America and its guns

They never learn.

Here in Aust the few ranges I have been to beginners had their guns chained in such a way that they could only be fired downrange while still being able to move them around..

Use some common sense and it would be safe for the kid to firing the uzi whether or not you agree they should be.

Guns are absolutely ridiculous except for law enforcement, security etc

you see all those people "protecting themselves and their family"

to only end up shooting eachother or scaring the crap out of your family and friends

its like those doomsayers, who have bunkers, food supplies, guns, bombs, regular training, drills, practice runs for something that wont happen but at what cost?

absolutely ridiculous, im glad I live in this country

The instructor needs to be nominated for a Darwin Award. I'm all about guns. If we had a gun culture here like in the U.S., I'd own a bunch of guns.

I'm glad we haven't imported the US gun culture.

To be fair, guns are pretty useful for shooting vermin and quite a lot of fun on the farm/range.

Fortunately the rules here in straya on storage of weapons (if people follow them) make them only marginally useful for those seeking one primarily for self defence.

I'm glad we haven't imported the US gun culture.

To be fair, guns are pretty useful for shooting vermin and quite a lot of fun on the farm/range.

Fortunately the rules here in straya on storage of weapons (if people follow them) make them only marginally useful for those seeking one primarily for self defence.

I wouldn't say it would be importing gun culture in Australia, but reviving it. Australia has had a *long* history of gun ownership and usage, and only dampened down in recent history.

With regards to the incident from the OP's post, the instructor failed in so many factors, I'm glad to see he was only person injured - it's horrible for that poor girl to have to live with however.

I wouldn't say it would be importing gun culture in Australia, but reviving it. Australia has had a *long* history of gun ownership and usage, and only dampened down in recent history.

With regards to the incident from the OP's post, the instructor failed in so many factors, I'm glad to see he was only person injured - it's horrible for that poor girl to have to live with however.

Country folk probably have a different view of gun culture... I don't remember much fuss about guns, they were just a part of being in a rural community. You'd go out and shoot a few rabbits, the odd fox, and if you were lucky you'd bag a feral pig. I don't know anyone who thought guns were for primarily for self defence like the fringe dwellers do in the US.

As for OP topic, I can't fathom why a parent would think it's OK for their 9yo to be using an Uzi on a range, I'm paranoid about my own kids using a relatively measly .22 under my supervision.

to only end up shooting eachother or scaring the crap out of your family and friends

Absolutely agree. I'm glad I live in Australia. The gun lobby is too strong in the States.

Americans think freedom is the right to own/carry your own gun... For self defence?!?!

Australians know freedom is the ability to walk down the street knowing you don't need a gun for self defence.

So glad I live here :)

The instructor needs to be nominated for a Darwin Award. I'm all about guns. If we had a gun culture here like in the U.S., I'd own a bunch of guns.
If we had a gun culture here in Aus, there would be a lot more Port Arthur and Hoddle st type incidents.

There is absolutely no need for a gun in your life whatsoever, unless you are on a farm and need to put down sick/injured livestock, and/or pests that are damaging the farm in certain ways.

The mindset that you need to have a gun to protect yourself and family is ridiculous...

Almost noone ever uses their gun in the USA to protect themselves from a home invasion or personal attack by an unknown intruder/robbery etc - which is the main mindset behind owning a gun from my observation..

Once you give folks access to guns; deaths are not far behind - either accidental or deliberate.

And we have enough deaths already without them.

Last edited:
I'm glad we don't have a significant gun culture here because I do worry we'd have more mass shootings or even just more drunks pulling out guns during a pub altercation on a Friday night.

Then there's all the innocent accidental shootings like this 9 year shooting her range instructor. And how many kids have woken up in the middle of night, gone to the kitchen to get a glass of water and have been mistaken by burglars by their parents?

I do wonder why Canada, a country with very lax gun control and a high rate of gun ownership doesn't seem to have the same gun problems as the USA.

Maybe it is more of a cultural problem than a gun problem?

Either way, I'd rather not test the waters to see if we'd suffer the same cultural ailments as the USA with looser gun laws. I've met to many prickly types who I wouldn't trust with a gun as well as too many clumsy types.

I have just added this to my now 3 favourite gun stories of all time from good old USofA. The other two are the cop called to a general store hold up. Newsmen arrive to cover the saga, complete with the soundman holding a mike on a stick. Guess who gets it? Perp (note the americanisation) runs from the store, cop follows him with the gun firing as he goes. Soundman has a bullet proof vest on, but as he holds the fluffy mike up in the air, the bullet goes in under his armpit and down into his chest, killing him instantly. Best part of the story, the perp only had a capgun!
The other one is the wife who throws a surprise party for her (on duty) cop husband. Phones him and says can you come home instantly. Cop arrives to find the whole house in darkness and as he enters the dark loungeroom, they all switch on the lights and yell "surprise". He shoots quite a few of them before his brain catches up with his trigger finger
Watch Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine for the whole american psychy on guns. Evidently the news team only search out violent incidents with black people to show every night, whilst Canada with as many guns, tells nice news stories about speed humps being installed. USofA really ramps up a fear of black guys.

Years ago I worked with a guy really into guns
Really nice guy, had a license, liked to go shooting and very responsible, in his mid 50's

He said when you have a gun in your hand you'll feel power and a sense of invincibilit
invincibility

So one day he offered to take all of us to the shooting range

I tried a standard small gun (don't know what it was)
Then tried a rifle
And then finally tried an automatic

Must admit I was so bored out of my brain, I would have fallen asleep had it not been so noisy

And I got none of this feeling of power or confidence

Must be only for a certain type of person

If we had a gun culture here in Aus, there would be a lot more Port Arthur and Hoddle st type incidents.

Once you give folks access to guns; deaths are not far behind - either accidental or deliberate.

Not necessarily. There are a number of countries with a gun culture that are nowhere near as violent as the U.S. Switzerland comes to mind. The Nordic countries as well, I believe.

Not necessarily. There are a number of countries with a gun culture that are nowhere near as violent as the U.S. Switzerland comes to mind. The Nordic countries as well, I believe.

Perhaps we wouldn't be in the same position as the USA, but there's no denying the results of gun control. Compare the number of mass shootings prior to and since gun reform. What about the number of child deaths and injurys from kids 'playing' with guns?

Primary producers often have legitimate reasons for owning firearms. I've got no problem for sporting use (although I don't really understand why people like to kill ducks).

Semi automatic and fully automatic weapons have no legitimate use at all outside of the military and law enforcement. Pistols are in the same category with the exception of sporting use at a firing range. These types of weapons only have one practical application, which is shooting other people and thus have no place in general circulation.

My father is a primary producer who owns firearms and has had legitimate use for those firearms. I've never seen any reason to own a firearm myself or even hold a firearms license.

Perhaps we wouldn't be in the same position as the USA, but there's no denying the results of gun control. Compare the number of mass shootings prior to and since gun reform. What about the number of child deaths and injurys from kids 'playing' with guns?

Hi Peter, in my opinion, I think it'd be better to look at the numbers from said countries, rather than speculate.

I lived in Switzerland for 10 years, males under 35 must have a gun at home by law. Although crime is very low, domestic violence and suicide have much higher fatality rates than other European countries due to gun ownership.

Back