• Non smoker

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Ex smoker

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Quitting

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cold Turkey, smoked for 25 years plus.... what a waste..

435 days quit
17,439 cigs not smoked
$8719 saved

Computer program thats keeps my up to date on how i have progressed from the **** habit i had for so long..

Geoff

Hey as some of you know I am one of those silly people that smoked.

I have now give up for a week no patches cold turkey,so far so good.

I started smoking when I was 10.

Thought would be interesting to see how many smokers,ex smokers,non smokers,gving up etc are on somersoft.

Hope it goes well for you.

Never smoked, so myself and my older brother are the only non smokers in our family, youngest sister has given up. Extended family there are also a couple of non smokers, and couple on the bandwagon.

I started smoking when I was 10. .

When did you take up drinking? 8? The publican must have had a second glance before he served you a schooner.

Can't help you with the smoking, but I can't give up junk food. The misses has been off the smokes for over two years cold turkey. She still talks fondly of them, often more highly than me. From what I hear, it's those social ocassions like a beer while playing poker or a wine and cheese platter with the girls that gets you into trouble. You might need to have aggressively supportive friends.

smoked for 25 years "really scary when you say it like that"
hypnotherapy worked for me never looked back
total savings about 7k given up 3 years now
And to this day i still do not feel like a smoke
I hope that I will survive smoking fore so long with no health problembs when i am older

I actually had no idea of how much cigarettes cost. When I was at school (which was quite a long time ago now!!:eek:), my friends said they'd quit when ciggies got to $5 a packet. Not knowing anyone who smokes regularly, I kind of thought of them still being around that amount.
So, imagine my shock when I was reading about the new tax and the price of a packet being around $18. Incredible!! Thats certainly a good motivation to not start smoking. I guess when you already smoke, it kind of creeps up on you.
it made me think about some of the people I know who do smoke (most of them are relatively poor, (at least those in Australia) and smoking certainly keeps them there!!

packet being around $18.

Really ??!!:eek:

I could (if I smoked) buy two entire box's of smokes for less than that!!!

I dont smoke but have tried 'quitting' other habits which are far less addictive than smoking. So I do have sympathy for those who are genuinely trying.

Blacky

I could (if I smoked) buy two entire box's of smokes for less than that!!!

Ahh, yes the government does keep one eye on their tax V's an economy return flight to Bali from Perth at any rate.

It is getting very close now.

They raise it again and it will be cheaper to hit the sky and go on a weekend holiday to buy a carton.

I stopped 13 months ago now, and i smoked for 30 years, pack a day. Not touched one since. I am now hooked on nicabate lozenges instead. But i think it will be easier to kick thoe than the choofas.:)

started at 18..............dumb !

managed to quit 10 years later I was getting though a packet of rollies every 1.5 days

Nicotine in cigarette form is horribly addictive stuff.

I can have a ceegar or a nico chewie with no issues, but I know if I have just one cigarette im done for

ta
rolf

Started when 25 priced around 88/92 cents ? - I do remember stopping for around 3 months when smokes jumped to $1.00 a packet of 25.

Started back up at a Eurythmics concert in Canberra, trying to look cool around a chick who also smoked, back when you could smoke everywhere indoors... dam women LOL....

I don't miss them at all and feel sorry watching the guys at work, head out each morning tea for the nicotine hit.

Geoff

Last edited:
I stopped 13 months ago now, and i smoked for 30 years, pack a day. Not touched one since. I am now hooked on nicabate lozenges instead. But i think it will be easier to kick thoe than the choofas.:)

I heard on the radio the other night some doctor talking about nicotine gum (I think). His comment was that many people become addicted to this but in his opinion (medically backed up???) it is so much better than actually smoking.

I am fairly sure he said that if you cannot stop chewing this gum, that even chewing this stuff for the rest of your life is so much better than actually smoking.

I haven't stopped but I have cut down substantially. Now I only smoke after sex. Im down to a packet a day:)

Seriously though it is an aweful insidious addiction and I have struggled with it for years. I did stop in 2005 for 2 years then stupidly had one cigarette and proceeded next day to go out and bought a packet. 2 years later Im still smoking. I know the time has come again to stop.

Its very difficult for some.

Slingshot

Yes, it is hard. And the reason you have not given up is simple. You're addicted & the tobacco company is ruling your life. It was when I honestly realised that the fags were controlling me that I couldn't stand it anymore & had to stop. It took more than 1 go but that was about 16 years ago. Wow, that sounds like a long time.
Every smoker says they enjoy a smoke - der! Every heroin addict enjoys a hit. It's because the craving is akin to hitting your head against a wall & then taking the drug makes it stop. Smoking does not 'relax' you except in this same way of giving in to the addiction. It actually increases your heart rate immediately.

You may still be young enough to think that you're not giving yourself a future of painful disease. But your mind is playing tricks on you. Take the opportunity to take your life back - while you still can.

God I hate bloody smoking lectures , that last lines plenty !

Cheers

Indeed.

I think what I need is someone to follow me around and hit me over the head with a 4 x 2 every time I light one up.

I imagine this would work? :eek:

In truth I would be all for the government banning them alltogether. I could then just smoke when I went overseas if I wanted to but it would be a hell of a lot less than I do now. I imagine this would not help the budget surplus we are targetting for 2013 though?

Just give em time mate , it won't be long . Along with chipping us all and desexing the mongrels .

Just give em time mate , .

I reckon the 4 x 2 is more likely than them banning them. They get too much tax revenue in from the sale of them. They put the tax level at exactly the point they expect to raise the most revenue. As it is a fairly inelastic demand curve this can be pretty darn high.

I wish luck to anyone who can quit. The more who do the less I expect they will put up the tax as they know they are hitting that spot that causes demand to slip.

The government really are *****

On the desexing, thats a little too close to home for me to think about at the moment...

Back