ANZ Bank: Standard Variable Mortgate Rate Rises 39 Basis Points To 7.80%

CBA Standard variable rate is at 7.81% and ANZ at 7.80%

Hardly, any difference between the two even though CBA raised their rate by 6 basis points more.

Cheers,
Oracle.

At least a little brighter news from ANZ..........

Special Issue:
ANZ Variable Interest Rate changes
New measures for Home Loan customers
ANZ Variable Interest Rate changes
Variable Interest Rates
Please note the following changes to the interest rates for variable rate home loans effective Monday, 15 November 2010:

Loan Type Current Rate (p.a.) New Rate(p.a.) Change(p.a.)
ANZ Standard Variable Rate 7.41 % 7.80% +0.39%
ANZ Simplicity PLUS 6.71 % 7.10% +0.39%
ANZ Equity Manager 7.56 % 7.95% +0.39%

New measures for Home Loan customers
We are also introducing new measures to create more competition and help customers better manage mortgage repayments in an uncertain interest-rate environment.

From Monday 15 November:

ANZ will remove the Deferred Establishment Fee for mortgages (also known as an 'exit fee')
ANZ will also offer discounts for customers who apply for ANZ's 3-year fixed mortgage by 31 December 2010:
A 0.44% rate discount, reducing the rate to 7.10% p.a. (0.7% p.a. less than the standard variable rate)
Waiving ANZ's $600 Loan Approval Fee for all new and existing mortgage customers
Providing a subsidy of up to $1000 to offset switching costs charged by other institutions for new customers

wow, 7.80%!

3.05% higher than the RBA cash rate

Hasn't the norm been for banks to usually add an extra 2%?

Nobody in their right mind pays 7.80% - but yes their margins are increasing. And removing the exit fee is a clever ploy as the extra margin will recover the $700 fee in less than 18 months ( on a $350k loan) - if the others follow suit it completely degasses the government's competition balloon ie: to make switching easier.

It may at times actually be in the banks interest to allow customers to switch (CBA are promoting it with Bankwest) as they clawback all or part of the commission that they paid the brokers and indirectly keep the client.

Exit fees were never the real issue in terms of major banks - people don't switch because it is just too much effort.

Are they price fixing, seems the banks all follow each other into the same price category...Seems to me like there's not much competition, couldn't one of the big four maintain and then use that as a PR advantage over other banks or do they all play follow the leader...

I love it......when if they all remove the exit fees...they will be playing into my hands. Hope to have a couple of loans with 6.69% loans approved by next week valid for 60 days!

My change over will be than $250-300....beautiful! ;)

Are they price fixing, seems the banks all follow each other into the same price category...Seems to me like there's not much competition, couldn't one of the big four maintain and then use that as a PR advantage over other banks or do they all play follow the leader...

Has anyone read the fine print of ANZ's offer, is it retrospective on the exit fees waiver? It sounds like it to me reading the broker bulletin last night but I find that hard to believe!!

Cant you change to the package and pay the annual fee to get the 0.70% discount. On $300k that would be a $2100p.a saving.

Ah right. Pretty sure I pay an annual fee already so probably get the discount too. I don't really pay much attention - that's the broker's job. ;)

Either they have them or they dont. If they keep for retrospective, then what do you do? Lodge a new app for $10-50k, then get a new schedule prepared with a no DEF then refinance? IF they approve it? Easier to just scrap it.

But then the issues of where to go to is another story as well. Its not all just about rate, in a lot of cases I'm seeing its also about being able to service the proposal, as well as entry/exit costs.

Then the question of if the fed govt/asic is going to push on being able to transfer a mortgage without having to re-register it between the osr...

Bugger - was thinking of moving my Colonial IP loan over if they were around 0.25-0.35. This makes me rethink if it is worth it or not.

Bugger - was thinking of moving my Colonial IP loan over if they were around 0.25-0.35. This makes me rethink if it is worth it or not.

Still the lowest standard variable out of the big 4 being 7.67%. Next closest was ANZ at 7.8%, CBA at 7.81% then Westpac with 7.86%

Back