Age and financial position calculation?

That was when I realised 2 IPs was not going to cut it.

Yup - two years back hubby demanded to know why his super and two ip's weren't enough ... until I pointed out that he'd just spent the entire yearly income from such on a single vehicle only a month earlier.

How do you deal with this formula as a couple?

By the raw formula ...I need to pull my finger out. But hubby is waaaaay ahead. :rolleyes: pfft. Like he would be there without me :p

You need to understand that behind every successful man stands a wonderful woman.

Why is this difficult for a younger person?

Say you are 35 and earning 100K. That means your net worth should be 400K. Ok.. that may be not possible for many people.
BUT
Say when this person earns 150K when he turns 60. Then the net worth should be 1 Mill.

Now start working backwards. Say the property doubles every 15 years (worst case). That means you need to have investments of 1 million by the age of 45 so that you would have the 1 mill equity by that time you reach 60. You still have 10 years to do that!!

May be the formula is developed using a particular age group. With in a small range it may be linear but it is not true when you go a bit further.

It is definitely possible to have net worth of 400k by age 35- many writers on this forum have claimed this.

Property may not double every 15 years.

Don't know why this is important.

Where I am now matters. Where I want to be matters. How I'm going to get from where I am now to where I want to be is the most important.

Where someone thinks I 'should be'? Meaningless. How I measure up to my peers? Also meaningless, unless it's to learn from them.

If you have all the cashflow to fulfill all your goals, and someone else thinks you're poor, does that matter?

If you haven't reached your goal yet, but other people (because there are always those better and worse off than you) think you're rich, does that matter? Does it matter to you that someone else is a billionaire? Not really. It only matters in the general sense that the average affects you relatively, but individuals don't.

In the same vein, if you haven't reached your goals yet, saying 'well, it's because I used to be on low pay' doesn't help. Making excuses to yourself is the worst thing you can do.

It is human nature to keep up with the Jones'. I don't think that you can really feel good if you are the only driver of toyota in a suburb of ferrari and lamborgs. If you do not constantly elevate your goals and aspirations, you cannot improve.

It is human nature to keep up with the Jones'. I don't think that you can really feel good if you are the only driver of toyota in a suburb of ferrari and lamborgs. If you do not constantly elevate your goals and aspirations, you cannot improve.

What a load of it!

Sorry China, but you have many recent posts here on SS that show you may not yet have realised that Keeping Up With the Jones is a surefire way to retire poor. I think you might discover that Millionaires Next Door dont want to live in a suburb where the others drive Ferraris and Lambs. Most of us would be quite happy driving a Toyota (well, a pre-loved Lexus then) if it means we can exit the rat race and live by a beach somewhere long before we are too old and decrepid to do so otherwise.

Please, go and read Rich Dad Poor Dad again if you misunderstood the chapter about doodads.

What a load of it!

Sorry China, but you have many recent posts here on SS that show you may not yet have realised that Keeping Up With the Jones is a surefire way to retire poor. I think you might discover that Millionaires Next Door dont want to live in a suburb where the others drive Ferraris and Lambs. Most of us would be quite happy driving a Toyota (well, a pre-loved Lexus then) if it means we can exit the rat race and live by a beach somewhere long before we are too old and decrepid to do so otherwise.

Please, go and read Rich Dad Poor Dad again if you misunderstood the chapter about doodads.

My point is that it would be good to be financially free but still be able to drive a ferrari at a young age. Whilst we would be happy driving a toyota, I suspect that a ferrari, bought second hand with cashflow arising from a fraction of their passive income stream would make most people happier still. I note that the millionaires next door generally drive toyota but what about the billionaires next door.

I remember once when I was working as a Trainee, my Boss's wife did something for him which he needed done (can't remember the task).

She said to him in a joking manner, in front of me; "See?; Where would you be without me?"

His straight faced reply was "Probably driving a Porsche, right now".

:D

As long as there is only ever one. :D

Nothing matches a divorce as a setback to wealth creation.

I look at a lot of entrepeneurs who have declared bankruptcy, gone to jail and when they emerge from jail, they are still usually driving a Ferrari to their waterfront mansion. I am thinking of Rod Adler, Geoff Edelstein and Alan Bond. I believe that the only way that these people can emerge unscathed despite jail terms is the support of the good wife.

I look at a lot of entrepeneurs who have declared bankruptcy, gone to jail and when they emerge from jail, they are still usually driving a Ferrari to their waterfront mansion. I am thinking of Rod Adler, Geoff Edelstein and Alan Bond. I believe that the only way that these people can emerge unscathed despite jail terms is the support of the good wife.

And an even better accountant + lawyer.

So what happens if you are a single billionaire and go to jail after bankruptcy? Is everything lost?

If I was in that situation I would've ensured that my mother was the sole director and shareholder of my companies/trusts so I could re-emerge and resume my lifestyle.

If I was in that situation I would've ensured that my mother was the sole director and shareholder of my companies/trusts so I could re-emerge and resume my lifestyle.

And if you had no mother, father, spouse, children or close relatives - would you be able to re-emerge from the ashes?

What a load of it!

When I first read the above, I was in complete agreement. But I have been listening to a number of things lately including bob proctor and think and grow rich. He talks about if you want something then you need to think about it.

In fact a lot of the discussion centers on minimizing your limiting beliefs, hence seeing oneself being better than the Joneses is a perfectly valid and in fact commendable trait.

Back