Anti-depressants - are they worth it?

Anti-depressants - are they worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • No - stay away from them

Votes: 31 41.9%

• Total voters
There is more AWARENESS of depression now, not necessarily more CASES of it. To say someone may admit to depression to be 'cool or trendy' shows you have no idea what you are talking about. As usual.

ha ha, you must be having a bad day, I make an observation and you try and tear me down over it, I know people like you, people who need to try and put other down to make them selves feel better, its pathetic and funny at the same time

It's not a label, it's an illness. It's not a self diagnosis, it's diagnosed by a GP / psychologist / psychiatrist.
once again, you fail to read, I know its an illness, ive known/know/met many many people who self diagnose. I spose im full of crap for coming in contact with people like these am I, Oh well, I guess if thats the best you can come up with, I wouldn't expect any better from someone like you

Is your girlfriend an expert? Has she done the six years at Uni to be a psychologist, or the medical degree to be a psychiatrist? I'm guessing no.
wrong again, yes, head of a psychiatric hospital ward

In other words, you have no idea what you are talking about. You have no understanding of the issue, yet you choose to label those with depression as trying to be 'trendy', they have just had a 'crappy day'.

Here's an idea. Unless you have some insight, or you actually know what you're on about, how about not commenting? Your comments are insulting to those with clinical depression, and to those who spend their working lives dealing with the mentally ill.

here is an idea, i suggest you shut your mouth, cos you look really stupid trying to make me look stupid, when its not working at all. And unless you have studied for 6 years I suggest you try and contribute something useful other then the usual dribble out of your trap, as its obvious you have no idea either, as any decent doctor or qualified one doesn't try and prove to the rest of the world how good they think they are when they have no idea in reality!

here is an idea, i suggest you shut your mouth, cos you look really stupid trying to make me look stupid, when its not working at all. And unless you have studied for 6 years I suggest you try and contribute something useful other then the usual dribble out of your trap, as its obvious you have no idea either, as any decent doctor or qualified one doesn't try and prove to the rest of the world how good they think they are when they have no idea in reality!

The OP talked about anti-depressants, and you talked about people saying they are depressed to be 'trendy or cool'. How is that helping the discussion? Please enlighten me.

You commented when you had no idea about depression, mental illness or, treatments. My post was in response to yours, just pointing out what a ******** you are.

Mate, I'm not trying to make you look stupid, you are doing a good enough job of that all by yourself.

I'm not trying to do anything other than telling the OP that if he/she has clinical depression, I don't think she'strying to be trendy or cool. I think he/she needs to see a professional.

ha ha, you must be having a bad day, I make an observation and you try and tear me down over it, I know people like you, people who need to try and put other down to make them selves feel better, its pathetic and funny at the same time

Because it was a stupid, insensitive, ignorant, boorish observation. It's not to make me feel better at all, it's to try and point out to you that your post was dumb. But it must just be because 'I'm having a bad day'.

Well it's easier to make that assumption than confront your own stupidity, I suppose.

Referring to my original thread:
"Im a little overwhelmed at the moment" http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71599
I'm wondering peoples thoughts on anti-depressants. Some have said "go see a doctor and get some pills" others have said to stay away from them. I've posted a poll, but I'm really interested in peoples comments.
Overwhelmed, I'm afraid I couldn't answer your poll question, the vote for or against the use of PRESCRIBED medication of any kind is not so simple that a mere "yes" or "no" answer will address. So too, should the "opinions" of others not be something taken to much to heart. You're dealing with a very serious illness and opinions on the illness itself will be reflected in their comments, based on their understanding of same. Either way, these opinions should not be used to influence taking presribed anti-depressants, that is irresponsible and thwart with danger!!!

There are many factors that MUST be taken into account before any doctor will prescribe medication, ie. your health (your medical history, heart or blood pressure, allergies, general fitness etc) it's not a clear cut decision and any responsible doctor worth his or her profession will do a thorough check before scribbling on and handing you a prescription note!!!

I haven't read any of the previous posts in this thread, though I will perhaps later, as I really don't want to get involved in peoples arguments for or against the use of anti-depressants; people will view this based on their experience and knowlege, or perhaps worse, out of sheer ignorance....either way, I'm more concerned with you, than I am with their opinions of a few little "happy pills".

