approaching Council and plans for development

hi everyone
im looking at a site in blue chip melbourne, for apartments

its zone 1 resi, there is moderate development going into the area, but are either all or high majority town houses etc.

im looking at a level apartment block,

I spoke to council and I told them what I had in mind, and they said, as long as it fits into the area, as long as its not more then 3 stores high, and 9m high according to the guidelines, they cant see anything in the rules that would rule it out,

my architect has suggested having a meeting with them even with hand drawn plans to get an indication,

Is this teh best way to go, and what would be my biggest challenge, as even the council does say, my verbal plans dont seem to contravene any existing rules/legislations,

I have plans from another site which was a 4 floor apartment block , and was thinking of taking them in and saying "im planning to build this identical however without the 4th floor"

my obvious biggest concern is buying/considering this block of land and then finding out or eventuating that its worth nothing due to not being able to build......

my obvious biggest concern is buying/considering this block of land and then finding out or eventuating that its worth nothing due to not being able to build......

No one said it is easy ;). Planning is more of an art. I'd make sure I had a Plan B. There are many obstacles you will face e.g. overlays, zoning, specific council controls, restrictions from service authorities etc etc.

You could pay over the odds and buy subject to a Town Planning Permit. This may be tough in a moving market such as Melbourne.

Also, be prepared for VCAT if apartments in the immediate vicinity are not the norm even if council does support your application. 10 month wait at VCAT plus big $$. We had one in Fitzroy.....heritage overlays, a lot of objections, countless engineers, redesigning of plans etc etc. This took 2+ years. Successful but nevertheless took time.

Oscar

council planners aren't there to issue design advice.

planners are there to assess your aplication on it's merits and provide approval in context with current policy within their own mandated parameters.

the onus is on the applicant to prove it's compliance.

i did a 20 unit, 3 storey (2 + parking ground floor, 9x each level thereafter) in Storrington Council and it wasn't hard to make it comply.

Council Town Planning Schemes must form part of the overall client brief. There's no point coming up with a great building and then having to justify why you're breaking all the rules.

Using Performance Statements / Criteria to get something over the line for a few items is expected in any development - it's very hard to make a development comply with any policy 100% due to construction constraints.

But just dont let anyone design up a great looking building that asks for a planner to look at the building only - out of context with current policy; because they wont do it.

council planners aren't there to issue design advice.

planners are there to assess your aplication on it's merits and provide approval in context with current policy within their own mandated parameters.

the onus is on the applicant to prove it's compliance.

i did a 20 unit, 3 storey (2 + parking ground floor, 9x each level thereafter) in Storrington Council and it wasn't hard to make it comply.

Council Town Planning Schemes must form part of the overall client brief. There's no point coming up with a great building and then having to justify why you're breaking all the rules.

Using Performance Statements / Criteria to get something over the line for a few items is expected in any development - it's very hard to make a development comply with any policy 100% due to construction constraints.

But just dont let anyone design up a great looking building that asks for a planner to look at the building only - out of context with current policy; because they wont do it.

All excellent advice.

Also, for NSW people looking at the same, keep in mind you also need to provide evidence of compliance with SEPP 65 for apartment buildings.

In your previous thread I did mention to speak to a Council Planner to get their opinion, however whichever drawings you do show them need to comply with the Council's Rescode. As Aaron mentioned above there is no point in having a great building designed that is out of context with the site and surrounds and wouldn't allow for compliance with the Rescode for the site.

Although I do know the details of the site I will provide some general comments:

If you are to approach this on your own I would be familiarising yourself with the relevant rescode and schedules for that Council, any local planning policies and neighbourhood character statements for the area and see if you still think the proposal you want would work within the site context.

Also have a look to see if there are any similar level/flat roofed houses/buildings etc in an area. If the whole area has pitched roofs, than a flat roof apartment building will not fit in, but if there are examples of flat roofs in the area it is likely to be better received by the Council.

If you do think it would still work, then approach the Council, or better yet approach a architect or planner that is familiar with the area as they will likely be more helpful than the Council's Planner who will may tell you what won't work but won't suggest any changes to you on how to make it work.

Back