anyone strata titling nsw flats lately ?

I have a block of flats and thinking of strata titling. Just been told by the water board separate meters are required. Just wondering if anyone has done it and what will be the cost to install the separate meters ? Will each flat need a water pipe from the meter ?

I have a block of flats and thinking of strata titling. Just been told by the water board separate meters are required. Just wondering if anyone has done it and what will be the cost to install the separate meters ? Will each flat need a water pipe from the meter ?

We own a block of 4 Strata Titled flats. They only have the one communal meter, which is paid out by the Body Corporate. Not sure if you can do this as ours have been Strata Titled for a number of years.

yes, each will have to have it's own meter. can't tell you how much cause we're doing one as i type, but haven't got the bill yet.

ring the plumber your pm uses and ask for a quote. or better yet, get your pm to get 3 quotes - it's what they get paid to do.

thanks lizzie, I will organise with the pm, how many units are you strata titling & may I ask how much is your quote ?

Last edited:
I would double check the info you obtained from the water board, they may have misunderstood your situation.

It would certainly be a requirement for vilas and townhouses as these are essentially independent residence's but highrise units are slightly different and most don't have the opportunity to have separate meters.

In fact, a lot of new units have common hot water where the hot water is metered for the charging of gas usage but the water used for both hot and cold is still shared.

Possibly JoanneK who has just completed a large highrise could expand on how the utilities were dealt with in her building.

In our case we have both strata blocks and blocks of flats that don't have (or didn't have) meters. We have been progressively installing meters to be used by the RE for recharging of water use, but we still receive only the one water usage bill from the water board. We now have a situation that for some units we can't install meters as there simply is no place to install them. We tried with these units to install the meter inside the unit but it becomes problematic getting reading in a timely fashion so this idea has been abandoned.

Hard to comment on cost as we have done/are doing them progressively but the cost per meter (from plumbing supplies) is about $150 and then there is still the install cost on top.

Cheers

handyandy, the confusion is different people in the water board (customer service officers) gave me different answers. The land surveyor thinks separate water meters are needed but he hasn't come across the situation (strange !). So my dilemma is I don't know if separate meters are required.

Back