Another Granny Flat question

Hi Guys,

I kno there are dozens of threads on Granny Flats and apologies if this question has been raised or answered previously.

I have a pretty good idea on setbacks but I was wondering if there is any specific rule on whether there is a minimum number of metres on the side of the primary house required to access the Granny Flat in the back?

As far as i know there isnt but you would want enough space to fit whatever machinery has to get back there to work. Need about 2.5 meters.

Excellent thanks for that. I believe my front property has a 3 metre access on the side so it sounds like it should be fine.

Also can anyone recommend any private certifiers?

There are many great mortgage brokers on this forum. Shahin (user name thefinanceshop) off the forums here just refinanced and got an approval for a new ip for us. I can highly recommend him!

There are many great mortgage brokers on this forum. Shahin (user name thefinanceshop) off the forums here just refinanced and got an approval for a new ip for us. I can highly recommend him!

I'll 2nd that, he just arranged finance for our Granny Flat.

Broker

Hiya

I will also highly recommend Shahin (Finance Shop); very professional, very efficient and very clever:p

A pleasure dealing with you, Shahin!:D

Thanks Guys. I have called Shahin and organised a face to face on Monday. He gave me some excellent advice.

Any recommendations for an Accountant?

Excellent thanks for that. I believe my front property has a 3 metre access on the side so it sounds like it should be fine.

I recommend a minimum of 1.5 meters for tenant access. This is enough to move furniture in and out as well.

But to answer your first question- there's no legal requirement for minimum widths for access to agranny flat, no. There are requirements for providing minimum landscaping and providing a dedicated open space for the granny flat but (strangely) nothing for pedestrian access.

Whis begs a very important question:
What if there's a fire? Do you have to jump the bloody fence (toss the kids over first of course!)? Do you knock on the back door of the main dwelling and pray someone's home to let you through?

You'd think the BCA has something to say about minimum access widths for granny flats...it is 'dual occ' as far as the BCA goes but the SEPP doesnt prescribe a minimum access-way or handle for a granny flat.

In reality and after literally hundreds of approvals, Ive never faced this issue in the real world BUT it isn't discussed in the legislation AT ALL.

Brazen.

Back