Anti-depressants - are they worth it?

Anti-depressants - are they worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • No - stay away from them

Votes: 31 41.9%

• Total voters
for very severe depression ECT is used and is quite effective in most cases.

ECT today is not the bogeyman portrayed in movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

It is sometimes described as simply resetting the brain.

I have never had it. Wouldn't mind it sometimes. But I am told you shouldn't try it at home?

Depression is not stress, feeling down or overwhelmed when on it's own. It can be situational (Reactive Depression) but not always.

If you have some or all of these symptoms to any significant degree you should see your Doctor. When Depression hits, you usually can't go to the gym, take vitamins, change your attitude, etc, to fix it.

Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. A bleak outlook—nothing will ever get better and there’s nothing you can do to improve your situation.

Loss of interest in daily activities. No interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities, or sex. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure.

Appetite or weight changes. Significant weight loss or weight gain—a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month.

Sleep changes. Either insomnia, especially waking in the early hours of the morning, or oversleeping (also known as hypersomnia).

Irritability or restlessness. Feeling agitated, restless, or on edge. Your tolerance level is low; everything and everyone gets on your nerves.
Loss of energy. Feeling fatigued, sluggish, and physically drained. Your whole body may feel heavy, and even small tasks are exhausting or take longer to complete.

Self-loathing. Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.

Concentration problems. Trouble focusing, making decisions, or remembering things.

Unexplained aches and pains. An increase in physical complaints such as headaches, back pain, aching muscles, and stomach pain.

Crikey; that's me!

But, I have never entertained the idea of drugs to overcome the situation - other than alcohol! :D

(sip)

Positive mindest doesn't know the end.....

I don't know if this helps but I was given this advice.

Write on a piece of paper the following:

"I AM AN AMAZING PERSON LIVING AN AMAZING LIFE IN THIS AMAZING WORLD. EVERYDAY I ATTRACT ABUNDANCE AND PROSPERITY".

Below it write 3 minor adjustments that you will do everyday to help to improve your situation.

Then, print it out, hang it on your bathroom mirror, say it everyday and then act on it!

Start concentrating on the solutions to the problems rather than the problems themselves!
Be positive and remember that home is your family, your wife, your kids, not the house, not the physical possessions you have.
So even if you lost all your material possessions, your business, your job, but your family is in tact you would have succeeded in your life. You can always start again to build material wealth....find a job, basically start again.
Sometimes we are overwhelmed with all the challenges in life, and boy did I have a few, but once we realise that it won't be the end of our life and we see the end of the tunnel then we can learn on past mistakes and move foward....

P.S.
I know I will probably get the evangelistic approach comment once again...but what if it works?

I don't know if this helps but I was given this advice.

Write on a piece of paper the following:

"I AM AN AMAZING PERSON LIVING AN AMAZING LIFE IN THIS AMAZING WORLD. EVERYDAY I ATTRACT ABUNDANCE AND PROSPERITY".

Below it write 3 minor adjustments that you will do everyday to help to improve your situation.
P.S.
I know I will probably get the evangelistic approach comment once again...but what if it works?

The concept is right..ie you need to change your thoughts to change your emotions... but what you think has to also be "true" and believable. So, for most people with depression, your "mantra" is just too far from their experience/ feelings to be able to connect to it.

and the person with depression runs the risk of just "stuffing" down their emotions, which is likely how they got into the problem in the first place. So, something more realistic might be "no matter what I feel, I offer something unique in this world, and no matter how hard my life is at the moment, this time will pass and I will find the strength to endure".... or something like that. Its probably still too far beyond what a depressed person could believe...
Getting over depression is about taking baby steps but also being honest with your feelings.

to give a practical, real life example (apologies if I shared before... I did check quickly and couldnt find it earlier in the thread)...........
All my life, I had assumed that people didnt like me. Even my best friend.. I thought she was just my friend cause she felt sorry for me... its sad, I know! ;)
So, when I met new people, I was very reserved/ standoffish, cause whats the point in being friendly to someone who doesnt like me. As a consequence... people didnt like me! Vicious cycle. :eek:
In the middle of my "course" of counselling for depression, I did a business trip to the US, where I was going to be meeting lots of different people for the first time (both personal and work contexts). My counsellor and I decided to use this as an experiment. So, I tried to consciously think "the people I meet are going to like me", everytime I went into a new context. (it probably wasnt even quite so positive as that, but it gives you the idea). I was honestly amazed at the difference in my approach to meeting people, and their response to me. Just by changing my self-talk, I changed my behaviour and the response of the people around me. it was a great example to me of how changing something so simple could have a profound effect.