Please PM me and we can chat. :)

(Besides, if it hadn't been for several CONCERNED posters on here, I'd still be buried in paperwork...they PMed me to come back to see if I could assist you, so damn it......LET ME ASSIST!!!) :D :p Just kidding...if you want to chat, I'm a PM away (in the interim it's back to the drawing table....brb) ;)

Because it was a stupid, insensitive, ignorant, boorish observation. It's not to make me feel better at all, it's to try and point out to you that your post was dumb. But it must just be because 'I'm having a bad day'.

Well it's easier to make that assumption than confront your own stupidity, I suppose.
Overwhelmed, though I understand your willingness (maybe even need for) people's feedback....

Whenever you raise a subject that hits a nerve so-to-speak, sensitive issues such as gender, religion, mental health etc arguments are almost a guarantee (as in the case of PM and Danc) :(

There is MERIT in both posters opinions (not the personal attack comments of course) but YOU (Overwhelmed) should take in neither, except for maybe the advice of Danc where he suggested you "see a professional". All the rest of the rest is but opinion that should be digested with nothing more than a warm glass of milk or hot chocolate before you turn in for the night!!! :eek:

Last edited:
i think where it went off the track with pm and danc is that one made the comment that there is a portion of society that find it easier to blame their "woes" on depression rather than making the effort to self-help ... so therefore they can mope around going "woe is me, i am depressed, everyone needs to do what i want."

whereas the other poster leapt on the assume that the first was saying "all people suffering depression ... " - which they weren't.

i think we all totally agree. true depression is usually a chemical imbalance illness within the brain that the sufferer has no control over and requires medical interference to rebalance and get back on track.

the other percentage of people who cry "oh poor me, my life is crap and i am depressed so i demand someone supply me a quick fix" as it's easier to pop a pill than actually turn your life around, are the one's that cause misconceptions and cynicism.

as for taking medication ... personally i would try every other path first - including dr, holistic, counselling, breaking down tasks etc and medication would be a last resort.

i think where it went off the track with pm and danc is that one made the comment that there is a portion of society that find it easier to blame their "woes" on depression rather than making the effort to self-help ... so therefore they can mope around going "woe is me, i am depressed, everyone needs to do what i want."

whereas the other poster leapt on the assume that the first was saying "all people suffering depression ... " - which they weren't.

i think we all totally agree. true depression is usually a chemical imbalance illness within the brain that the sufferer has no control over and requires medical interference to rebalance and get back on track.

the other percentage of people who cry "oh poor me, my life is crap and i am depressed so i demand someone supply me a quick fix" as it's easier to pop a pill than actually turn your life around, are the one's that cause misconceptions and cynicism.

as for taking medication ... personally i would try every other path first - including dr, holistic, counselling, breaking down tasks etc and medication would be a last resort.
Kudos...Well said Lizzie. ;)

A friend who is new to the IT consulting business said to me the other day that he lay awake all night worrying about a report he had to write. I told him that lying in bed worrying is a sign that you should get out of bed and get to work.

There have been times in my life where I've felt down, and on every occasion I've come through using exercise, healthy food and hard work. Good sleep and good sex help too.

well said lizzie as always, its good that some one around here can read properly and not take things personally, and go on a tyrade when they've made to be proven wrong

I find that a lot of people (like what is more and more common in todays society about not taking responsbiiity for your own actions and blaming others), just label themselves as above, and just willow in self pity or even think its cool or trendy.

I never said PM was saying "all people....". I just think his comments showed a lack of understanding and awareness of the issue, that's all.

look to be honest, my best friend and another good friend are claiming to be depressed, they take one or more of xanax, zoloft, valium, and one has been in rehab for alcoholism, my girlfriend is clinical nurse who works in a depression clinic, so I have seen most of hte side affects.

this is going to sound very insensitive, however, a few years ago, my weight was getting a bit too high, I was financially broke, i had a nice girlfriend (not the same one as current), I couldnt go out with friends due to the financial retstraints, and I felt like crap everyday. One day in my own self pity a friend of mine said to me "look, stop being a self pitying *****, get off your butt, join a gym, work your butt off and pay off your debts, none of us want to listen to your continual ********, if you can't handle reality go to the kerb and curl up and die, you got youtself into this mess, you get out of it!"

