Andrew Johns. Drugs, Oh dear.

Thanks for that TC.

One of those no necked guys whose head just flows into his shoulders eh? must admit that's one game I've never quite figured out .........:confused:

Tend to agree with the above post, E is just so tame.........so tame in fact that I think it was only banned after some rave party deaths in the UK in the eighties. It's been around for years, the MDMA isn't the issue, more what it's cut with when they press the tablets - also dehydration and alcohol consumption are more significant contributing factors to incidents, particularly at rave parties.

Now if he'd had a bag of crystal meth in his pocket - that would have been something to write home about to mum about.........:eek:

And if he had been busted taking performance enhancing drugs....that would be an entirely different issue altogether.

ciao

Nor

I would say rugby is the only true international rugby code.

However league is still played in New Zealand, England, France and a few other little spots, and it is the number 1 football code in Papua New Guinea.
They love the league here in PNG! Nothing wrong with a bit of Rugby either... but not too much.
There is even a South Adelaide Rugby League team for you pushka:D
http://sabulldogs.tripod.com/
Steve

It's actually the clubs that are allowing this, they are the ones saying to the players that it's ok to do it. Look at Ben Cousins. If the clubs had a zero tolerance policy, then the players would be sacked and people will be discouraged from partaking, that's the way to deal with it if you want to stop it.

Having said that, I also think that society in general has this double standard that says some drugs are ok and others are not, just based on legality. I find this rediculous.

Alcohol is a lot more damaging drug than ecstacy, but the biggest health threat to us all at the moment is obesity. People sitting around on the couch eating big macs and drinking beer, telling Andrew Johns that he shouldn't be doing what he is doing. That's a laugh.

Something to think about though, you CAN be the best in your field and still have a drug habit.

You can be the best in any field but still have depression.

I'm not excusing the guy, he was a role model, a great athlete & did (& can) do a lot of good for young aussies - obese or not, athletic or not.

But depression is a serious condition, dont overlook that. To many young people (males have the highest suicide rate) die due to mental illness & depression. This just highlights the problem. Depression is not an excuse, not a lame brush off, it is serious- deadly so.
I remember an olympic gold medalist crying on the podium - not from joy, but from depression - they had achieved their goal & now had nothing to live for. That is real significant pain.

Rambada:
You can be the best in any field but still have depression.

Talking of:

*beyondblue Anxiety and Depression Awareness (ADA) Month - October 2007

Put ADA on your RADAR in October!

Anxiety and Depression Awareness (ADA) Month during October provides an opportunity for organisations and individuals to take part in activities to raise awareness of anxiety and depression and help reduce the associated stigma.*

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/

...and a little more specific for guys in football:

"AFL and beyondblue: tackling depression in young footballers

beyondblue and AFL Victoria have teamed up to raise awareness about depression among young footballers and inform them how to help a mate who may be experiencing a tough time.

AFL Victoria approached beyondblue to develop a program that would:

help players, coaches, club officials and families to spot signs that may indicate someone in the club is struggling
give people the skills to support a person experiencing depression
provide information on where help is available."

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?link_id=59.858

My view is that sports people make poor 'heroes' and role models per se.
They are born with a physical advantage over others, and are rewarded on the whole for that advantage alone. Doesn't matter what they do away from the field in general...

So they aren't subjected to the same selection pressures the majority are, in pusuit of work, reputation, and financial security. They never have to learn to discipline their minds, their tongues, their emotions....just a bit of body discipline. They never learn to develop the strength of character or insight required to not lose themselves after significant failure in life, let alone games....

So I repeat...sports people make poor role models....and it says so much about Australia that so many of us idolize sportspersons....it says we haven't got the maturity or brains to recognize that sport is play, and ultimately has nothing to do with real life.

Spectator sport is theatre. It has nothing to do with the real world profundity of finding a cure for cancer, or teaching kids how to become great engineers, accountants, managers so we can continue to advance modern society...

People that choose to make heroes out of sports people need to reflect deeply on what they prioritize in life.

