Anyone else looking in Perth at the moment?

Ashfield is slated for some cosmetic changes around the station in the coming years, might be a good place to look for my next one...

We are looking for a reno. Hope to fix it up and put it back on the market within three months but it hasn't been easy at all. I haven't seen anything with sufficient margin in it to develop and sell again within this market. Frustrating!:rolleyes: Anyway, the search continues.

We are looking for a reno. Hope to fix it up and put it back on the market within three months but it hasn't been easy at all. I haven't seen anything with sufficient margin in it to develop and sell again within this market. Frustrating!:rolleyes: Anyway, the search continues.

May I ask what areas you are looking for a reno Tizzy? What do you normally do when the numbers don't stack up? Buy and hold or wait until they do? I assume you move in, reno, then sell to avoid CGT?

The boom and bust thing could be what brings Perth out of the doldrums first right?

Surely resources and mining will be the first thing to pick up after this GFC clears. Mines re-open, expansion plans unshelved, a huge ramp up in jobs and activity.

Either way, 5% further to drop, maybe so, that's negligible in a long term hold investment, you've gotta get a decent yield to minimise the loss. But opportunity cost of investing elsewhere? Well that's the million dollar question... where else? I guess I only know the Perth market in any detail and so find it hard to speculate on other areas, but I see Perth, QLD and NT leading us out of this period as global demand for resources resumes.

Always good to see a news article that backs up your theory, despite the fact that almost every day, one person or another is saying the perth housing market has recovered already.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wa-economy-will-soon-turn-the-corner-20090715-dldl.html

we live in a world of demand that is rapidly outstripping resources. if you are to be invested anywhere, I know where I would want to be placed.

well... the world population is expanding at an exponential rate and well beyond the rate of what the planet can sustain. if you look to the growth states of WA Qld and SA, they are blessed with pretty much everything. Compare this to say the UK, where intellect is probably the greatest asset. there are limited natural resources in all forms.

in a world gone mad where money is just printed and everyone is clamouring for food, water, energy, land etc, would you really choose to be anywhere else? And would you want your money invested anywhere else?

you don't have to buy woodside shares to get resources exposure - just look at how the darwin property market is reportedly going now.

current tenants at 330/pw

True, the returns arent "excellent" per say, but better than market returns at the moment. The market rent is about 270 for the same property.

The house itself was 436k, so a touch over 450k with fees and stamp duty etc. Market price is about 465k apparently.

So market yield is 3.02% gross, and you are receiving 3.93% gross.

What does a property worth $ 465,000.00 look like that commands a rent of $ 270 per week ??

So market yield is 3.02% gross, and you are receiving 3.93% gross.

What does a property worth $ 465,000.00 look like that commands a rent of $ 270 per week ??

Youre not from Perth are you? Rental yields arent all that hot here...

The house itself is nothing to write home about- 1960s 3 bed, falling apart a bit, but the land is close to 1000m2 duplex block 7km from the city. The house doesn't matter anyway, as I will be knocking it down in a couple of years and building two new ones on it.

My other 2-bed townhouse 20 years newer and worth $330k is getting $300pw, what do you think the rental should be?

Doesn't matter where I am or what I think the rental should be......IMO it only matters what someone is willing to consistently pay you as your tenant.

well... the world population is expanding at an exponential rate and well beyond the rate of what the planet can sustain. if you look to the growth states of WA Qld and SA, they are blessed with pretty much everything. Compare this to say the UK, where intellect is probably the greatest asset. there are limited natural resources in all forms.

in a world gone mad where money is just printed and everyone is clamouring for food, water, energy, land etc, would you really choose to be anywhere else? And would you want your money invested anywhere else?

you don't have to buy woodside shares to get resources exposure - just look at how the darwin property market is reportedly going now.

So your saying WA is a good place to invest. :cool: I'm not sure Perth will grow much though in the next couple of years. I'm wandering if I should be investing over east or wait a couple of years until Perth moves again.

Jebb,

TPFKAD...aka....Dazzling hails from WA...still living in Perth in believe....

He is just being his usual smart Alec self........;)

Again....he is angling on Commercial Property.

Youre not from Perth are you? Rental yields arent all that hot here...

The house itself is nothing to write home about- 1960s 3 bed, falling apart a bit, but the land is close to 1000m2 duplex block 7km from the city. The house doesn't matter anyway, as I will be knocking it down in a couple of years and building two new ones on it.

My other 2-bed townhouse 20 years newer and worth $330k is getting $300pw, what do you think the rental should be?

So your saying WA is a good place to invest. :cool: I'm not sure Perth will grow much though in the next couple of years. I'm wandering if I should be investing over east or wait a couple of years until Perth moves again.

I would say alot of people are wondering the same thing. If you think the market will be slow for a couple of years, maybe look for something with higher yield to minimise holding costs. That way you can afford a few years of no growth. If you need to invest for growth to gain equity to speed things up a bit, you could be struggling no matter where you invest. I'm sure there will be pockets in perth that will achieve that. If you can pick 'em, let me know.

I would say alot of people are wondering the same thing. If you think the market will be slow for a couple of years, maybe look for something with higher yield to minimise holding costs. That way you can afford a few years of no growth. If you need to invest for growth to gain equity to speed things up a bit, you could be struggling no matter where you invest. I'm sure there will be pockets in perth that will achieve that. If you can pick 'em, let me know.

the other thing i could do is buy well, buy below value and renovate to create the equity myself.

lol Leederville went up 29% or something in a year. Too bad I didnt buy there.

Know a friend, who has bought an IP in Langord. 800sqm block, 3 bed, 1 bath and rents at $350/week. He payed $365k all up.

Is that a good buy? Also, I always see Langford a nice area with loads of potential :)

Hi Gooram
From my personal experience this is not correct. I am from Perth but stopped buying when it peaked some years back. Have been investing in the Melb market, started 18 months ago, got a mini boom, was able to access $100,000 equity. Jumped in again 3 months ago purchasing within 15-20 km from Melb, development sites, to date have been able to access another $140,000 equity.

Auctions I believe are at 80% clearance rate. Lack of stock is driving prices up and now I can not find suitable properties due to the amount of developers/builders in the market who seem to be happy to pay the extra $ for suitable property. It reminds me of the good old days in Perth.

I am sure there are others who have been experiencing same scenario.
Cheers, MTR

Last edited:
Back