Anyone for Gold Prospecting?

HI,

Any others on this forum go gold prospecting?

I would be interested to hear what methods you use.

I would ask locations but guessing that if you have a good spot you’re not going to tell me where it is?? ha ha.

I find it sometimes good to get away from the office and enjoy a bit of nature, find a bit of gold, (real small amounts!) and come home all covered in dirt!

:D

I've been thinking about doing this sometime with my partner in the hills just for a little fun. We go for walks and such together already, so this might be something interesting to do one weekend.

How much is a decent (actually works) metal detector these days?

Panning for gold would be interesting too.

There is an Adelaide based company that makes gold detectors. I think they are called Minelab. http://www.minelab.com/

I don't know how reliable the machines are. The top of the line models, with accessories, cost around $6000. A lot of money to pay with no guarantee of a return unless you find something. There are cheaper machines available but i'm told they give off false negative signals.

Anyone had any experience with these machines?

HI,

Not used one myself, but you could always "rent" one for a few day's and give it a go.

I use a sluice myself and I can tell you that there is a lot (**LOT**) of dirt and rocks before you find any gold, its fun but does not pay well!! Lol.

Regards,

Heaps of places in Victoria if you ever venture afar, here is my favorite haunt:

http://www.visitmaryborough.com.au/Fossicking.htm

The largest alluvial gold nugget ever found, unearthed at Moliagul in February 1869.Weighing a massive 69kg, it was discovered by miners John Deason & Richard Oates, just 2.5cm below the surface.

Central Goldfields Shire is one of Australia's premier gold detecting regions and is famous for its alluvial gold. Of the 40 nuggets weighing over 18 kilograms recorded in Australia, 32 have been discovered in Central Victoria. Best known areas for the large number of nuggets found in the past are Dunolly, Moliagul, Rheola, Kingower and Wedderburn. Today, nuggets continue to be unearthed throughout this region.

Actually here is the Golden Triangle, (Victoria), great places to explore:

http://www.gold-net.com.au/maps1vicdetail.html

Incidently Stawell had good news on the gold front in the last week:

The operator of the Stawell Gold Mine says it has found promising new high-grade gold mineralisation in the area.

Canadian owned Northgate Minerals says the deposit is 1.5 kilometres from where the company is currently mining.

The company's Luc Guimond says it is now planned to step up surface drilling quickly to measure the extent of the deposit

"It's a pretty significant intercept, the grade is pretty strong averaging almost 14 grams per tonne which is pretty good," he said.

"So we are obviously going to follow up on that and put a few more ... holes in the vicinity to see if we can build on that first intercept that we've just recently hit."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/04/3056876.htm?site=news

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------eureka!

Plenty of good locations out there.

That said, does anyone have specific information about the best, most efficient detectors to find the nuggets? Preferably machines that don't give us false negatives.

The Dunnolly guy has been fossicking as long as my Stepdad has, I'm not proficient enough to know if it's 'best type stuff' but does the job...(finds stuff :) ) Convenient in the golden triangle here in Victoria, rents them daily, weekend, plus sells, like my Stepdad he has over 30-40 years experience...has picked up a few tips.

Dunnolly has some greak fossicking antique shops too, and nice pies. Win/win.

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/about.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------yowzer

I think other places have similar too, eg Wedderburn runs hot some weekends, St Arnaud, Avoca even...oh and Bendigo of course. Maryborough naturally. (Check out the post office and railway station buildings-beautiful architecture).

What a great idea for a thread!

The old man is a tragic for prospecting.

He uses a small sluice and goes around sunny corner east of Bathurst then pans through the heavy slurry the sluice produces.

I have been several times with him when using the sluice and used to go as a kid just panning. He has only recently got himself a detector (about 18months ago) and has used it in QLD, VIC and WA but has not had much success with it till more recently.

I got out some of my precious stash for him last time he was here and hid it around (away from the house) so he could practice.

Not that I am an expert (used pipe locators a bit at work, lol) far from it but as I explained to him you might only get 5 or 6 chances over a trip when you pass over gold so best to practice on gold you know is there and other metals to get some feel for what they sound like when you are over gold. When you consistantly find this you are ready IMO, not before. You can get say 500 exposures to teh sound gold makes rather than half a dozen a trip if you just forge out with your hired or brand spankler detector.

In broad terms to me the gold had a real dull sound to it v other metals that had more of a zing if that made any sense. He uses a minelab cost him about 7k with all the accessories.

I guess the trouble with that is even with smaller 1/2 ounce coins at 24 carat you are unlikely to get that same roar out in the field hunting for 1 - 3g pieces around 1/10 of an ounce and smaller.

Had lots of fun with it but for him he is still much more productive with the sluice in terms of weight but you never get the rush that modern day appeared to get when he found that nugget in the video above. :)

I am pretty keen to get into it again now. I reckon it makes a hell of a lot mroe sense than hitting the pokies at any rate. Get your gambling fix with a known upfront cost.

Modern day, you looked like you were in NSW? Is that where you are in the video you linked? Ever take trips to WA? and, Do you run tours?

The Father in Law also heads off into the WA goldfields whenever he can and after a few years had a small bit of luck this year

It's great he enjoys getting out and about and away from the rat race as he's yet to find enough to pay for fuel

I think the detectors they use are $3000

My brother and I use to go out a bit . I was too young back then and got bored too easily though but I'd like to try it again now , just to get out amongst the bush,creeks and gold fields country again. I love that type of landscape.

We use to go out into the Vic golden triangle , he found a bit because he went out a lot.
Once we found something huge , a mtr down in what we were sure was virgin ground - gotta be a wopping nugget :cool:

It got dark before we could get down to it so we went home , didn't sleep all night with excitement and headed back out a 5.30 am thinking we were bloody rich- boot full of digging tools .
By 11am we had it in our hands and ther it was. A 100 yr old 2ft square piece of galvanized iron .:(

Cheers

There is an Adelaide based company that makes gold detectors. I think they are called Minelab. http://www.minelab.com/

I don't know how reliable the machines are. The top of the line models, with accessories, cost around $6000. A lot of money to pay with no guarantee of a return unless you find something. There are cheaper machines available but i'm told they give off false negative signals.

Anyone had any experience with these machines?

this is how i like to prospect for gold, own shares the company that sells the equipment. I've got a bit in this one.

Here you go guys
https://www.prospectorspatch.com.au/eshop/
the prospectors patch is located in WA. I hear they are helpful to prospectors and sell detectors and related gear.

Also if your in WA you can go down to the WA Mines Department in East Perth and go to the 1st floor to grab some fossicking info and some maps on places to go etc. Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie is definately a good place to start.

As with anything, there is an abundance of information on the web and in books etc

Good Luck!

Back