American Affiliate program??

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knows, or can point me to information on how I can have an American affiliate program/s on my web site when I am located in Australia? How could this work? I’m sort of stumped.

Any help or comments would be really appreciated

Thanks,
Panda

Last edited:
Panda said:
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knows, or can point me to information on how I can have an American affiliate program/s on my web site when I am located in Australia? How could this work? I’m sort of stumped.

Any help or comments would be really appreciated

Thanks,
Panda

You can sign up for Google's Adsense program here : http://www.google.com/adsense

Or you can sign up for Amazon's affiliate program here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=gw_bt_as/103-6247505-2403821?node=3435371

There's others.. but I've only used those two.. there's a whole science behind making it work that is fascinating to explore.

Hi Duncan,
Thanks fo the info.

I started to sign up to one affiliate that I was interested in and they wanted a social security number.

I just went off to the links that you provided and I noticed that they have a drop down for you to be able to select your country. So that works ok. Do you know if I can be a part of any American affiliate as apposed to an international organisation such as Google, Amazon etc.

Cheers,
Panda

Panda,

Why not get a .com domain and a US bank account.

Who would know? :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

PS: You may be able to be a member of some, but others you cannot. It depends on their legal position.

Well, the site is an informational site. Its not online at this time, however, I have the domain name (.com) and the hosting (US based server) and I have the full site developed on my development environment. It’s still lacking a little content but its close to ready to go. I made it a .com as allot of the information and audience is US based + the domain I wanted was not available in AU. Any way getting off the subject...

The site is more an interest area that I have, but I thought I might as well put some affiliates onto the site as 1. I could (hopefully) make some money out of it to help recoup my costs and 2. it would actually be helpful to the site I think.

So before I go live I wanted to sort out which affiliates I would go with. I compiled a short list and then started going through one of the application forms just to see what information they want so I could sort it before hand.

The first affiliate asked for a social security number and it was a required field so I could not go forward with out one. I also read somewhere that you need a social security number for others. I sent an email to them but got no response. I've also posted QS on webmaster forums but to no avail as yet.

So I suppose really im asking,
- Can an Aussie sign up to smaller US affiliate type companies? Has anyone done it and how did they go about it?
- Do I need a Social Security Number?
- Maybe I should try to open a bank account in the US, but I thought that this might be overkill, but then maybe not??? not sure.

All I really want to do is have some US affiliates on a US based site.

If you can offer any information that would be a great help.

Thanks,
Panda.

Panda said:
- Can an Aussie sign up to smaller US affiliate type companies? Has anyone done it and how did they go about it?
- Do I need a Social Security Number?
- Maybe I should try to open a bank account in the US, but I thought that this might be overkill, but then maybe not??? not sure.

I've only signed up with Google and Amazon so cant speak for the others.

Hi Panda
Your question is one of those "it depends" type of questions!
There are some programmes that you will be able to join, others you won't.
Probably your best approach is to look at some of the bigger affiliate groups - these are sites where heaps of companies register and then the affiliate group handles all the commissions etc. It will probably be more efficient than trying to target companies one by one.
I'm not sure what your site is about, but you could try Clickbank (www.clickbank.com), Commission Junction (www.cj.com) or Clix Galore (www.clixgalore.com) as a starting point.
There are still programmes within these groups that will reject you if you're not based in the US, but at least it's quicker than searching the companies out individually.

Thanks Lissy,
I will check out these sites. Why would I NOT be able to join? What does it depend on? Is it because of the Social Security number issue?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,
Panda

Also, just keep in mind that a lot of affiliate programs insist on paying with a cheque only.

Which can turn out to be a bit of a bother as a lot of banks charge around $10 to cash a US cheque and they have 28 days clearance. Not much fun if you get a cheque for $5 and it costs you $10 to cash. :)

Ruby

Panda
I don't know why certain companies won't deal with overseas people despite being in an affiliate group like commission junction. Personally I thought the whole idea of groups like that is to make it easier for companies to widen their affiliate base.
Still, that's the way it is.

Back