APEC Day 3 - report from the frontline

Things are really ramping up.
Our building foyer now has two, swarthy, dishevelled security guards. They still look sort of disinterested.
This morning, the police were towing away cars that were parked in the street outside our building and checking cars and people entering the hotel up the street and across the road.
George flew in last night and it was as if a switch got turned to 'serious'. The cops wandering the streets are frowning and look less at ease.
Apparently, there wasn't a protestor in sight last night. I reckon the weather may partly account for this. It's as if winter has come back - cold, a bit of a wind, scattered showers. Not great protesting weather.
George's hotel is a couple of blocks away from me and I walk past it in the mornings when I get off the train. Except this morning. I was diverted by the police. There was a big guy standing next to me while I waited for the lights to change so I could cross the road. I could tell he was one of George's guys - probably keeping an eye on our cops. I asked him whether he thought the CIA might have somehow changed the weather to keep the protestors away. He said, very straight faced: 'I'm sorry sir, I really con't comment on that.'
Right now, there is a helicopter hovering over us. I think it may be one of theirs - I don't recognise it. I did read that the cargo planes accompanying George that bring his motorcade also sometimes bring his helicopter. Not sure if that's true.
Lots of Sydney people are writing indignant letters to the newspaper and spouting off on talk back radio about the inconvenience etc. Most of them wouldn't even ever come into the city. I like it when the world comes to Sydney.
It's kind of like the Olympics, though instead of fit looking people wandering around in tracksuits, there are lots of serious looking people wandering around in uniforms and suits.
I do think our cops may have over reacted abit, though. When APEC was held in Hanoi last year everything was much more low key.
Scott

Thats the Americans for you. They make a "Star Spangled" song and dance presentation where ever they go.

I wouldnt be surprised if they come out with yet another two bob special medal award & presentation for serving at the Sydney APEC. ;)

Last edited:
Yep, bad timing Melissa.

Bizarrely, a fighter plane went over head a little while ago. Not sure what they could do if something happens in the city. I guess they may be enforcing some sort of no fly zone. I'd be nervous in that unidentified helicopter. Hope they don't bingle that old F111 - we don't have many left.

Love your work Scott...keep it up mate!! :D i am having a great chuckle at your stories.

we have a penchant for converting our f-111's into submarines...with only two years of service left in them, they might try to convert more to boost our navy!!:p

depreciator

Great reports - they allow non-Sydneysiders have a better idea of what is actually going on down there! Thanks!! :)

Cheers
LynnH

Apparently the motorway to and from the airport will be cleared of all traffic when Bush comes along it.

You know, with that, and all the security at the airport, and the barriers in the city, Bush will probably not get to see an actual, normal, living Australian in their native habitat. Isnt that amazing. Probably not see a single one of us. And we all wonder why he seems so out of touch...

Yep, he got a pretty good run in from the airport - no traffic.
I believe he almost got to see a couple of Newcastle blokes last night. I heard the end of an interview with one of them this morning on the radio.
I gather they were in the city and decided to drop into the Inter Continental hotel for a beer and a bite to eat.
So they just sauntered in and sat down. Nobody noticed them.
Then George showed up and somebody wondered who they were.
They were ushered out quickly I gather. A few red faces all around I suspect.
Scott

heard the fighter jets head down from newcastle last night just before 10am ... just in time for bush to land.

Right now, there is a helicopter hovering over us.
A bird in the Bush is worth two in the hand?

They had some extremely big choppers the last time a US president visited Canberra. I worked in the complex where they were landing. Some very powerful beasties.

Sounds like the agent you spoke to at the lights knew a little more about the weather than he was willing to let on :)

Back