Appliances online spam email doing the rounds

I thought I'd just let people know that I received an email from Appliances Online with a link to a receipt for a recent purchase. I smelled a rate from the start but having just been buying appliances, I certainly had been to that site a bit lately, and had my instinct been asleep I may well have clicked on thinking I had bought something from there.

Anyway, I called them and their phone lines are running hot. (The 1300 number on the spam email IS the correct number, but I looked it up. Why would a spammer use a genuine phone number? I suppose they just assume most people don't want to talk to a person and will simply click on the receipt link.)

It IS most definitely a spam. Goodness knows what the link does, but I thought it worthwhile posting here in case anybody has bought appliances lately and might not think before clicking the link.

Hi Wylie,

I received one of those as well and I had just purchased a fridge from them a few weeks ago. I was tempted to click, but resisted, luckily.

If you hover your mouse over the links in most email software, it will show you the actual link target thats behind the "text" in the email. So if the two line up then its usually legit, but if the email says its a Paypal account issue and the hover address is "jfejjfew.mywebsite.ru" then you know its a scam

Thanks for the heads up. We just bought a new fridge from Appliances Online a couple of weeks ago. I haven't received the spam email yet but I'm almost expecting it now.

If you hover your mouse over the links in most email software, it will show you the actual link target thats behind the "text" in the email. So if the two line up then its usually legit, but if the email says its a Paypal account issue and the hover address is "jfejjfew.mywebsite.ru" then you know its a scam

I just went back to the email and hovered my mouse over all the links. Whatever I hover over seems legitimate (at least no dodgy looking thing is coming up when I hover - and I hovered over everything "hover-able") but the company says it is definitely a scam.

Back