AFS Logic Wall

great product but trades need to be specific in their understanding of the system, especially the pour stages (not staGE - staGES ).

i like the fact there's no cracking and you can just flush the joins inside and paint straight over. outside can take sand render, acrylic render, cladding, stone....that and it's over 220kg/sqm so it's energy compliance exempt.

but yeah, the trades are the killer. use a recommmended trade from the supplier - they're the one that can avoid the centre-of-panel bulbing during the pour, etc.

i liek it and will be using it if ever i build again, for my thermal mass quotient.

Worked with the stuff for about 7 years. Was going to start a business installing it but didn't have the working capital. If your gonna use it pm me first. I've worked with every installer in Perth and Sydney. I let you know who's best

Aaron & Reeco,

How did you gents find the product for dollar cost say compared with reinforced concrete panels (tilt up walls) or other similar methods of construction?

Just had a quick squiz over the website and it would seem the speed of construction is a big benefit and would obviously improve "time & labour" costs.

In fact as I write, I should imagine the reduced weight / loading would also reduce the engineering and dollars on what would normally be massive concrete foundations for say a three level apartment complex for example.

Interested in your views.

Cheers,

Ian.

wow Reece! awesome stuff - i'll be in contact!!!

the shortage of AFS installers would point me in the direction of Paul Halbwirth for tilt up, personally, but now we have Reece to chat to....!

Aaron & Reeco,

How did you gents find the product for dollar cost say compared with reinforced concrete panels (tilt up walls) or other similar methods of construction?

Just had a quick squiz over the website and it would seem the speed of construction is a big benefit and would obviously improve "time & labour" costs.

In fact as I write, I should imagine the reduced weight / loading would also reduce the engineering and dollars on what would normally be massive concrete foundations for say a three level apartment complex for example.

Interested in your views.

Cheers,

Ian.

Youl have to ask a builder who has actually used the system. Not the installers. Aarons info is spot on. From the installers to the buldging sections. Its as fast as they say. Sometimes even faster. Ive lost count of all the apartment blocks ive done..maybe 30?? last project i did up was the Leighton Beach Project in North Freo. I did maybe 3 apartment blocks that were 10+ storys in 1year from slab to roof in 2009.

4 town houses would be nothing. 1 week max. If your doing town houses or anything that requires a another slab, it will be the slab that'l take the most time. Last townhouse build i did was a 10 townhouse project in Jurien Bay(WA) 7months ago. Took us about 9days give or take

sorry about bumping an old thread,

struggling to find independent info on AFS.

has anyone done a comparison of AFS vs. brick?

how much extra does AFS cost vs. how much time saved?

I've been thinking about AFS recently too :)

I'm trying to remember if 2008 was an expensive year to lay bricks or not. At the moment it's cheaper to lay verticore/fastwall and render for the outer leaf than single course feature brick due to the high price per brick laid charges.

current prices quoted as
Typically AFS150 would be supplied and installed and filled with concrete for approx $ 215/m2, ready for applied finishes.

what's the current perth prices for double brick (materials and labour)?

doing some research on another forum,

http://www.bricklayaustralia.com.au/images/suggested%20australian%20domestic%20bricklayers%20and%20blocklayers%20rate%20sheet%202012-2013.pdf

looking at $1.20 per brick laid. more for blocks $4.50 + $4

here is a Boral price list
http://www.boral.com.au/brochures/ordering/PDF/7M_10679_WA_Pricelist_v9.pdf?site=boral&company=Pavers

which ranges in cost from $38 for blocks to $65 for maxi bricks per sqm

this equates to roughly
$120 to $150 per square meter
and this is single brick...

though wondering if the figure for AFS also takes into account for steel and concrete & plus concrete pump hire.

some more information on AFS, hopefully useful to others.

the walls are quite thin, but this doesn't account for insulation, and water pipes can't be run through the AFS, a stud wall needs to be used, which adds additional costs and thickness.

there aren't many builders that use the stuff.
speaking to the Perth distributor trustruct.com.au,
four builders were recommended;
mconstruction.com.au
danmarhomes.com
Sovran Design
Loren Construction

not much choice at all.

some more information on AFS, hopefully useful to others.

the walls are quite thin, but this doesn't account for insulation, and water pipes can't be run through the AFS, a stud wall needs to be used, which adds additional costs and thickness.

there aren't many builders that use the stuff.
speaking to the Perth distributor trustruct.com.au,
four builders were recommended;
mconstruction.com.au
danmarhomes.com
Sovran Design
Loren Construction

not much choice at all.

