Airlie Beach

Hi Everyone,

thought I would ask your opinion on Airlie Beach. :) There is now some serious money being spent in Airlie Beach on infrastructure (1.2 billion), property development and so on. It seems that Airlie is trying to move away from its image as a backpacker's resort --and given recent direction by the council, it seems that Airlie will in the next few years reposition itself to attract more upmarket tourist traffic.

I was wondering if anyone else had looked at Airlie Beach to invest in -- :confused: either holiday letting or residential (the latter is my preference). Is this the right time, or is there so much development at the moment (already started and in the planning stages) that the issue of over supply looms large. :eek: The population is growing (present indications -- approx 500 people per year). Will development outpace population.

Any and all advice on Airlie Beach would really be welcome. :)

Thanks

Helen

If you cannot afford Airlie itself, there is always nearby Cannonvale and Shute Harbour to look at. Proserpine could yield something as well.

We used to live in Cannonvale and our previous PPOR is now an IP.

Talking to friends who are longterm residents, they can't see how the current building spree is sustainable as they already think there is an oversupply of both residential and holiday property.

One problem in my amateurish opinion is that Airlie (and surrounding suburbs) are very isolated and solely dependent on a tourist population that mainly flies in. While air links have improved lately, they will be affected by oil prices.

Having said that our agents keep sending us stuff saying that the town was fully booked for one or other public holiday so maybe it is seen as a safe holiday destination. We have also never had any problem letting our property.

Others have posted previously re Proserpine being an alternative, but I prefer Cannonvale and Jubilee Pocket. I used to work in Proserpine - nice small country town but I don't feel it has a lot going for it. We are still negatively gearing our property in Cannonvale and although we have made great capital gains, I am not convinced there is much room for further growth there now and rental returns are pretty limited so I will not be looking for more in that area at present.

Great place to have to visit to inspect your property though!

Harpic

I've considered buying there as a "retirement" property. we love the Whitsunday area and would like to see out our "twilight years" somewhere like that.
I think there is still growth there - I think anything near the ocean will continue to grow.

Pen

Hi,

In response to Brenda:

If you cannot afford Airlie itself, there is always nearby Cannonvale and Shute Harbour to look at. Proserpine could yield something as well.

I would be less likely to invest in Cannonvale, Jubilee Pocket, Proserpine or Shute Harbour. Its not really a matter of "cannot afford" Airlie Beach -- its a matter of whether the investment is sustainable in the short term. :eek: Will the population continue to grow to absorb the substantial development (units, townhouses, homes) taking place now and into the future.

In response to Harpic:
Talking to friends who are longterm residents, they can't see how the current building spree is sustainable as they already think there is an oversupply of both residential and holiday property.

In a nutshell, my concern. :eek:

Of course with all the (non residential) development taking place (eg Port of Airlie Marina -- intended to rival the best in the world); a new shopping centre; resort accommodation and other infrastructure -- it seems that employment opportunities will draw people into the area -- hopefully with an interest in renting.

The whole purpose of looking at Airlie Beach (apart from the wonderful Islands of the Whitsundays) is to get in before the crowd -- and reap the benefits :cool:

In many respects Airlie Beach is undervalued. With the right development, there is no reason why Airlie couldn't become a "hot spot". You only have to look at Maloolabba (spelling??) -- five or six years ago, this area was also considered a backpackers resort. Now look at the main strip. Five star apartment complexes, plenty of restaurants, shops etc. Low vacancy levels. If you want to buy an apartment on the main strip (2 bedroom/2 bathroom) you won't get much change from $900,000.

Anyway I digress. :eek: If anyone has further ideas on Airlie Beach -- please feel free to comment. :) :) :)

Regards,
Helen

The big artificial lagoon/swimming pool there just off the main drag, and towards the beach, absolutely rocks.:D

'Bout all I can offer though I'm afraid.

