Anyone Buying in Brisbane..

Two sons have just bought (and one son sold in order to buy again).

One bought pretty much for land value, but it was a private sale, so he did better than had it gone to market. The house has huge potential and cannot be removed, but he wants to renovate the house anyway.

Other son was hoping to buy and get first home owner stamp duty concession - free for under $500K and sliding scale up to $550K. He bought for $550K in Holland Park, so that was a $11,600 cost we didn't realise was going to hit him, but he would have gone ahead anyway.

He bought in a nice quiet street in an area where houses are being renovated. He got four bedrooms and a huge deck, asbestos came for no extra charge :D. Bathroom and kitchen required gutting, so we had those two rooms plus two small bedrooms, toilet and small storage room plus downstairs toilet) gutted by the experts (cost approx $5K perhaps a little more as he added the kitchen floor after the quote plus another small transition area to the work that were not quoted). I reckon it could go to $7K as the bathroom had double sheeting, hence extra dumping, extra time.

Plaster to the four rooms, toilet plus transition area (walls and ceiling) will cost $5K so really for an added $10K to $12K he has an asbestos free house (except the soffits).

To keep under $500K he would have had to buy on Newnham Road or Logan Road, or further out, and he wants to be closer. He could have bought in Curlewis Street, much sought after, but the noise from Logan Road and Holland Road negated the prestige of that street.

We were looking at houses between $490K and $600K and everything seemed to be "under contract". Several others we looked at were tiny and/or ugly and not able to be improved.

Interestingly, our double block that we are taking to BCC to try to get approval for four townhouses was of little interest to the one developer who took any interest in it a few months ago. If a seasoned developer isn't prepared to take it on, it makes me wonder if we are silly to even try to develop it ourselves, but that is our plan.

Trying to buy!

Hi Willair,

I have placed a number of offers on properties over the last 6 months but have had no luck securing that deal yet.
The properties have been at Lutwyche, Salisbury x2 , and Annerley.

I have missed out by 5k on 3 properties and the last one at Salisbury I actually presented the highest offer......but someone came in with a lower cash offer. Not sure how much lower...I must check this on price finder.

If you see something don't procrastinate like I did early this year. I stuffed up. A house came up at Lutwyche, corner block, clean site. It was listed for about 5 weeks so I rang up the agent to inspect it. No one else had made any inquiries about it.....until that day. Someone else seen the potential and had nailed the contract shut. They purchased for 545K, basic 30k reno and now rented for 540. Not to mention the 2x 3 story townhouses they are now building as well.
The one that got away.

I have mainly been searching blocks for that potential sub division or development potential...4 to 6 townhouses.

There is definitely increased activity in Brisbane. All the best with your search.
Cheers

Just buy what you can . Who cares about 10k

Brisbane is the cheapest capital in mainland australia

Yes even cheaper than Adelaide ( find me 600 - 700 Sqm blocks ?)

No Probs. That one was not flood affected.
This one is coming up tomorrow:
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-graceville-117252599
Great flood free street in a prestige area. The Allardyce street was UCV of 370k, this one is $410k.
I haven't looked at this one but sometimes I go on UCV of land as a rough guide- especially in older houses. This one is probably not character protected so it could be a knockdown. On UCV comparative values to last weeks auction this one tomorrow should fetch at least $571k. It's on at 10am so I may not be out of bed but if I am I'll report back. Doubt if I will be bidding and I expect competition will be stiff as everyone hunts for a highside bargain.

This one at 65 Verney Rd West went under hammer this morning. Bucketloads of registered bidders but in the end only about 3 then 2 serious bidders. Many were like me- if it were going anywhere in the 500s they would have grabbed it- an old 50s style asbestos walled weatherboard house.
The aspirational sorts were out in force wanting "in" on the prestige area. High drama and spirited bidding before it was knocked down to a gushing 30's female with spud (hubby on the phone I think) for $681k. Even the guy standing near me bidding for his mate on the phone-when not extolling the virtues of the new Range Rover- didn't get one bid in and was consoling his mate as they walked back to the car.
Maybe it is a buoyant market. It certainly is for deceased estates on the highside.
It reminded me a bit of a Public Trustee auction -where all of these opportunists (myself included) turn up hoping for a bargain but it ends up seller for more than most of us think it is worth.

^ im not that familiar with that particular area,

but in your eyes, was it overpriced? if the owner was going to do a reno and sell for a $150k profit, then they will be disappointed, or was it a buy and hold

I think the times of people assuming "deceased estate=bargain" is over, unless you get very lucky

^ im not that familiar with that particular area,

but in your eyes, was it overpriced? if the owner was going to do a reno and sell for a $150k profit, then they will be disappointed, or was it a buy and hold

I think the times of people assuming "deceased estate=bargain" is over, unless you get very lucky

Probably a buy and hold- maybe a knockdown after a few years. I think it was a bit overpriced given similar properties nearby that went in the same price range were better IMO. This may mean a property upturn but after last weeks auction in a good but not as good area where a big turn out and only a few bidders I think it was a case of competition for getting a toehold in a prestigious area (no matter what the price!)

This one at 65 Verney Rd West went under hammer this morning. Bucketloads of registered bidders but in the end only about 3 then 2 serious bidders. Many were like me- if it were going anywhere in the 500s they would have grabbed it- an old 50s style asbestos walled weatherboard house.
The aspirational sorts were out in force wanting "in" on the prestige area. High drama and spirited bidding before it was knocked down to a gushing 30's female with spud (hubby on the phone I think) for $681k. Even the guy standing near me bidding for his mate on the phone-when not extolling the virtues of the new Range Rover- didn't get one bid in and was consoling his mate as they walked back to the car.
Maybe it is a buoyant market. It certainly is for deceased estates on the highside.
It reminded me a bit of a Public Trustee auction -where all of these opportunists (myself included) turn up hoping for a bargain but it ends up seller for more than most of us think it is worth.

Did a Drive-by on this one, way too many gawkers for my liking :)
Got the feeling it was going to be overpriced and seems it was.
Nice area tho, it should do well in the long run.

It seems people are falling over themselves to buy a splitter block with a house down the middle.

A lot of the prices are more than what the 2 blocks woulb be worth individually.

All you are really getting is two crap blocks of 10 * 40??

Whats the history with the block sizes in brissy, those 405 blocks are ridiculous

I've just bought a splitter with two 'crap' 400sq blocks. After sliding the house across the block, renovating and selling it, the remaining block after all costs will cost me around 250K instead of the mid-high 300s blocks are currently selling for in this suburb.

wrapped with this bargin!

Some of you might remember I purchased this few months ago in Holland Park West. Amazing deal at 640 when land value is 630 on a massive block 943 sqm., And it can be subdivided into two lots. (plan is to develop it soon) Its in a prestigious area of HPW. Even if I wanted to sell it now it would make good profit but stupid to do that when can be developed. Currently renting 550 a week so good yield. Sorry yeah ok I had to show off a little hehe

http://www.homesales.com.au/sold/41-hockings-street/hs1313173.aspx

Back