Thanks for all the research sharing.
I know I had read that services could be run in it but if you can't do water pipes then that is a shame.
When you say it doesn't account for insulation - I thought it's R rating meant that you probably didn't need insulation?

I know I had read that services could be run in it but if you can't do water pipes then that is a shame.

only electrical conduit can be run through the wall prior to filling.

When you say it doesn't account for insulation - I thought it's R rating meant that you probably didn't need insulation?

I guess it depends if you can meet the energy requirements with the concrete wall only. If you can't, you will need to add insulation somewhere, double brick can be added in-between the cavity. AFS there is no cavity so it needs to be added between an adjacent stud wall.

AFS is good. I have been involved in at least 30 or 40 projects that used it.

Cost wise im not sure how it stacks up against brickwork except for the fact that it is MUCH quicker. You can form up and pour AFS wall in a couple of days that would take weeks to do brick work for.

There is additional costs too in the slab as you need starter bars in the slab for all the AFS walls where as with bricks you do not unless you are using blocks.

There is another similar product out there called Dincel.

Afs Wall installer

doing some research on another forum,

http://www.bricklayaustralia.com.au/images/suggested%20australian%20domestic%20bricklayers%20and%20blocklayers%20rate%20sheet%202012-2013.pdf

looking at $1.20 per brick laid. more for blocks $4.50 + $4

here is a Boral price list
http://www.boral.com.au/brochures/ordering/PDF/7M_10679_WA_Pricelist_v9.pdf?site=boral&company=Pavers

which ranges in cost from $38 for blocks to $65 for maxi bricks per sqm

this equates to roughly
$120 to $150 per square meter
and this is single brick...

though wondering if the figure for AFS also takes into account for steel and concrete & plus concrete pump hire.

I've been installing Afs walls since 2003. Im looking to bring a team of experienced installers to W.A I know every about afs products and have faced every situation there is when installing afs walls

Afs installer

I've been thinking about AFS recently too :)

I'm trying to remember if 2008 was an expensive year to lay bricks or not. At the moment it's cheaper to lay verticore/fastwall and render for the outer leaf than single course feature brick due to the high price per brick laid charges.

If your in need of the best Afs wall installers pm me your contacts.I Been installing Afs Walls since 2003 in Sydney NSW and have just recently left HD Projects NSW to follow my dream.(Start a install co.) HD Projects in NSW have been leading the market here for over 12 yrs now. HD W.A is owned by someone else who had brought the company in 2007/2009 off the owners in Sydney. Keeping HD name as they are well established.

Im looking for investors, Builders, Developers Afs installers in W.A in need of
experienced installers. Me and my team know everything about Afs wall products (Ready wall) Most of my team have spent a large part of our lives installing AFS Walls.(The originals)

Anybody have any tips on how I can get a opportunity in W.A.......

Experienced installers and man power isn't a issue...I can get upto 20+ installers if need be...
All who have been installing Afs for 5-12 yrs now!!!!!

AFS is good. I have been involved in at least 30 or 40 projects that used it.

Cost wise im not sure how it stacks up against brickwork except for the fact that it is MUCH quicker. You can form up and pour AFS wall in a couple of days that would take weeks to do brick work for.

There is additional costs too in the slab as you need starter bars in the slab for all the AFS walls where as with bricks you do not unless you are using blocks.

There is another similar product out there called Dincel.

Dincel can be risky, Used in basements mainly.....Has pro's and con's like every other product and will blow your budget when things go wrong....

I run a job in randwick few years back installing Afs walls. Next door some cowboys where building 100 units 4 level building with dincel. We completed a level with Afs walls in 6 days with 7 men. Next door used 8 boys taking 9 days to complete level. At the end of the job (Dincel) they ended up paying $300,000 to fix all the defects. Walls out of plum 30-50mm and looked terrible.

Back