA glue in the water to ensure the fibres don't fly about when they dry out. That is my understanding anyway.

My understanding is that the dump fees are very high. This job took one loooooong day and they took away two truckloads of asbestos plus the bath, timber cupboards and the kitchen. Part of the quote $500 was for the removal and dumping of the bathroom and kitchen fittings but saved us several dump trips, plus we didn't have to get dirty.

We could have done the plastering, but got a professional in to replace the upstairs walls and ceilings for $4,900.

It adds $10K to our son's house, but next purchaser will not be scared off.

Asbestos is a great insulator and is ok as long as it is not disturbed, but can cause cancer if inhaled at all. It's prevalent in most pre-1980's houses unless it's been removed - I know that in Canberra in the 1990s the government undertook a program of asbestos removal from a lot of houses due to the risk.

The situation in Canberra regarding asbestos contamination is still ongoing - they didn't solve much by removing it in the 90's. People need to be aware that houses in Canberra, Queanbeyan and the south coast of NSW have the potential to contain loose asbestos fibres due to the "Mr Fluffy" legacy. Basically for 11 years between 1968-1979 one guy imported loose asbestos and sold it as an alternate loose-fill insulation quaintly known as "AsbestosFluff". His "Mr Fluffy" company insulated hundreds and hundreds of homes with this stuff.

In the 90's they attempted to remedy the situation by removing the loose-fill insulation from over 1000 homes in Canberra, but they've since found they didn't (& probably couldn't) remove all the asbestos fibres and in some cases these fibres have migrated into the living areas of the houses. 10 houses in Canberra have recently been deemed too contaminated to live in and the residents have been forced to move out. Even more scary is that in Queanbeyan and the south coast the insulation was never removed as part of the clean up program as the NSW govt didn't view it as a problem.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-...s-linked-to-mr-fluffy-houses-minister/5613662

Hi Wylie

Not being flippant as The Asbestos Society is a group I donate to and have had an (older) friends brother pass on due to Mesothelioma (they grew up in Wittenoom), is the below correct :confused:

Not true. According to the experts, you can get it from just one fibre lodging in your lungs. You can be lucky... or unlucky.

The underlined bit is truly BAD advice. Just don't touch it at all. If it is intact you are fine. Don't drill it, don't cut it and don't smash it up.

We just had kitchen, bathroom, two small bedrooms, a toilet room (walls and ceilings), a downstairs store room and a downstairs toilet removed professionally. The professionals wear appropriate clothing, wet it down, remove it in large sheets if they can, wrap it properly and dump it appropriately. The cost was $4,700. They vacuum the area and hose the walls down with a PVA glue in the water to ensure the fibres don't fly about when they dry out. That is my understanding anyway.

My understanding is that the dump fees are very high. This job took one loooooong day and they took away two truckloads of asbestos plus the bath, timber cupboards and the kitchen. Part of the quote $500 was for the removal and dumping of the bathroom and kitchen fittings but saved us several dump trips, plus we didn't have to get dirty.

We could have done the plastering, but got a professional in to replace the upstairs walls and ceilings for $4,900.

It adds $10K to our son's house, but next purchaser will not be scared off.

Well Wylie, that advice as from a fully qualified asbestos handler

I don't remember the exact formulae but you had to leave it for a certain time for the dust to settle

If asbestos was so scary, ie if you look at it, you'd be dead within the hour
Then you wouldn't be able to even go near it

The truth is asbestos in long term exposure is risky

If you follow the guidelines then you can handle itbsafely

Sorry about your uncle but he got a raw deal, it's like saying anyone who got exposed to the sun got skin cancer and died

Everything gives you cancer these days, whether it be alcohol, fast food, carbonated drinks, to spicy food

Ahhh no.

It takes only 1 single fibre to contract something.

And you are 50 times more likely to contract something if you are a smoker.

I work in the building industry and the above information is not new and is what made me stop going near asbestos and give up smoking 10 years ago....

It's usually your eave sheets, shower/bath wall sheeting under the tiles, external cladding on some old places and if your really unlock you might have it as roofing.

Also run into it in few other areas.
Often in older electrical domestic switchboards.
Also "Vinyl" style flooring, usually square tiles glued can have it. Various backing products for flooring.
Hot water pipe lagging.
Around fire places as a heat shield.

Back