hi garbage
not sure I follow the gst carve up
or the lions share
maybe I missed some thng here
I would be interested from people on the ground there with regards to whats happening
there is alot being mutted and alot been alocated
thanks

hi garbage
thats ok
I was thinking about investing
maybe I am not on the same wave lenght.
I am looking for invetsors in this area that maybe able to give a bit of insight into this area.
now i know that this board has thing like what dog should i buy.
will these shoes go with this dress
and even seen one with what coffee do you drink.
but not sure if this site will change the alocation of gst or what state gets what.
my advice and I don't give it much
is put energy into what or how can I invest
and in what and the gst will sort itself out
but ha thats me
knock yourself out worrying about stuff you cant control
or take control and do stuff you can control.
maybe again our wave lenghts are very different
and hope you well

hi garbage
thats ok
I was thinking about investing
maybe I am not on the same wave lenght.
I am looking for invetsors in this area that maybe able to give a bit of insight into this area.
now i know that this board has thing like what dog should i buy.
will these shoes go with this dress
and even seen one with what coffee do you drink.
but not sure if this site will change the alocation of gst or what state gets what.
my advice and I don't give it much
is put energy into what or how can I invest
and in what and the gst will sort itself out
but ha thats me
knock yourself out worrying about stuff you cant control
or take control and do stuff you can control.
maybe again our wave lenghts are very different
and hope you well

My point being that a bigger allocation of the GST pie could mean more freeways, hospitals, rail infrastructure, etc etc.

chances of changing allocation of gst
sip
chances of people investing in property
high
which am I interested in
second
any interest in the first
sip

Just off a quick glance on realestate.com.au the other day, it seems prices up there have been smashed!

Blocks seem to be going cheap in Canonvale.

Might be time to take a look again.......

Well, love Airlie Beach, terrific stepping stone town for the Whitsunday Paradise Sweet Heaven Islands.

The food is fine, the people divine...the ocean and islands sublime.

I have some figures from 2003, 2006 and 2009:

Sourced from older copies of Australian Property Investor. So, for what the figures are worth they are a little mismatch humpty dumpty, residex, then property monitors..figures are all over the place.

Proserpine: median was $110,000... capital growth last 12 mths minus .25% .......annual sales 86

Bowen: median $97,000..... 12 mths CG 11.08%......ann sales 240

Ayr:...$101,000........11.30%.........96
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ayr: median $130,000...........12 mths Growth 11.5%.......45 sold

Airlie Beach: $421,000..........5.25%............................54 sold

Bowen:$272,000................37.37%..........................25 sold
----------------------------------------------------------------

Airlie Beach: median price: $370,000......12 mth growth: minus 43.1% ....annual grth over 10 yrs: 2.1%............11 sales.

Bowen:..$363,000..........12 mth grth: minus .3%....10 yr Gth: 19.4%....157 sales

Cannonvale:..$480,000....12 mth gth: 2.8%....10 yr Gth: 13.1%......67 sales.

Proserpine:..$326,000.......12 mth gth: minus 4.1%.....10yrGth: 15.7%.....59 sales.

hi all
anyone live in the area that can give me some information from on the ground there.
need to know if there is a person live in or around airlie beach
thanks in advance

Well, love Airlie Beach, terrific stepping stone town for the Whitsunday Paradise Sweet Heaven Islands.

The food is fine, the people divine...the ocean and islands sublime.

I have some figures from 2003, 2006 and 2009:

Sourced from older copies of Australian Property Investor. So, for what the figures are worth they are a little mismatch humpty dumpty, residex, then property monitors..figures are all over the place.

Proserpine: median was $110,000... capital growth last 12 mths minus .25% .......annual sales 86

Bowen: median $97,000..... 12 mths CG 11.08%......ann sales 240

Ayr:...$101,000........11.30%.........96
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ayr: median $130,000...........12 mths Growth 11.5%.......45 sold

Airlie Beach: $421,000..........5.25%............................54 sold

Bowen:$272,000................37.37%..........................25 sold
----------------------------------------------------------------

Airlie Beach: median price: $370,000......12 mth growth: minus 43.1% ....annual grth over 10 yrs: 2.1%............11 sales.

Bowen:..$363,000..........12 mth grth: minus .3%....10 yr Gth: 19.4%....157 sales

Cannonvale:..$480,000....12 mth gth: 2.8%....10 yr Gth: 13.1%......67 sales.

Proserpine:..$326,000.......12 mth gth: minus 4.1%.....10yrGth: 15.7%.....59 sales.

Any chance on an update on this area? Just starting to look into Bowen as a possible IP/future retirement location and there doesn't seem to be a lot of recent info. Which area do you personally think is nicer, Bowen or Cannonvale? Any details would be welcome from anyone who has any opinions on these areas.

Back