And I've not got anything against sport....we all should get a good dose of it when younger....though with more of the attitude of being the best we can, rather than having to beat everyone else....

A father and mother that can go to work regularly, make the most of what they were given, develop strong character, and bring their kids up to be the best they can, are the real heroes. Those who overcome tremendous adversity in real life, not a footy field or bike race, are real heroes. Give me the uncelebrated anyday over some guy who has no idea how the rest of us have to get through life.

Andrew Johns has shown he is an adolescent in a man's body. He's no hero of mine.

It's actually the clubs that are allowing this, they are the ones saying to the players that it's ok to do it. Look at Ben Cousins. If the clubs had a zero tolerance policy, then the players would be sacked and people will be discouraged from partaking, that's the way to deal with it if you want to stop it.

Having said that, I also think that society in general has this double standard that says some drugs are ok and others are not, just based on legality. I find this rediculous.

Alcohol is a lot more damaging drug than ecstacy, but the biggest health threat to us all at the moment is obesity. People sitting around on the couch eating big macs and drinking beer, telling Andrew Johns that he shouldn't be doing what he is doing. That's a laugh.

Something to think about though, you CAN be the best in your field and still have a drug habit.

Problem with the drug problem in the AFL is that the AFL administration is hiding it. 3 strikes and your out? What a joke. No other code has that sort of policy.
Personally I think that the AFL are scared of the other codes, especially soccer who also have a zero tolerence. I heard of a soccer player in Europe who tested positive to cocaine and was banned. No silly 3 strikes then your out.

The AFL admin have to seriously do something about it rather than protect the "boys". Oh and I have seen various AFL footy players as high as kites when I used to go clubbing!

My view is that sports people make poor 'heroes' and role models per se.

Apart from the physical side they must also have a highly competitive (winner take all) nature, way beyond what we normally meet.

But the Cowboys have Matt and Brenton Bowen who have come from deprived backgrounds and have risen above that. Matt, I know, is a non-drinker and an excellent role model for all youngsters today, not only those from Hopevale and other such reserves.

Apart from the physical side they must also have a highly competitive (winner take all) nature, way beyond what we normally meet.

But the Cowboys have Matt and Brenton Bowen who have come from deprived backgrounds and have risen above that. Matt, I know, is a non-drinker and an excellent role model for all youngsters today, not only those from Hopevale and other such reserves.

I hope he keeps his head when all about him are losing theirs.
And I hope he is wise enough to direct his admirers to idolize the likes of Noel Pearson rather then a guy that can kick a ball around. Whenever I meet young aboriginal kids, they always seem to aspire to be professional footy players. I wonder how many achieve their dream, and what the ones that don't do instead....

Be nice when I travel OS to meet someone who knows Australia for it's artists, scientists, humanitarians etc.

All we export is sport culturewise

WW. Don't underestimate league and it's influence the north, the strait and PNG.

Just being good enough to join a team going ANYWHERE and enjoying the respect that the lads get when they hit town is a step up the ladder of self respect. Matty gives them a high aiming point.:)

Whenever I meet young aboriginal kids, they always seem to aspire to be professional footy players. I wonder how many achieve their dream, and what the ones that don't do instead....
A figure I heard was 0.2% of kids playing league will go on to play in the NRL... for every kid who makes it there are 499 who don't. Don't know if that is accurate or not though
Steve

SF,
rosemary, mint, and garlic lamb with roast vege in the oven here....and cab sav in the glasses....

Yo Yo has a point.....role models should model behaviour, actions, aspirations that all have a fair chance of emulating.....
not just the physical elite.

Look at Ben Cousins.
Speaking of which, now that he's in the news again...

Every_family.JPG

I gotta say, Andrew Johns did look genuinely embarrased for his drug taking being exposed, and he has since slinked away to god knows where, to ponder his stupidity and the few million dollars not coming his way now.

But this Cousins bloke! He seems so smug and such a smart ar$e. Yesterday with no shirt on, and today laughing at the cameras. This bloke has a big problem.

Back