Any serious cooks out there to recommend some good cookware..?

Just adding my vote to those who voted for Le Creuset - first came across it in a holiday house we rented years ago and have been a huge fan ever since. As Pushka says, it cooks great curries and casseroles!

Cheers
LynnH

thanks everyone

same sort of response at the other forums... Le Creuset wins by a massive margin for what I need.

Now just a matter of deciding on which colour..:confused:

Harris you are probably aware of that but there is a fantastic Middle Eastern food shop on North Rd called "Oasis". They make one of the best Turkish bread around and their pitas are also fantastic. It looks more like a Juice Bar from the outside but do yourself a favor and go have a look if you've never been.

They also sell clay tagines and every spice and ingredients you need to cook up a storm.

Color.....my preference Red! I don't think food look good in blue :)

redsquash,

With pressure cooker you have to be "there" all the time. With thermo pot you are only in the kitchen for 10/15 mins. Thermo pot cooks in lower temp so preserves the flavour much better. You can think of it as a slow cooker but does not need electricity. The only energy it needs is the 10 mins or so on the stove at the begining ,to bring to boi evenly.

I have the 6litre Tiger brand. It continues to cook for hours not minutes.Yes you can over cook your veg in it it if you don't want them too soft but carrots, potatoes etc are OK.
For example to cook soup/broth with pork bones/ribs, carrots, potatoes, beetroot, peas, onion, I put all in the inner pot+water, bring to boil, put in salt, pepper to taste, skim the "dirty" froth etc , put lid on, wait for it to boil evenly for another minute or 2, then take it off the stove, into the outer pot.
That's it.
If i do this at night before bed I can have hot soup/casserole ready for me in the morning. If I cook in in the morning, after the initial 15 mins as I describe above, I can then put it in the car, go shopping for 5, 6 hrs and then drop by a friend's party in the afternoon/evening with my casserole still hot yummy ready to eat. This feature is unique.

Drawback is it does not cook "quickly" as the pressure cooker. And it is quite expensive, (in the high $200). I heard some cheaper brands may not keep the heat/cooking long / well as the Tiger.
Asian people particularly Chinese use this pot a lot coz the Chinese believe in the health benefit of drinking soup (they have so many different types of soup for different seasons, benefits etc).
Thanks for the info soyabean.
I am becoming more fascinated by this type of cooking particularly from a nutritional point
Where do you get your recipes? Do you time by trial and error? Can a crock-pot book be easily substituted if you need a recipe?
I am considering a 6 litre pot or an 8 litre.

Is there a rule of thumb you have in terms of cooking food normally compared to a thermo pot?

Would food tend to be luke warm after 10 hours?
Is it helpful to have a glass lid as I saw on another brand?
Thanks again

been there heaps of times for lunch

There is also a morroccon restaurant in Brunswick "La Paela" that have the best range of clay Tangines/ pots for sale.. its just the finding the whole range together that was becoming a problem... not anymore though !

Harris you are probably aware of that but there is a fantastic Middle Eastern food shop on North Rd called "Oasis". They make one of the best Turkish bread around and their pitas are also fantastic. It looks more like a Juice Bar from the outside but do yourself a favor and go have a look if you've never been.

They also sell clay tagines and every spice and ingredients you need to cook up a storm.

Color.....my preference Red! I don't think food look good in blue :)

thanks everyone

same sort of response at the other forums... Le Creuset wins by a massive margin for what I need.

Now just a matter of deciding on which colour..:confused:

Harris

There IS only one colour - RED! :D

Cheers
LynnH

P.S. Harris, if you do find a place that sells large tagines, could you please let me know! My largest one will only cater for a meal for 6 people.

Last edited:
Yep, mine is red too! It cooks faster, just like a red car!

Lynne, I have seen the tagines but I dont really understand them. How and what do they cook?

Pushka

LOL! How much faster??? :D

Tagines are used in Moroccan cooking, and can be used on the stovetop, over coals or in the oven. They produce dishes which are similar to stews or casseroles (the conical lid allows the food to steam and simmer slowly) except that they seem to have a more intense flavour and are simply out-of-this-world scrumptious!!! (The dish used to cook in and the food produced are both called 'tagines'). A casserole dish can be used instead of a tagine, but, IMHO, I think the tagine produces a better flavour.

Cheers
LynnH

Just adding my vote to Le Creuset. Hubby has had his casserole dish for over 20 years and it still looks fab and we use it a lot. Plus you get a workout by just lifting the bloody thing ;).

kaf

Ladies don't you think Harris should have us over to taste test a few dishes in his new RED Le Creuset set :D

I have heard that it takes Le Creuset 4 years of solid use over low flame to start cooking the perfect food..!

and I wouldn't want to have anything less than perfect for fellow forumites..!

so yeah.. anytime is good :D

I have heard that it takes Le Creuset 4 years of solid use over low flame to start cooking the perfect food..!

I think that is right. We bought one of those electrical pizza ovens (the portable kind, not a built in one, unfortunately) and the first few pizza's were OK, but I guess disappointing. Now it is black from use (originally it is a beige colour) and it cooks the perfect pizza. And I have also discovered Bazaar pizza bases - the best! Damn, now I am hungry.....:eek:

Lynne, will take a further look at those tagines!

any recipes for Thermo Pot??

Just purchased Thermo Pot on ebay - great deal, just no recipes. Has anyone got some hints for me how to prepare simple, quick vegetrian dishes? Thanks

Alrighty, That thermo pot sounds cool........but my vote is for good old stainless steel. You dont want the kind thats been hand rubbed by flaxen haired virgins, made from the same stuff the space shuttle is made out of, or with a heat "dot" so you know when the temp is perfect. If you cook a lot, you'll know anyway.

So my vote is for Profiline. It's pretty minimal, very commercial and available at a shop called Cuisine World in Melbourne, near the Vic market, in Exhibition st (I think).

I have not bought anything from them for a while, but in 2002, I got a 15 litre stock pot for around $120. It also has great fitting lids and a lifetime guarantee. 5 years on it still looks the business and gets used nearly every week. In fact we liked it so much we bought more Profiline brand saucepans.

I also have a shallow Le Chausser saucepan, in red, which also rocs, we use this for braising and slow cooking. We also have a massive Le Chausser Lasagne pan. Keep your eye on House when they have a sale. I have also found that Le Chausser is often cheaper then Le Crueset (spelling), but hey cast iron, is cast iron and enamel is enamel.

Also worth getting a good cast iron griddle pan for steaks or toasting bread, we have one of these and use it at least 5 times a week. After you build up a good bit of seasoning on it (you dont wash them with soap) the taste it gives steak is amazing. After 10 minutes on full whack on the gass cooktop the thing is near white hot, so nothing ever sticks and you get that great "crust" on steaks with a rare middle, my BBQ can't get hot enough to do this, make sure you have a good "externally ventialted" extractor, otherwise your house will get a bit smokey

Back