Aluminium window repairs

Hi All,

My parents IP, built 1980, has good quality glass windows in aluminum frames.

Problem: The nylon wheels under the sliding portion of glass would have stopped rolling and have worn out, so the aluminium piece under the sliding portion of (heavy) glass has eaten away the track, so the windows dont slide easily, jump around, aluminium shavings everywhere.

Dilemma:
Windows these days are made from light weight crap quality glass (almost perspex like). It would be a shame to throw the good glass thats perfect from yesteryear.

Solution wanted: Could anyone guide me to someone who may be able to extract these windows (about 6), use the glass and put new frames and new track (basically replace all the alimunium) and re-install them.

Im sure the above would be a common occuring problem, and most would throw out the old, and install new windows but I really cant bring myself to throw out real glass and replace it with todays plastic glass.

Looking forward to hearing soem responses.

Talk about approaching a job from the wrong angle.

There are people who will come out and replace the roller on the window and will even replace the felt strips that run around the inside of the window.

They will also sand the aluminum track to remove any burs and damage on the track. Make sure they do this or else the damaged track will quickly wear away the new rollers.

Just on new windows. You can get any quality glass you want inserted in a new window it's just a matter of how much you want to pay.

Irrespective, if you were to find someone willing to build new windows using your old glass the likelihood is that they would charge an arm and a leg as it's not what they are setup to do. The other problem with using the old glass is that the new aluminum extrusions would have different dimensions and you can't use that same sized old glass and end up with a window that would fit.

Cheers

Last edited:
What Handyandy said.

The glass used these days is far from crap quality light weight rubbish (6mm float is not allowed in the larger windows of today or in 2nd stories). You can get some extreamly good IGU's if you wish to pay for them.

Do some reasearch with local window guys who can replace the rollers as said above. Or you get new windows, the glass you have is either thick float glass or laminate, nothing special at all about it.

The track is totally destroyed, the metal ridge that protrudes up for about half a cm has been worn down so its completely flush. I guess i should ring half a dozen places to see if there is some solution.

The track is totally destroyed, the metal ridge that protrudes up for about half a cm has been worn down so its completely flush. I guess i should ring half a dozen places to see if there is some solution.

They can insert new tracks. Certainly in the case of sliding doors. Never discussed this with any of the tradies re a window.

Cheers

There are also new tracks that can slip over the existing buggered tracks. Also, make sure you only ever use the steel rollers on sliding doors (with the small pop in rollers). Stay away from the nylon rollers, they don't last.

see: www.cowdroy.com.au

Thanks for the replies so far.

Units4me I would certainly be interested to hear from you about tracks going over existing tracks.

Im sure if the track is fixed so it has the ridges, and is all smooth, then the corresponding tyres to the track can be appropriately mounted under the sliding section of glass to roll along the new track. The 3 other sides of the window are all fine. Its just the track, and the underside of the sliding window (ie the rollers).

I looked at the website you suggested, it seems to be more for doors, not windows.

If there are any companies or leads in Sydney people could direct me to, i would be most appreciative.

Thanks ALL

Thank you handyandy.... that is of great assistance i will call up those 2 places and see how i go. I am usually quite good with google, but i was searching under windows, not doors.

Cheers,
Peter

i think replacing it would be cheaper than taking the glass out and getting the profiles and frames redone.

glass is glass as long as they're certified to AS1288 that is sufficient.

i think replacing it would be cheaper than taking the glass out and getting the profiles and frames redone.

glass is glass as long as they're certified to AS1288 that is sufficient.

Yep, il call those guys to replace the track, then get new rollers to marry up with that track... il post on here how i go.

Yep, il call those guys to replace the track, then get new rollers to marry up with that track... il post on here how i go.

The roller type you need is actually determined by the the type already in the window and the profile of the aluminum they used for the window.

Sometimes it very tricky to actually pull the rollers out. Obviously, if you are lucky it can be a simple pull out and slip in. As yet all we have ever struck are the difficult ones.

We have had to pull the whole window surrounds apart (screw the bottom rails out) to get to the roller carriage.

We have also had to grind the actual screw that holds the bottom rail of the window to the side rails. In that case we had to use a really thin grinder blade that fitted down into the bottom rail.

We actually watch a couple or pro's do some jobs to get the hints as how to go about it.

Here are some Youtube's to get you thinking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbD-lapqDeM&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgprrf93CtE&feature=related

No doubt you can find an example that matched your doors and windows.

Cheers

One thing you might want to think about is that your windows most likely aren't safety glass if they are that old.

If you are doing window work it might actually be a good idea to replace them to modern safety glass.

Thank you handyandy!!

Westminster, thanks for your suggestion, however not keen on safety glass. Wanting to keep original windows unless i have no option.

Back