But I think the strength of it was that it was something I could honestly connect with... not just generic "power of positive thinking"

The concept is right..ie you need to change your thoughts to change your emotions... but what you think has to also be "true" and believable. So, for most people with depression, your "mantra" is just too far from their experience/ feelings to be able to connect to it.
Well said Penny, I think you expanded it well, there has to be a change, even small, followed by a belief.
Also, sometimes habits help to make that change and then perhaps the belief will come.
I had applied this to my weight loss and to end of our one business. It's not easy road though and I have someone close by who has bi-polar.
So from a thread it's hard to vote or comment not knowing the true situation.
To date nobody knows the true power of our minds....

She also consumed enough cocaine to kill a horse.

That's not solid evidence. Sure she did recreational drugs like most celebs in Hollywood, Lady Gaca even boasted about getting high on coke and writing "songs"... she wasn't on anti depressants at the time though, that's for sure.

Coke and heroin do kill many people but prescription drugs kill much more, actually more than traffic deaths combined. We are all scared about illegal drugs but the one we get from a nice pharmacy, well that's ok... the good doctor maybe made a small mistake :D

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/14/us/14florida.html

http://www.fairwarning.org/2011/09/drugs-cause-more-deaths-than-traffic-accidents-analysis-finds/

Coke and heroin do kill many people but prescription drugs kill much more, actually more than traffic deaths combined. We are all scared about illegal drugs but the one we get from a nice pharmacy, well that's ok... the good doctor maybe made a small mistake :D

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/14/us/14florida.html

http://www.fairwarning.org/2011/09/drugs-cause-more-deaths-than-traffic-accidents-analysis-finds/

Do you read your own links?

From the NYT:

“You have health care providers involved, you have doctor shoppers, and then there are crimes like robbing drug shipments,” said Jeff Beasley, a drug intelligence inspector for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which co-sponsored the study. “There is a multitude of ways to get these drugs, and that’s what makes things complicated.”

So the conclusion can be drawn that prescription drugs aren't being used as intended. Hardly the mistake of the 'nice pharmacy'or 'good doctor'. It's a misnomer to call them prescription drugs when people are buying them on the black market, without a prescription.

The Florida report analyzed 168,900 deaths statewide. Cocaine, heroin and all methamphetamines caused 989 deaths, it found, while legal opioids — strong painkillers in brand-name drugs like Vicodin and OxyContin — caused 2,328
Drugs with benzodiazepine, mainly depressants like Valium and Xanax, led to 743 deaths. Alcohol was the most commonly occurring drug, appearing in the bodies of 4,179 of the dead and judged the cause of death of 466

So cocaine and meth killed more people than anti-depressants, and was responsible for double the deaths caused by alcohol.

Oxycontin and hard pain killers are an issue, I agree. But how many of these deaths are caused by overdoses and black market purchases?

Would you still speak of manufactured illegal drugs in such a positive light if they were regulated and made by the "industrial complex"?

Do you read your own links?

From the NYT:

“You have health care providers involved, you have doctor shoppers, and then there are crimes like robbing drug shipments,” said Jeff Beasley, a drug intelligence inspector for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which co-sponsored the study. “There is a multitude of ways to get these drugs, and that’s what makes things complicated.”

So the conclusion can be drawn that prescription drugs aren't being used as intended. Hardly the mistake of the 'nice pharmacy'or 'good doctor'. It's a misnomer to call them prescription drugs when people are buying them on the black market, without a prescription.

The Florida report analyzed 168,900 deaths statewide. Cocaine, heroin and all methamphetamines caused 989 deaths, it found, while legal opioids — strong painkillers in brand-name drugs like Vicodin and OxyContin — caused 2,328
Drugs with benzodiazepine, mainly depressants like Valium and Xanax, led to 743 deaths. Alcohol was the most commonly occurring drug, appearing in the bodies of 4,179 of the dead and judged the cause of death of 466

So cocaine and meth killed more people than anti-depressants, and was responsible for double the deaths caused by alcohol.

Oxycontin and hard pain killers are an issue, I agree. But how many of these deaths are caused by overdoses and black market purchases?
Want my advice? Stay away from all drugs, legal or illegal.

Would you still speak of manufactured illegal drugs in such a positive light if they were regulated and made by the "industrial complex"?

Why but they already exist,
Ritalin is Cocaine.
Amphetamine is Dexamphetamine.
Oxycontine or Oxycodone is heroin.

There are much more varieties out there in the pharmacy.

All you need is to visit your local doctor or psychiatrist and you are half way there.

Stay away from that stuff.

I say this tongue-in-cheek and with respect to this valuable thread. Hope it doesn't offend anyone.:)

Statistics show that 25% of women are on medication for mental illness.

That’s bloody scary.........it means 75% are running around with no medication at all! :D

Amy

I say this tongue-in-cheek and with respect to this valuable thread. Hope it doesn't offend anyone.:)

Statistics show that 25% of women are on medication for mental illness.

That’s bloody scary.........it means 75% are running around with no medication at all! :D

Amy

I like it......Funny:)

Back