Another Bathroom question

Hi All
Would like opinions, OK, back to trying to maximise space for my 3 unit/villa development, another option shower over bath. Will this effect resale, really not sure???

http://www.caroma.com.au/inspiration-gallery/bathroom-photos/small-bathrooms

Main bathrooms - some developers are getting rid of baths altogether. How many people really use baths these days. We have claw bath tub in main, never ever used it but perfect for washing my dogs as its deep, once the suckers get in, they can't get out, a real shame:p

A bath is a 'must have' for any 'family' oriented house/unit/townhouse. Kids have baths.

You will definitely have issues getting buyers if you don't have bathtubs in the main bathroom.

I agree with Scott No Mates. We're battling right this moment trying to fit in a bath AND a shower where we have had a shower over bath for many years.

If you can fit in both, do it. If not, the fallback position is shower over bath.

Of course, ask a local agent. This rule certainly seems true in any family area and/or family house. We've even had tenants decide against rentals without baths, because they have kids.

Yuppie flats or townhouses without the likelihood of a family buying could get away with it, but you will reduce your buying pool if you "should" have a bath and decide against it.

Thanks for comments, great.

I think the buyers will be in the main baby boomers downsizing.

Cheers, MTR

I know in other states showers over baths are common and I certainly grew up with one.

I'm doing shower over bath in the apartments but for the villas I have gone for separate shower and baths.

it's very important to have at least 1 bath in the property. I was surprised to be honest... not something I would have personally even thought about

Thanks for comments, great.

I think the buyers will be in the main baby boomers downsizing.

Cheers, MTR

I reckon if renting out I think your main market will be young couple or young families.
If selling I think they will be popular with the downsizers in the area but also the first home buyers and others in the area so you don't want to cater to just one sector of the market if you can help it.

I don't use the bath that often but would opt for a place with a bath over one without if they were comparible in other ways.

The only place I wouldn't put a bath would be a one bedroom unit if there wasn't room for a bath and shower. I would be very reluctant to buy a place with a shower over the bath only.

If you think your buyers would be downsizers then a shower over a bath would be a turnoff (for me anyway). Climbing into a bath is not fun in old age. But my mum is 77 and it doesn't worry her (but she's been in the same house for 50 years so used to it.

I don't use the bath that often but would opt for a place with a bath over one without if they were comparible in other ways.

The only place I wouldn't put a bath would be a one bedroom unit if there wasn't room for a bath and shower. I would be very reluctant to buy a place with a shower over the bath only.

If you think your buyers would be downsizers then a shower over a bath would be a turnoff (for me anyway). Climbing into a bath is not fun in old age. But my mum is 77 and it doesn't worry her (but she's been in the same house for 50 years so used to it.

that would only really be relevant if there was only 1 bathroom. being a 3x2 i assume there is an ensuite so having a bath over shower in guest bedroom wouldnt be the end of the world. for a single bathroom home i would be inclined to remove the bath, in fact i did that for 2 duplexes last year and made then 2x1s with 2 WCs instead

In my 2 bed flat I decided to ditch the bath and just have a shower. It isn't really a family home and the walk in shower just looks better. Just signed new tenants. Young couple, 2 incomes. Who is your target tenant for the property? Young families need a bath. School age kids can probably get by with a shower.

I personally looked at a very nice place, but passed over it as I knew we wanted kids soon and a bath was needed. Even without kids, sometimes a nice hot bubble bath with a wine is nice :D

If it's a 3x2 there's not a problem with shower over bath, but if it's a single bathroom and your target market is downsizers I don't think having the large step in would be particularly attractive. Of course rails can be installed to assist.

A large shower, say 1500 always seems to make people forget about the bath. We just finished a large townhouses, 320 sqm, no bath. It had three showers two of them large. The buyers never mentioned the lack of bath.

Back