Agents offering me different prices...why?

Hi all - i Have a dilema. I want to put my home on the market but agents are giving me different prices. I got these prices through a site however I am sceptical of the responses as they seem to good to be true.

Any advice on what I should do?
Tks

Last edited by a moderator:
True but that website does show on the homepage that agents respond differently in quoting prices.

Who do i believe or should i just go with my gut instinct on price?

Given your recently deleted thread with links to that website and the new thread also asking about it, which viral marketing company do you work for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually when we get new member whos first post or two is links to external websites, its viral marketing or spam to try to drive traffic to the site

What you should probably do is talk to your mortgage broker to get a comparative market analysis for your property. That will give you an indication of price.

Once you've received this report there should be comparable sales included. Look up the sales on the internet and decide if your property is better or worse than the photos, floor plan and land sizes.

This will give you a better understanding.

Finally, have agents inspect your property... There is really no way they can be accurate purely online... They'll just be conducting a similar process to which I've just described.

so some agents have quoted you a price, over the internet, without visiting the property?

No wonder they are so different, get some people out to look through the place :)

And look around at whats is on the market at the moment. See whats more comparable to yours, don't choose the agent on the price they quote, they havent even seen it and they just to win you over with over quoting

I'm not sure of different states, but in the ACT an agent can't give a market opinion without physically inspecting the property.

Pretty good reason; you can't give an accurate price unless you've seen the home

Sure, there are exceptions ; if it's a complex with loads of recent sales for identical properties etc.

But in the vast majority, the agent needs to see the home.

One of my properties has been listed for sale today. I had a few agents in, each had their ideas on sale price, list price and method of sales campaign. I know the local market really well and I wanted to be in control of setting the price. I went with an agent who allowed me to do that. It's really important to know your market otherwise the agents will take advantage of this, telling you a higher price to get your business and then very quickly condition you down to a more realistic price.

It's really important to know your market otherwise the agents will take advantage of this, telling you a higher price to get your business and then very quickly condition you down to a more realistic price.

Sounds about right, win you over on price and smarm then after the ink is barely dry, start conditioning you down to the figure that is realistic.

Hint, if the agent is telling you $X, hold them to it - if they don't believe it is achieveable, then tell them to cancel the sales agreement. That is honesty in sales.

Maybe you should just get a proper independent professional valuation? The $600 (or whatever they cost) would pay for itself if it saves you from getting talked into selling for a price that is too low.

Back