anti plain package smokes ads

Well it is bad for big tobbacco sure.

Should be good for the little guy making chop chop or importing illegally though.

I wonder what cig companies will compete on if they cannot compete on brand and image?

What's get me is the government, smoking kills adds etc.. If the government really gave two hoots they would make cigarettes illegal. Simple.

What's get me is the government, smoking kills adds etc.. If the government really gave two hoots they would make cigarettes illegal. Simple.

Yes, that has really worked well for marijuana, ice, speed, ecstasy etc etc etc hasn't it? Worked a treat for alcohol when it was tried in the good ol' USA as well...

Of course, never mind all those law abiding people currently legally addicted to nicotine you are now asking to be made criminals to maintain what they have been doing for decades... if they have managed to live that long of course!

Smoking is a disgusting habit I just can't stand. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke with a passion. But I'm totally against making any of this stuff illegal. Make people line up to get their olive-drab coloured "fix" courtesy of our government instead? How cool is that? Sounds like a perfect solution and one that should be commended to make this habit even less inviting than it so obviously is already. The behaviour of the industry only goes to show that we're on a winner here and they're dead scared that if it works here the idea would catch on over a global scale - that might hurt a bit in the long term!

And through legal taxation of the cigs the rest of us taxpayers also get some relief from those idiots who choose to still, of their own free will, flush away both their health and their wealth to feed their addiction.

Yes because that's all more important then saving someone's life! Who care's if they get cancer right? Who cares if tax players money goes towards hospitals where patients are in their because their smoking habits have given them cancer! Brilliant! Didn't say it be easy though.

And through legal taxation of the cigs the rest of us taxpayers also get some relief from those idiots who choose to still, of their own free will, flush away both their health and their wealth to feed their addiction.

I don't know if I define smoking as a choice to be honest. It's an addiction and a product which is specifically designed by tobacco companies to be highly addictive. How much choice do you have when you're addicted to something? Definitely an impaired choice at least! I think anyone who starts smoking now knowing the health implications is an absolute moron, but I'm not so judgmental of those who started smoking a long time ago. I really see them as victims.

But I agree it's best to have cigarettes legal. At least we can control what goes into them, how they're manufactured, taxation and who they're sold to.

I don't understand this whole argument about people importing unbranded, illegal cigarettes. I'm sure it isn't that difficult to counterfeit cigarette boxes if there is that much money in producing fake cigarettes!

hey - could be a big market in reusable cigarette box "cases". You know, one that you pop your unbranded box of ciggies into to make it look cool.

Make the cigarette companies squirm.

Make cigarettes legal and find an acceptable solution to the situation regarding e-cigarettes.

Half a dozen of my workmates are on these, working wonders - however they are illegal from what I can tell. The argument is they aren't Australian regulated and contain nicotine, therefore could have potential harms. Cynics argue the real reason is that tax is on tobacco, not nicotine.

Come on pollies, get this legalised so we can reduce the health care burden and give people better lives.

Maybe they should also consider placing a ban on sugar and white labeling donuts, big macs, soft drinks and the whole host of other sugary products that are making everyone as big as a beached whale and causing an even bigger strain on our public health resources.

Maybe they should also consider placing a ban on sugar and white labeling donuts, big macs, soft drinks and the whole host of other sugary products that are making everyone as big as a beached whale and causing an even bigger strain on our public health resources.

It's a totally different issue. You can eat sweets and take out and combine it with an otherwise healthy diet and exercise. But when you use cigarettes exactly in the way they are intended to be used they cause a massive amount of damage. They are specifically designed to be addictive so you can't consume them in moderation!

I don't know if I define smoking as a choice to be honest. It's an addiction and a product which is specifically designed by tobacco companies to be highly addictive.

so is junk food but you don't see government pushing for ad removal, plain packaging of food and 100% tax on it.

obesity is much bigger burden on society than smoking, drugs and alcohol combined.

That's the issue I have as well stranik. Its a double standard. Junk food is designed to also not be eaten in moderation similar to cigarettes. Many studies have shown the impact of junk food on serotonin And dopamine levels and it is why more people are getting fatter and fatter. Exercise more. Well given the amount of fat people down the gym I don't think this is doing much. Oh and eat more vegetables, well again doesn't seem to be doing much. Truth is food is addictive and agreed nothing is being done because it we have all have to be politically correct and say how beautiful big is. It isn't. Big Leads to increased risk for diabetes, stroke, cancer, sleep apnea and on and on. Big isn't beautiful it is dangerous.

Oh and wondering if I am a smoker. No. I have the occassional cigar but that is it. I just think it is hypocritical how much of a deal we make out of it when we happily fill our faces with fat and sugar laden products.

I certainly wouldn't put food in the same category as nicotine when it comes to addiction. Nicotine is a highly addictive substance that results in prolonged (many days) and severe withdrawl symptoms if the dose isn't maintained. Not the case at all with food.

Btw, it's the pharmaceuticals who seem to be making a big killing now as more and more people are finding themselves addicted to NRT.

physical addiction to nicotine passes very quickly
psychological habit remains for much longer

if you kill the habit first you will barely notice that you are not smoking anymore, it won't be part of your life.

If the release of neurochemicals have such a significant effect (insulin spikes can create cravings too, btw) then a person with a food addiction would be satisfied having a cup of oil and some sugar instead of a burger, or a few tablespoons of molasses instead of Mars Bar Cheesecake.

Food addiction of 'bad' foods is mostly psychological. Nicotine addiction is mostly physical.

physical addiction to nicotine passes very quickly
psychological habit remains for much longer

Nicotine withdrawl can take up to a week if going cold turkey or a few weeks on NRT (NRT doesn't actually take the withdrawl away - it draws it out :eek:). I think from memory the worst of the withdrawl symptoms are at around day 3.

if you kill the habit first you will barely notice that you are not smoking anymore, it won't be part of your life.

True. I think if people understood what was happening to their bodies and what to expect when giving up it would be easier (applies to all addictive substances).

Back