Approval required for new front fence?

Is council approval generally required to install a new front fence? I realise each council differs.

It is a corner block and currently there is a 1 metre high wire gate type fence, not private at all. I'd like to put the maximum size fence in, can you generally just go ahead and do that without asking council?

I should note that this house has no backyard, hence the reason for a high front fence is to get at least a bit of privacy outside.

Calculate what the fence will cost$$$$ , then go and buy some large hedge type plants.
use these for a fence instead, although being a corner does this restrict vision for turning drivers.

Pretty much any council will have a (very low) maximum height within X metres of the corner for visibility reasons. Quite often you see houses on corners with very high front fences and they've just snipped off the corner (ie, the bit that requires a low fence) and left that with a few daisies or whatnot and their fortress style front gate is in the snipped-off part of fence on the diagonal, which is probably the look you'd be after.

Check with your council.

Not buying that house now, thanks for the replies though :)
Vendors took too long to respond to our offer and we found something better in the meantime.

Is council approval generally required to install a new front fence? I realise each council differs.

It is a corner block and currently there is a 1 metre high wire gate type fence, not private at all. I'd like to put the maximum size fence in, can you generally just go ahead and do that without asking council?QUOTE]

Here in Victoria a fence can be constructed without permits/approval that is under 1.2m high,even on a street corner. Have the regulations here in front of me.

Here in Victoria a fence can be constructed without permits/approval that is under 1.2m high,even on a street corner. Have the regulations here in front of me.

That doesn't take in to account the possibility that a planning permit may be required. Best to speak with your local councils's planning and building departments.

Tools

That doesn't take in to account the possibility that a planning permit may be required. Best to speak with your local councils's planning and building departments.

Tools

Probably safer to, I agree. Although you'd be pretty unlucky to get caught out, wouldn't you?

I had recently replaced a fence on a property in the City of Stonnington and they had indicated that anything above 1.5 mt would need a permit.

Anything less, I was free to do what I liked!

Back