Andrew Johns. Drugs, Oh dear.

One of my heros gets done for an ecstasy pill in London.

Turns out he's been taking recreational drugs for years. Oh dear. I reckon he has blown a few million dollars in endorsment and TV contract income in the next decade.

On the footy show, I thought he was going to continue with the ridiculous claim that someone put the pill in his pocket. Instead he comes out and admits it all..

It's all bad, especially for his young fans. And the Knights are getting the wooden spoon.

See ya's.

i object to the term "recreational drugs"; it implies that it's almost OK to take them.

As far as Joey goes (and any other football player for that matter), he's nothing more than an overpaid yobbo.

I feel for his young fans, he's let them all down like a lead balloon.

He's blown his career sky high.

Unfortunately the messages this whole episode sends to our kids are
1) you can take drugs and still be a champion sportsman
2) just don't get caught, getting caught that is the bad thing, not the drug taking

As far as Joey goes (and any other football player for that matter), he's nothing more than an overpaid yobbo.
Don't know about ALL players being yobbos, some are quite the opposite.

Unfortunately though, I think "recreational drug" use is a LOT more common use than the general public would be aware of. That goes for a few of the football codes, not just league.

Regards
Marty

I believe he is at a huge turning point in his life....(by now telling the truth) and hopefully taking his responsibility for his actions and get help where needed.

Wish him all the best for the road ahead, life can be a far tougher game than rugby.

Yep, its all about not getting caught, isnt it!

Would really like to see a high profile player (from any type of footy) voluntarily put themselves into rehab BEFORE they got caught! They would be a real hero in my eyes!

image how good a player he could've been if it hadn't been for the alchol and drugs!

i blame the "hero" system. you can't take an impressionable young 17-18 year old, put them on a pedestal, pay them a fortune, not supply any "life" support system and expect them to not fall into the traps of drugs and drink.

however, i am pleased he didn't go into denial ...

I'm with JoannaK on this one. And I also strongly object to the use of the word "hero" in connection with sportspeople - these people are NOT heroes. What is heroic about Joey's pathetic excuse that someone slipped it into his pocket?? What unbelievable rubbish!!!

But, as our obsession and lizzie have said, at least he told the truth fairly quickly ... unlike others.

Cheers
LynnH

hi all
I think that there are a couple of things here
1. mr johns or anyone else that takes drugs its there choice
and if the get caught or not is not my call
but you do have to stand up and be counted
and I think thats what he was doing
he hasn't said its right and if he can get help thats up to him.
I have had alot to do with nsw gaols and have seen whats in them
and alot of those come from middle australian family's so don't shoot the messanger
shoot the message.
he had
as his brother said made it no secret to his family and friends and this is the crucks of the problem.
education is the only way to save the third world and drug takers
and not when they are 18 or 35
but at 4 or 5
show me a leader at 5 and I will show you the next world leader.
explain to a child what a panadol is and the effects of even alcohol.
and bring your kids up to understand what is right and whats not.
and yes you won't get everyone
but its the best you are going to get.
mr johns has not changed in my view at all.
look at the speck in your own eye
before looking for the plank in the others.
I don't condone his action nor defend them
but I don't judge them either.
he has his life to live and will need the help he can get as do alot of other people.
I remeber a very good saying
a man is not judge on the size of his bank balance
but the size and strengh of his heart
and I think in the area he has shown his abilty to perform.
we all have our issues to get over in life
he has his
and if he wishs that to be public thats his choice.
taking a high moral ground is great but for me I take the lower line and try as best I can to educate on all addictions.
gambling addiction, thru the chinese, arab and european communities,
drinking thru indiginous and non indiginous communities
and drugs
are killing thousand of fellow australians
so mr johns issue pales into very insignificants compare to those.
he could take up those flags and rally the troops to defeat any one of them.
and all could be defeated
if the money was put into educate at the 4 and 5 year olds.
like kindy clinics to educate the kids to educate there peers.
my .002

OK I'll bite..........

Who exactly is Andrew Johns?

Personally I'd be more worried about the civil liberties put through the mincer that have led to the whole issue.

I think the terrorists have well and truely won.........

ciao

Nor

I'm with JoannaK on this one. And I also strongly object to the use of the word "hero" in connection with sportspeople - these people are NOT heroes. What is heroic about Joey's pathetic excuse that someone slipped it into his pocket?? What unbelievable rubbish!!!

But, as our obsession and lizzie have said, at least he told the truth fairly quickly ... unlike others.

Cheers
LynnH

Yes, I do agree with you that in their own right, sportspeople are NOT heroes! I get so cross when they use that emotional music to show sportspeople as heroes - bah humbug!

However, if someone stood to risk a lot by confessing to something they had done which was wrong, but they confessed anyway because they realised they had made a bad mistake and wanted to stop others from doing so (and they had not simply been 'caught out') then I think that is very brave of them!

In this situation, he got caught, lied (pathetically) and then confessed.
Yeah, the pocket business was truly pathetic, wasn't it!

I thought what was just as pathetic was silly Willie Mason saying yesterday that he thought Johns had been 'set up'.

Johns' real problem is alcohol. I saw the drug things as a bit incidental - but more newsworthy. He would have been smashed at that place in London. He sort of alluded to the fact that he took drugs when he was smashed. I know I did when I was younger. I rarely took drugs when I was not drinking. It's disappointing that the alcohol issue was glossed over because footy players getting drunk is no longer news.

That's a bit harsh... You can't tar all with same brush.
Norwester said:
Personally I'd be more worried about the civil liberties put through the mincer that have led to the whole issue.
His civil liberties are out the window when you are talking about an illegal substance.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22339051-5001021,00.html
I believe him when he said that he did not know who put the E in his pocket... Have a look at the photo of him at the club & see if you think he know what he was doing?
Steve

Who exactly is Andrew Johns?
Nor

Andrew Johns was the Australian Rugby league team captain a few years ago. Was regarded as the best rugby league player in the world.

He was the equivalent to say, ah arh,..... I don't watch Assie rules, and don't know anyone who does. So I couldn't name a single player. So who's the best Aussie rules player in the world then? Opps, that's right Aussie rules is only played in Oz.

Lets just say Andrew Johns was equivalent to the best Aussie rules player then a few years ago.

See ya's.

But isnt Rugby league only played in Qld and NSW?;)

We dont have league in Adelaide so I may be wrong ;) but isnt Union was the only real International Rugby Code!

I would say rugby is the only true international rugby code.

However league is still played in New Zealand, England, France and a few other little spots, and it is the number 1 football code in Papua New Guinea.

See ya's.

Back