this was the wake up call I needed, I joined a gym, lost 20% of my bodyweight, paid off my debts, found new hobbies that were free/cheap, found ways to earn extra $$ here and have never looked back since.

i find that my friends who are always complaining and indulging in self pity and blaming other people and other medications for their problems arent doing themselves any good and arent getting better from within.

there are times at my lowest of lows that I didn't feel like getting up, hell I don't feel like getting up everyday now!, I must admit, i am teh grumpiest person in the morning (a few people have suggested depression, but I just accept that I dont function in the mornings), however, the knowledge of me staying in bed and wasting a perfectly good day was enough ammunition to get up and do something

OVERWHELMED: im not saying anti depressants are no good, but from my limited experience, there is nothing more powerful then power within you!! Naturally, ive never had a relative die of cancer before their time, or have a disabled child or have lost a limb or something extreme so I cant comment on those types of situations,

but feeling physically good about yourself can be 10 times better then any pill!

sorry if ive offeneded anyone!

Is there a theme here? :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with depression, it's just a brag about you losing weight and paying off debt. Well done, but what was the point, other than to toot your own trumpet? Did it help the OP at all? No, it probably made him/her feel worse. But as long as your doing ok, champ, who gives a bugger about anyone else?

Last edited:
Is there a theme here? :rolleyes:

dan - let it go. obviously what pm said pushed one of your buttons, that no one else finds offensive.

having the last word is not required on this forum :D

edit* p.s. "I" is the most used word in the english language ... because it is the only experience we have - what has happening/is happening to "I"

dan - let it go. obviously what pm said pushed one of your buttons, that no one else finds offensive.

Yes, I found his posts offensive and insensitive, and I wasn't the only one, either.

If you think they were ok, then that's your opinion and that's perfectly fine.

I must admit I too found PM's flippant attitude a little offensive. It's no wonder so many suffer in silence.
I didn't find anyone's comments offensive, but then I think it's because I didn't read them as such. As with all forms of written communication, the absence of expression (emotion) or at least the odd emoticon or two, can and often does give rise to misinterpretation and ultimately people getting their noses out of joint. At the end of the day, no one was hurt and we can all go back to living a happier existence outside the forum board. Which reminds me.....gotta get back to my builder, that extension is getting more expensive the longer I leave him to his own devices!!! :(

Well PM, when you have lost a close family member to Depression you will probably stop laughing and ridiculing those that display a little more maturity than your schoolboy attitude conveys...

Depression can lead down the path of suicide and that is absolutely no laughing matter. :mad:

Reactions: weg
Well PM, when you have lost a close family member to Depression you will probably stop laughing and ridiculing those that display a little more maturity than your schoolboy attitude conveys...

Depression can lead down the path of suicide and that is absolutely no laughing matter. :mad:

at which point did I laugh in a way that mocks the seriousness of depression or anyone truly affected by it? I made an observation , and I only ridiculed one idiot in particular. thats it

What I don't think some people here appreciate is that mild to moderate depression can spill over into the more dangerous psychotic type.

pennyk described intrusive suicidal thoughts which is the sort of dangerous territory the fragile mind can easily take someone.

Once there you're at risk - you don't want sunshine, exercise, nor consider the consequenses of your actions on others. If you haven't reached out for help before you're not necessarily going to do it then. Some of the reasons suicide survivors give for wanting to end their lives are NOT based on reality.

pennyk is very open and not ashamed to admit to getting depressed but many will live with it and do a wonderful job at hiding it's severity.

Especially where there is a history, both of an individual or within the family people should look out for signs. People should not have to feel ashamed about getting help and they shouldn't have to be made to feel they're copping out for taking life saving medication.

Not seeking help when it gets serious is like driving around without a seatbelt.

i think we all totally agree ... the problem is those multitudes who "claim" depression, who aren't, because it either gets them attention or they can't be bothered to take the steps that improve their life (losing weight, doing a training course etc) that are the problem.

and they are the people PM were talking about.

unfortunately these multitudes belittle the true serious nature of real clinical depression.

p.s. my best friends daughter suffers serious depression and another friend's brother suicided - so i don't take depression lightly ... but i feel it's a bit like labelling every hyper kid as an adhd and whacking them on meds without looking at the diet, nutrition and surroundings first

Back